ADVERTISEMENT

Carton top 3

I could see that happening, but the fact that he only visited Michigan and Indiana and hasn’t visited Ohio state, Marquette, or Xavier makes me think they are cut. If he was going to keep one of those three, he would’ve visited by now. I know you could say the same about Iowa, but he’s been there plenty of times and his friendship with Pat is really going to help.

Nope, this is where he knocks Iowa out tomease the pain
One for the old-timers
Mees.jpg

Maybe it is just me but I hate this "hey look at me!" count down and this "lets see how many followers and likes I can get on my Twitter account."

A final 6? Fine. Go on your official visits, discuss everything with your parents and make your choice from there.

U can see why Kirk and Fran hate Twitter

Last edited:
Iowa is in top three.
1 he wouldn’t do it this early being from Iowa and dropping the state school. Catches too much flack
2. Patrick mccaffery is a friend and there is mutual respect there. He would have told Fran so he could look elsewhere.

Well the drama continues. Can't think we we have ever had a five star commit to Iowa. I really think he could be that missing piece to put the Hawks toward the top of the Big 10. Garza - top 100, Wieskamp - top 50, P Mc - top 50, C Mc - top 100 + Carton would be a great young base for the future. Add in current players Bohannon, Kriener, Nunge, Dailey, Pemsl, and Fredrick would be a deep team.
I think Cook and Moss will leave after this year.

Michigan going to have a few guys declare for draft after the year? Seems awfully full on rides.

I too subscribe to the thought that it is IA, MI, and IN as his top 3 for reasons others have mentioned - mainly because the timing of this announcement given MI and IN as his only two official visits + been to IA many, many times; has a great relationship w/ the staff and players; and being the state school 45 mins away.

Announcing his top 3 is the most respectful thing he can do for the three programs that he does not intend on selecting so they can move onto other recruits, not waste time on hosting him on an official visit and recruiting him.

Reactions: perryhawk
Sure hope Iowa is in the top 3, but lets face it is Fran misses here and Xavier his time is up and he needs to get fired asap. Missing 2 huge names in your back yard is not acceptable.

Sure hope Iowa is in the top 3, but lets face it is Fran misses here and Xavier his time is up and he needs to get fired asap. Missing 2 huge names in your back yard is not acceptable.

That’s extreme.

Although I do agree that he really needs to land at least one of those guys to keep the needle moving in the right direction. You can’t consistently miss on the best talent in your state and expect to improve your program.

I think some here put too much emphasis on the whether a kid is from Iowa or not. Fran just needs to make sure the class is solid period, regardless of where that talent comes from. Got a good start with P-Mac. JMO - though it's also my opinion that he's @ Iowa thru P-Macs tenure at Iowa regardless barring something shocking, so he better have a backup plan in mind for our sakes!

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj

When was the last time a top 20 kid stayed in state? Either Iowa or ISU? I can’t think of any. Saying these two need to be gets for Iowa or Fran needs to be fired immediately is very extreme. It’s tough to sign these types of talent.

Maybe it is just me but I hate this "hey look at me!" count down and this "lets see how many followers and likes I can get on my Twitter account."

A final 6? Fine. Make your choice from there.

U can see why Kirk and Fran hate Twitter
Amen to that. I get that he is just a kid, but c’mon. Make your choice and stick with it. No need to drag it out.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Did he mention what time he would announce his top 3??

I must say that DJs recruitment does have me quite a bit excited... What a huge get this would be for the Hawks.. I think it would propel Iowa to the next level. With anything being a possibility. Beyond B1G titles. But that is just IMHO...

Go Hawks!

Amen to that. I get that he is just a kid, but c’mon. Make your choice and stick with it. No need to drag it out.

ok just once more...I'm sorry this isnt fair. I know the kid & people around him that are real close....he is not dragging it out. Even if he was (which he isnt) its his life, his future.. not yours, not mine, not some internet poster junkies. He has mention his timeline on several occasions (late summer, before school, before HS basketball). Its July 8th. He is narrowing it down to 3 so the others' can move on. He isnt going to decide until he knows (which he doesnt).

Lump it, like it or dont like it...he is the one who has worked his ass off to get to his current standing...its only right he makes his decision on his timeline.

ok just once more...I'm sorry this isnt fair. I know the kid & people around him that are real close....he is not dragging it out. Even if he was (which he isnt) its his life, his future.. not yours, not mine, not some internet poster junkies. He has mention his timeline on several occasions (late summer, before school, before HS basketball). Its July 8th. He is narrowing it down to 3 so the others' can move on. He isnt going to decide until he knows (which he doesnt).

Lump it, like it or dont like it...he is the one who has worked his ass off to get to his current standing...its only right he makes his decision on his timeline.
I think the "dragging it out" is less in reference to how long it is taking him to commit and more to recruits in general releasing top tens, eights, sixes, etc. Yes it is his life but I think it is entirely fair to say that a lot of recruits are more interested in the celebrity they get on social media by releasing these lists then anything else. Not saying Carton is doing this at all, by all accounts he is a good kid, but a lot of the time I wish recruiting was less of a big deal than it is. Of course, here I am on a recruiting site, so :eek:

When was the last time a top 20 kid stayed in state? Either Iowa or ISU? I can’t think of any. Saying these two need to be gets for Iowa or Fran needs to be fired immediately is very extreme. It’s tough to sign these types of talent.

Right.

But if we ever hope to be better than we are, we have to start recruiting better than we have.

I think the "dragging it out" is less in reference to how long it is taking him to commit and more to recruits in general releasing top tens, eights, sixes, etc. Yes it is his life but I think it is entirely fair to say that a lot of recruits are more interested in the celebrity they get on social media by releasing these lists then anything else. Not saying Carton is doing this at all, by all accounts he is a good kid, but a lot of the time I wish recruiting was less of a big deal than it is. Of course, here I am on a recruiting site, so :eek:

sorry " Make your choice and stick with it. No need to drag it out ..is a clear reference to a commitment timeline.

..the decision of the Top3 is so the other schools can move on...that is the reason & obviously that is what it accomplishes....if he wasnt making it public what would be the response from the internet poster junkies? Cant have it both ways. Do you want to know who is still in the picture or not? IF so, then suggesting it is a celebrity move its pretty unfair.

Celebrity status for high school recruits is more of a creation by adults posting on social media than it is the other way around....especially by those who dont even know the particulars or the kid.

sorry " Make your choice and stick with it. No need to drag it out ..is a clear reference to a commitment timeline.

..the decision of the Top3 is so the other schools can move on...that is the reason & obviously that is what it accomplishes....if he wasnt making it public what would be the response from the internet poster junkies? Cant have it both ways. Do you want to know who is still in the picture or not? IF so, then suggesting it is a celebrity move its pretty unfair.

Celebrity status for high school recruits is more of a creation by adults posting on social media than it is the other way around....especially by those who dont even know the particulars or the kid.
I take your point but he announces on Saturday he will release his top 3 on Sunday night so he knows who they are. I am saying just say who it is now not this wait until a later date crap.But it is his show he can do what he wants I suppose.

I take your point but he announces on Saturday he will release his top 3 on Sunday night so he knows who they are. I am saying just say who it is now not this wait until a later date crap.But it is his show he can do what he wants I suppose.

this is a process u dont understand but in typical fashion try to rationalize.
its not a show..its a process that involve others in the presence...especially those assisting in contacting those schools not selected..."before an announcement".
ever think that maybe those involved were not available til the next day?
so he let those interested in following him on saturday that he would announce the next day..(thats a later date?...one day?...come on).

That’s extreme.

Although I do agree that he really needs to land at least one of those guys to keep the needle moving in the right direction. You can’t consistently miss on the best talent in your state and expect to improve your program.
Fran and his team need to overachieve consistently and better recruits will sign up. The mental/emotional aspect of coaches and players needs to improve. That alone would result in an extra 3-5 wins a year which could be the difference between making the tournament or not .

Well said. He’s not an attention whore by any stretch.

Hopefully he makes a quick decision which would allow Fran to pursue other options if needed.
Do you think Fran is saying under his breath, "JFC, do you want to come to Iowa or not? If not, we will move on."

I just don't like this at all. Go on your official visits, take some time to ponder, and make your decision. Don't drag it out and play this "look at me" game. Time to start acting like an adult.

Reactions: *hawksrock*
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT