ADVERTISEMENT

Carlisle school district announces they'll send teachers who are under COVID-19 quarantine back into the classroom

My first reaction is that they are idiots for not closing schools when you have an outbreak.

Idiocy aside, assuming they must keep the school open for some other reason: why don't they seek other school employees to basically be a room monitor (keep the kids in order), then wheel in a flatscreen TV and have the teacher give the lesson from zoom? Surely there are admin staff, etc. that could be in the room while the teacher still quarantines. Between principle, assistant principle, secretary, volunteer parents who sign a waiver, etc. there must be a way to manage this. If you have exhausted all of those relevant people then maybe its time to reconsider the school staying open.

My first reaction is that they are idiots for not closing schools when you have an outbreak.

Idiocy aside, assuming they must keep the school open for some other reason: why don't they seek other school employees to basically be a room monitor (keep the kids in order), then wheel in a flatscreen TV and have the teacher give the lesson from zoom? Surely there are admin staff, etc. that could be in the room while the teacher still quarantines. Between principle, assistant principle, secretary, volunteer parents who sign a waiver, etc. there must be a way to manage this. If you have exhausted all of those relevant people then maybe its time to reconsider the school staying open.

Yep

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler

There was a massive shortage on subs before last spring. It will be worse. There are simply not enough people to cover the classrooms when teachers are out sick.

There was a massive shortage on subs before last spring. It will be worse. There are simply not enough people to cover the classrooms when teachers are out sick.

This is correct assessment. This topic is a preemptive attempt to not run out of teachers by sending them back to school while sick. This is really insane.

My mother in law, no pic, is a retired full time teacher who substitutes. She is not substituting this year due to her age and the health issues of her husband.

Reactions: unIowa

Yep and the grown up adult answer is still: Don't Allow C19 positive teachers/students to attend school. As @srams21 stated before, the schools and state are just asking for lawsuits galore out of these actions as they clearly display negligence on their part.

Yep and the grown up adult answer is still: Don't Allow C19 positive teachers/students to attend school. As @srams21 stated before, the schools and state are just asking for lawsuits galore out of these actions as they clearly display negligence on their part.
Not to mention the state lowered the requirements for substitute teachers to account for this problem. So now they are basically saying that was a poor solution that didn't actually solve anything. And on top of that, we are now letting previously unqualified subs in our schools while still having asymptomatic teachers teaching.

This really isn't that hard. Sometimes I seriously wonder how some people get the jobs the have

Not to mention the state lowered the requirements for substitute teachers to account for this problem. So now they are basically saying that was a poor solution that didn't actually solve anything. And on top of that, we are now letting previously unqualified subs in our schools while still having asymptomatic teachers teaching.

This really isn't that hard. Sometimes I seriously wonder how some people get the jobs the have
Dumb voters.

To be honest why would the best and brightest of our country ever want to go into politics with the political system (not govt) we currently have in place?

Reactions: srams21
Do they like getting sued? Because this is how you get sued.
No this comes from CDC guidelines for essential workers. Some of you should do a little research before opining.

Look it up.

No one would ever be successfully sued following a CDC guideline.

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
No this comes from CDC guidelines for essential workers. Some of you should do a little research before opining.

Look it up.

No one would ever be successfully sued following a CDC guideline.

That is true, but the CDC has been acting strangely lately. Almost like something was pushing some sort of agenda.

I'm also a retired teacher choosing not to sub this year It's not worth the risk to family members
But all of us in the healthcare field will just go to work anyway. Its not worth the risk to my family either yet I continue to dutifully do my job nonetheless.

Now I realize you are a sub and do not have to work. So this is a reply to you but not really directed at you per se. My comment is more directed to those that teach full time and have been complaining very loudly since Reynolds announced her plan to return to schools.

Reactions: anon_89hvcc2uyzmki
That is true, but the CDC has been acting strangely lately. Almost like something was pushing some sort of agenda.
Not not at all. Unless the agenda is allowing essential workers to work.

I believe that the 14 day quarantine for exposed individuals is an over reaction. Personally. But if it isnt critical that you work, perhaps the better part of caution is the calculus. But if it is critical that you do, they are relaxing the recommendations.

Not not at all. Unless the agenda is allowing essential workers to work.

I believe that the 14 day quarantine for exposed individuals is an over reaction. Personally. But if it isnt critical that you work, perhaps the better part of caution is the calculus. But if it is critical that you do, they are relaxing the recommendations.

I'll listen to what the major research organizations recommend, but there are many medical experts that are questioning this decision. It could be because of supply issues or it could be politically motivated. The article linked below does mention the change in policy originally came from HHS and not directly from the CDC. It also mentions that a testing supply shortage may be a factor as well (which shouldn't be happening at this point).

Just another example of how this administration has cast doubt on the competency of every aspect of our government and why it is important to not do that. The CDC just gave an order and instead of doing what they can to follow it everyone is wondering where in the hell the decision to make such a major and drastic change in policy came from.

*Note: The article also mentions that HHS is going to hold a briefing so hopefully some evidence to go with the decision will be presented there.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
But all of us in the healthcare field will just go to work anyway. Its not worth the risk to my family either yet I continue to dutifully do my job nonetheless.

Now I realize you are a sub and do not have to work. So this is a reply to you but not really directed at you per se. My comment is more directed to those that teach full time and have been complaining very loudly since Reynolds announced her plan to return to schools.
I appreciate everyone in the health care field who goes to work everyday. There is no way we can get through a pandemic without brave healthcare workers. However, many routine appointments have been switched to telehealth and healthcare locations require patients to wear masks. The workers are provided with PPE and social distancing is observed in all areas. Schools in Iowa are being held with full classrooms where 6 feet social distancing is impossible. Teachers and students are using their own masks. Some teachers are dealing with very young students who don't fully understand the need to use precautions.

There is nothing good about this pandemic. The difference between teachers and healthcare workers in this situation is enormous. Without doctors, nurses, technicians, etc. the pandemic will not be controlled. On the other hand, students can receive education virtually without anyone dying from the lack of in person contact. It wouldn't be as effective as in person school, but it's not deadly for the students or staff. One of the benefits of substitute teaching is I can choose whether or not I want to work. Until the virus is under control I won't risk it.

Last edited:
I'll listen to what the major research organizations recommend, but there are many medical experts that are questioning this decision. It could be because of supply issues or it could be politically motivated. The article linked below does mention the change in policy originally came from HHS and not directly from the CDC. It also mentions that a testing supply shortage may be a factor as well (which shouldn't be happening at this point).

Just another example of how this administration has cast doubt on the competency of every aspect of our government and why it is important to not do that. The CDC just gave an order and instead of doing what they can to follow it everyone is wondering where in the hell the decision to make such a major and drastic change in policy came from.

*Note: The article also mentions that HHS is going to hold a briefing so hopefully some evidence to go with the decision will be presented there.
Or it could be they have realized how futile contact tracing and the 14 day quarantine of asymptomatic contacts is overall. Which is the only reason to test those without symptoms.
I’m not privy to the data by those things I have questioned all along as well.

Do they send you in to work with just a cloth mask and a bottle of hand sanitizer as your only defense to the virus? Then instead of giving you one patient at a time, they throw 30 of them into the same room with you?

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
This is not changing the guidance for exposed essential workers. That has been in place for months. This is the CDC telling ANYBODY that they don't need to get tested if exposed which is asinine. It's hard to tell an asymptomatic exposed person to quarantine for two weeks so that is exactly why they should be tested... So they know and aren't guessing!!!

Do they send you in to work with just a cloth mask and a bottle of hand sanitizer as your only defense to the virus? Then instead of giving you one patient at a time, they throw 30 of them into the same room with you?
Interesting you add that. Simple surgical masks(not N95) have been shown to adequately protect healthcare workers. As long as you aren’t doing what are called aerosol generating procedures, an N95 isn’t additive. So as far as PPE is concerned, you are adequately protected. Multiple studies.

And yes, I work in an urban ER and there is not great distancing. There are people everywhere. Mainly staff but lots of them. Lots. Think of all the TV shows you’ve seen. Maybe not quite that chaotic but close.

What a cluster$%@#.

Kimmy Reynolds has only listened to three people in her life... Terry Branstad, Donald Trump, and Jim Beam.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT