ADVERTISEMENT

Caribbean/Snorkeling

DirtyJohns97

HB Heisman
Oct 2, 2001
The ex fiancé and I are looking to go to the Caribbean in January. We have never snorkeled before but we are trying to take this on as a hobby. Any HBEAKOT recommendations?

Reactions: BrianNole777
Wear a life jacket if you're lazy like me and want to float without too much effort.

Have a blast. You probably can't lose wherever you go...just ask a local guide for recommendations.

Reactions: DirtyJohns97
The ex fiancé and I are looking to go to the Caribbean in January. We have never snorkeled before but we are trying to take this on as a hobby. Any HBEAKOT recommendations?
I’ve probably snorkeled 10x and by no means am I an expert. Also 1x SCUBA. St. Lucia was the best location we’ve been to in the Caribbean for reefs, water clarity and aquatic life. I’ve heard The Cayman Islands are excellent as well, but have never been.

My comparisons are Jamaica, Cancun, Playa, Cozumel and the DR. None of them are in the same ballpark as St Lucia.

Skip the Caribbean and head to Cozumel. Unbelievable snorkeling.

GF and I usually jump in around her parents condo, snorkel down to a little hotel a few doors down, and hop in the pool for 2 for 1 happy hour. If there is heaven, I hope it's like that 😍

Reactions: Tom Paris

GF and I usually jump in around her parents condo, snorkel down to a little hotel a few doors down, and hop in the pool for 2 for 1 happy hour. If there is heaven, I hope it's like that 😍

I went snorkeling in Cozumel in 2006.

Good stuff.

• Love
Reactions: fredjr82
trunk-bay-snorkeling-map.jpg
trunk-bay-beach-st-john-usvi.jpg

Trunk Bay, St. John USVI.

Coz once. Might have been a bad location or a bad day. Wasn’t impressed with the snorkeling, especially how much it was hyped. It was also 20 years ago and we haven’t been back to Coz since.

Coz once. Might have been a bad location or a bad day. Wasn’t impressed with the snorkeling, especially how much it was hyped. It was also 20 years ago and we haven’t been back to Coz since.

Something weird for sure. We've snorkeled in Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, and Cozumel. Cozumel was head and shoulders above the other two. We always go a little North of the airport. The southern side of the island is pretty rough ocean

Fogging and water getting in my mask has been a problem so far
Here’s how we have always done it.

Try to get a good seal around your face. Doesn’t need to be super tight, though. Just snug.

Clean the mask with dish soap if it’s still pretty new. Sometimes they have oil/film from the manufacturing process that fogs easier.

Get a tiny squirt bottle and mix a little dish soap with water. When you go in the pool next, squirt a couple drops in a dry mask and smear it around with clean fingers. Rinse out the soapy residue and you should be good to go. You can repeat as needed in a couple hours or when you go out again. If it’s working you can do that when you’re in the Caribbean.

Here’s how we have always done it.

Try to get a good seal around your face. Doesn’t need to be super tight, though. Just snug.

Clean the mask with dish soap if it’s still pretty new. Sometimes they have oil/film from the manufacturing process that fogs easier.

Get a tiny squirt bottle and mix a little dish soap with water. When you go in the pool next, squirt a couple drops in a dry mask and smear it around with clean fingers. Rinse out the soapy residue and you should be good to go. You can repeat as needed in a couple hours or when you go out again. If it’s working you can do that when you’re in the Caribbean.
Thanks (bump)

Get on a cruise ship that stops at several islands. They’ll all offer snorkeling opportunities with private excursions. I like Dominica and Barbados but I wouldn’t want to spend multiple days on either just for the snorkeling fun.

Get on a cruise ship that stops at several islands. They’ll all offer snorkeling opportunities with private excursions. I like Dominica and Barbados but I wouldn’t want to spend multiple days on either just for the snorkeling fun.
Which did you like better, Dominica or Barbados?

Fogging and water getting in my mask has been a problem so far
A new mask (if it’s decent) needs the film removed as mentioned above. The easiest way to do that is with a lighter.

What kind of mask did you get? A properly fitted mask that is of decent quality won’t leak. Most people’s biggest problem is not pulling back their hair and breaking the seal. Put the back of the mask on first then front. Then lift mask away from your face with one hand and pull back your hair with your other hand. Shaving can help, too, but some masks work better than others with facial hair.

If you are having fogging issues one of the better solutions is to purposely get a little bit of water in your mask. Then you move your head angle to use the water to remove the fog.

To clear water in your mask push on top of mask on your forehead, lean your head up a bit and blow hard out of your nose.

I am an avid scuba diver, so I don’t have a lot of specific snorkel suggestions. Have fun.

Just edited my post above.

If all else fails with fog, spit works.

A lot of fogging issues come from you working too hard and getting heated. The biggest thing to work on is your fin game. In salt water, especially with a current like in Cozumel you shouldn’t have to do much at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT