ADVERTISEMENT

Carly Fiorina accidentally said something really smart about weed

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
"We are misleading young people when we tell them that marijuana is just like having a beer. It's not." -- Carly Fiorina discussing marijuana at the CNN GOP debate last night.

This statement is 100 percent correct -- but not for the reason Fiorina thinks it is. The point she was trying to make was that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol. She says that today's marijuana is a lot stronger than the marijuana her generation grew up with, and links marijuana use to addiction to other, far more dangerous drugs, like the ones that cost her stepdaughter her life.

Linking marijuana to more dangerous drugs is a version of the "gateway hypothesis" -- that pot use inevitably leads to experimentation with more dangerous drugs. But the evidence does not support this claim. It's true that many people who use hard drugs like heroin and cocaine have tried marijuana in the past. But the overwhelming majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to try other drugs.

Moreover, marijuana is, in fact, far safer than alcohol. Compared to alcohol drinkers, marijuana users are

A 2010 Lancet study found that marijuana was far less harmful than alcohol at both the individual and societal levels. It's less addictive. Marijuana users are considerably less prone to violence than drinkers.

This is not to say that marijuana is completely safe. Like any other human activity, there are risks associated with smoking pot. The more you smoke, and the younger you start smoking, the greater these risks become. The same can be said for alcohol.

But Fiorina is right that smoking pot isn't like having a beer -- on balance, it's a lot safer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...really-smart-about-weed/?tid=trending_strip_1

You damn well better not say that to her face! You'll get "THE LOOK".
A Hillary-Fiorina debate would be fantastic in that regard... I say make it happen even before the primaries and before it's clear Hillary's been passed by. The sooner the better. It's Hillary's opportunity to regain support, and a win for Carly would vault her to the top of the GOP field. A loss, for either, would likely spell the end of their run.

Put it on Comedy Central...

A Hillary-Fiorina debate would be fantastic in that regard... I say make it happen even before the primaries and before it's clear Hillary's been passed by. The sooner the better. It's Hillary's opportunity to regain support, and a win for Carly would vault her to the top of the GOP field. A loss, for either, would likely spell the end of their run.

Put it on Comedy Central...

Steven Colbert as moderator.

I would guess a lot of hardcore drug users started on weed. The weed didnt cause them to try harder drugs, it was just the easiest to access as they started out.

I would guess a lot of hardcore drug users started on weed. The weed didnt cause them to try harder drugs, it was just the easiest to access as they started out.

I thought this was the definition of gateway drug? Now I'm confused

"We are misleading young people when we tell them that marijuana is just like having a beer. It's not." -- Carly Fiorina discussing marijuana at the CNN GOP debate last night.

This statement is 100 percent correct -- but not for the reason Fiorina thinks it is. The point she was trying to make was that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol. She says that today's marijuana is a lot stronger than the marijuana her generation grew up with, and links marijuana use to addiction to other, far more dangerous drugs, like the ones that cost her stepdaughter her life.

Linking marijuana to more dangerous drugs is a version of the "gateway hypothesis" -- that pot use inevitably leads to experimentation with more dangerous drugs. But the evidence does not support this claim. It's true that many people who use hard drugs like heroin and cocaine have tried marijuana in the past. But the overwhelming majority of people who use marijuana do not go on to try other drugs.

Moreover, marijuana is, in fact, far safer than alcohol. Compared to alcohol drinkers, marijuana users are

A 2010 Lancet study found that marijuana was far less harmful than alcohol at both the individual and societal levels. It's less addictive. Marijuana users are considerably less prone to violence than drinkers.

This is not to say that marijuana is completely safe. Like any other human activity, there are risks associated with smoking pot. The more you smoke, and the younger you start smoking, the greater these risks become. The same can be said for alcohol.

But Fiorina is right that smoking pot isn't like having a beer -- on balance, it's a lot safer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...really-smart-about-weed/?tid=trending_strip_1
If you get good enough weed, you have no incentive to bother to try and find "harder" drugs.

Or so I've, uh, been told.

I thought she lost a good moment last night after mentioning her step daughter died from drugs. She ruined it by taking a swipe at Jeb Bush. Fiorina has a lack of warmth. She could have established an emotional bond with a lot of potential voters, but flubbed it.

Reactions: cigaretteman
That was one of my favorite parts of the debate. I couldn't figure out why Paul didn't hammer the group on their hypocrisy towards states rights. It seemed like Christy was saying he believes in states rights, but marijuana is too important to leave to the states and Paul let him off the hook by focusing on medical marijuana.

jefferson.jpg

Me too, Tommy.

I thought she lost a good moment last night after mentioning her step daughter died from drugs. She ruined it by taking a swipe at Jeb Bush. Fiorina has a lack of warmth. She could have established an emotional bond with a lot of potential voters, but flubbed it.
I don't give a rats ass about an 'EMOTIONAL BOND"give me someone who will chase down the rat bastard's from ISIS and start growing the economy and I am in.

That was one of my favorite parts of the debate. I couldn't figure out why Paul didn't hammer the group on their hypocrisy towards states rights. It seemed like Christy was saying he believes in states rights, but marijuana is too important to leave to the states and Paul let him off the hook by focusing on medical marijuana.

How is it a states rights issue compared to any of the federal drug laws?

Unless, of course, you are saying all drug laws should be enforced only by the states?

What isn't what determines state rights? My opinion?

I'm pretty comfortable letting states regulate all drugs. Not sure why the Feds need to be involved

You replied to my question about how it's a states rights issue.

Now you seem to have answered it. All drug enforcement should be left to states. That makes sense. Saying it JUST for marijuana does not.

Reactions: Hawk and Awe
It is only safer if you ignore the side effects of smoking and what it does to your body.

It is only safer if you ignore the side effects of smoking and what it does to your body.

Key word bro - YOUR body.

You could say the same thing about sugar, fat, caffeine......

I don't think many argue pot is good for you or would somehow make this country better (ignoring tax and drug enforcement implications). I'm not even arguing my state (Iowa) would be better off with legalized marijuana, but I do believe its riddiculous that the people don't get to vote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT