ADVERTISEMENT

Carton top 3

Fran did absolutely nothing wrong in recruiting Carton.... it is fair to say 'no one' recruited him harder than Fran & Iowa.

IF DJ had/has any thoughts about his faith in the future of Iowa basketball ..he would not say so..not his DNA ... so I cant speak to that.

In the end.. OhioState was the best fit for him. Yes the roster next fall (2019) was a factor..Iowa returns (as of now) every single so-called PG & even wing player with the exception of Nicholas Baer...thats Bohannon, McCaffery, Moss, Dailey, JoeW, Frederick..+ P McCaffery...and last year Fran started Nunge in a number of games along side Cook & Garza...'one less guard'...Ohio State is pretty committed to more of a '3' guard lineup.

...the biggest factor was Holtmann said he needed a Point Guard....he picked DJ as their top target & stayed the course throughout the process...not every school was willing to stay the course. I'm as disappointed as anyone that DJ wont be playing at Iowa but it wasnt what Iowa didnt do...it was more about what OhioState offers.

sometimes it is timing,..would have been interesting to see what would have happen if DJ was a year younger and the previously mentioned seniors were gone...Fran has alot to sell to class of 2020 recruits...
thanks for your thoughts.

i know DJ wants to win and last season obviously left a mark in more ways than one; hopefully we rebound this year

That's interesting you feel that way. I think it does suck that he's going to a B1G school, but I'm not sure why you would feel any better or worse had he chosen Michigan or Indiana (although admittedly given the amount of douchebag Indiana fans who showed up here I was kinda glad it wasn't the Hoosiers).

I think hawkeye-i bob has explained things pretty well. The reality is every state has seen highly rated kids go to other schools. If I recall, Chris Kingsbury was from Ohio and he chose Iowa despite being a McD's AA. I was a teenager at the time so I don't have any idea who offered Kingsbury out of high school and who didn't, but the greater point is there are a variety of factors in why a kid chooses a school. Sometimes it's just as simple as a kid making a greater connection with a certain coach than others. Obviously, DJ was really impressed by Ohio State's coach. Nothing wrong with it.

My wife went to Indiana so I had plenty of reasons to not want him to go there. I have many friends and co-workers who went to Michigan and are great people. I know very few people who actually went to OSU (most went to Bowling Green, or Miami of Ohio, Toledo, etc.) and they only follow football. In his scenario, no one is talking smack to me and I actually feel a little bad for DJ knowing who he is playing in front of as fans.

Just my personal take and some justification for it.

Last edited:
My wife went to Indiana so I had plenty of reasons to not want him to go there. I have many friends and co-workers who went to Michigan and are great people. I know very few people who actually went to OSU (most went to Bowling Green, or Miami of Ohio, Toledo, etc.) and they only follow football. In his scenario, no one is talking smack to me and I actually feel a little and for DJ.

Just my personal take and some justification for it.

You think DJ is destined to make terrible choices because he picked Ohio State? I admit their fan base is large, rude and utterly distatestful at times, but you can prescribe that to any large sum of people. I can only assume you just dislike the school for its athletic prowess.

Stating a large group of people from varying backgrounds, beliefs and other variables are destined to be bad people or are more prone to bad decisions is as dumb as the Buckeye fans who thought Iowa was a backwater State and program.

You think DJ is destined to make terrible choices because he picked Ohio State? I admit their fan base is large, rude and utterly distatestful at times, but you can prescribe that to any large sum of people. I can only assume you just dislike the school for its athletic prowess.

Stating a large group of people from varying backgrounds, beliefs and other variables are destined to be bad people or are more prone to bad decisions is as dumb as the Buckeye fans who thought Iowa was a backwater State and program.

Yes, I believe it was a bad choice & I believe a choice this major reflects on his decision-making ability. I think I did a fine job of explaining my admitted preconceived notions about the Buckeye fans. The only thing that I have to base my opinions on is my direct (not internet fodder) interactions with the three fan bases. The result of those interactions is that it made me feel less irritated about losing him. If you can’t handle or dislike my rationale or feel it isn’t sound, I suggest you block me. Otherwise, get used to reading more opinions that may perturb you.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe it was a bad choice & I believe a choice this major reflects on his decision-making ability. I think I did a fine job of explaining my admitted preconceived notions about the Buckeye fans. The only thing that I have to base my opinions on is my direct (not internet fodder) interactions with the three fan bases. The result of those interactions is that it made me feel less irritated about losing him. If you can’t handle or dislike my rationale or feel it isn’t sound, I suggest you block me. Otherwise, get used to reading more opinions that may perturb you.
I'm not a snowflake, you are entitled to your views. I'm not defending Buckeye Nation either, I have had real life interactions with numerous people from numerous fanbases. I don't base my opinion of the whole cake based off a few bad crumbs.

You seem a little hurt that a young man made a choice that is best for him. It hurts to lose a five star in state kid, saying he shows bad judgement for picking a top 100 institution is stupid. You base all of this off some personal interactions you had. I hope others don't share in that thinking, you might want to broaden your lens on life. I don't know you, I wouldn't judge you if you chose to attend a Jonas Brothers concert . Maybe a little bit.

Last edited:
I'm not a snowflake, you are entitled to your views. I'm not defending Buckeye Nation either, I have had real life interactions with numerous people from numerous fanbases. I don't base my opinion of the whole cake based off a few bad crumbs.

You seem a little hurt that a young man made a choice that is best for him. It hurts to lose a five star in state kid, saying he shows bad judgement for picking a top 100 institution is stupid. You base all of this off some personal interactions you had. I hope others don't share in that thinking, you might want to broaden your lens on life. I don't know you, I wouldn't judge you if you chose to attend a Jonas Brothers concert . Maybe a little bit.

Being honest, if you went to a Jonas Brothers concert and told me about it, I would judge you. If you went to see Lake Street Dive and told me about it, I would again judge that decision. I take what you say and I judge it based on what I like/dislike or agree/disagree with. To be fully transparent, all of this is based on personal insights, education, or experiences.

It’s life, or at least life when dealing with me. I try to rationalize decisions and map those things against the information my life experience has provided me. You may approach your decisions differently. Not gonna judge you for that, but it doesn’t mean that I’ll change my construct.

I, again, am not hurt by this young man’s decision. It’d be much like really liking a girl and finding out that she had a Jonas brothers poster in her room (New Kids On The Block would be more age appropriate for me). I realized that a lack of mutual interest was at play and it’d be easier to move on. If I took a girl to see Low Cut Connie and she told me that it wasn’t her thing, I would feel much better about the split. I hope she finds a man who will take her to see Jonas, but glad that’s not me

Make sense?

Being honest, if you went to a Jonas Brothers concert and told me about it, I would judge you. If you went to see Lake Street Dive and told me about it, I would again judge that decision. I take what you say and I judge it based on what I like/dislike or agree/disagree with. To be fully transparent, all of this is based on personal insights, education, or experiences.

It’s life, or at least life when dealing with me. I try to rationalize decisions and map those things against the information my life experience has provided me. You may approach your decisions differently. Not gonna judge you for that, but it doesn’t mean that I’ll change my construct.

I, again, am not hurt by this young man’s decision. It’d be much like really liking a girl and finding out that she had a Jonas brothers poster in her room (New Kids On The Block would be more age appropriate for me). I realized that a lack of mutual interest was at play and it’d be easier to move on. If I took a girl to see Low Cut Connie and she told me that it wasn’t her thing, I would feel much better about the split. I hope she finds a man who will take her to see Jonas, but glad that’s not me

Make sense?

You were hurt because you have an attachment to a property. Whenever a person invests time, money, emotion into something it is only natural to have a set of feelings attached. When somebody rejects you or the property you are attached to you feel a sense of rejection. That hurt causes you to grasp for some vindication or reason to why they rejected it.

In your case you are an Iowa basketball fan, you invest in that entity. You want a great instate product to love Iowa basketball and contribute to it. He rejected your program so you instantly choose to call him a person who makes bad choices. It lessens the sting because he has inherent flaws that make him less desirable now. If he is too dumb to see how great Iowa is then he wouldn't be that great of an asset, this lessens the sting because he is prone to making bad choices.

If he were a girl and you were asking her out this path lessens the sting of rejection. It's basic human coping, we all do it.

You are saying a high school kid is less inclined to succeed because he has issues. If he were a 5 star from Ohio and initially committed to Ohio State but then came to Iowa, you would not question his decision making process one bit. He still showed erroneous judgement initially but he was wise to alter course.

You will not agree with me, that is ok.

You were hurt because you have an attachment to a property. Whenever a person invests time, money, emotion into something it is only natural to have a set of feelings attached. When somebody rejects you or the property you are attached to you feel a sense of rejection. That hurt causes you to grasp for some vindication or reason to why they rejected it.

In your case you are an Iowa basketball fan, you invest in that entity. You want a great instate product to love Iowa basketball and contribute to it. He rejected your program so you instantly choose to call him a person who makes bad choices. It lessens the sting because he has inherent flaws that make him less desirable now. If he is too dumb to see how great Iowa is then he wouldn't be that great of an asset, this lessens the sting because he is prone to making bad choices.

If he were a girl and you were asking her out this path lessens the sting of rejection. It's basic human coping, we all do it.

You are saying a high school kid is less inclined to succeed because he has issues. If he were a 5 star from Ohio and initially committed to Ohio State but then came to Iowa, you would not question his decision making process one bit. He still showed erroneous judgement initially but he was wise to alter course.

I agree with you. I see this all the time with recruiting. It's weird but very consistent.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
I agree with you. I see this all the time with recruiting. It's weird but very consistent.
It's basic reactionary action, he is hurt but chooses to downplay that by issuing negative connotations to a once enticing product.

A recruit is property? No. I am not hurt. Looking forward to facing off with him as an IOWA fan and doing so without cheering against the Michigan fans and Indiana alumni who are in my life.

It’s a bad choice because outside of IOWA, the other two teams have great fan bases who either worship or appreciate basketball at the highest degree. I’d have chosen the other two, partly because Beilein is known for producing great guards in a great system and Indiana is the best sleeping giant in the nation at any sport (outside IOWA wrestling, goes without saying :) ).

I’ll stay on the couch if needed, but I’m happy for the young man and the fact that he found a school that fit him.

Last edited:
A recruit is property? No. I am not hurt. Looking forward to facing off with him as an IOWA fan and doing so without cheering against the Michigan fans and Indiana alumni who are in my life.

It’s a bad choice because outside of IOWA, the other two teams have great fan bases who either worship or appreciate basketball at the highest degree. I’d have chosen the other two, partly because Beilein is known for producing great guards in a great system and Indiana is the best sleeping giant in the nation at any sport (outside IOWA wrestling, goes without saying :) ).

I’ll stay on the couch if needed, but I’m happy for the young man and the fact that he found a school that fit him.

Good, no reason to denigrate the young man unfairly by applying a false narrative on his past, present, or future decisions. For the record no fan base supports a bad product, no program has been consistently great at producing NBA talent or wins outside of about 10 programs. Michigan is not on that list so we don't know if Carton won't be put in a position for success.

Hate Ohio State and their loudmouthed fans, I would leave high school guys out of that hate talk though. Michigan and their loudmouthed fans aren't any better imo.

Iowa usually has a very respectful and down to Earth fan base that those two lack.

Good, no reason to denigrate the young man unfairly by applying a false narrative on his past, present, or future decisions. For the record no fan base supports a bad product, no program has been consistently great at producing NBA talent or wins outside of about 10 programs. Michigan is not on that list so we don't know if Carton won't be put in a position for success.

Hate Ohio State and their loudmouthed fans, I would leave high school guys out of that hate talk though. Michigan and their loudmouthed fans aren't any better imo.

Iowa usually has a very respectful and down to Earth fan base that those two lack.

I don’t hate them. Did I denigrate the young man? If evaluating his decision is denigrating him, we have weakened a bit as fans. Never attacked 1) the man, 2) the institution, 3) his personal choice. Simple explanation of why it allows me to feel better in squaring up against him. This is an opinion piece, so I understand why your emotions are running high, but I suggest just cooling down and allowing words like “hate” and “loudmouthed” to work their way out of this conversation. Not needed, IMHO.

sorry I couldn't resist. This is ridiculous. Saying his decision on his future was a bad choice & reflects on his decision-ability shows how STUPID you are. I give a F' about your direct interactions with fan bases. It wasnt the fan bases making the decision...it was a young man (with the help of a few people& parents) taking a part in making the decision ...why? Pretty simple...its his career (athletically & academically)...So U.. being the all-mighty ordained yourself judge & jury of someone you dont even know.

Yes you did denigrating him...this isnt a slam? reflects on his decision-making ability.
You dont know what went into the decision (including all the visits & the dozens&dozens of communication with over a dozen schools),...yet you question his decision-making ability because you have direct interactions with the fan bases?....:rolleyes:

As an Iowa fan I wanted him in an Iowa uniform in a worse way...but I also am fully aware of what went into the final decision...and it didnt have a whole lot to do with the fan bases.

Last edited:
sorry I couldn't resist. This is ridiculous. Saying his decision on his future was a bad choice & reflects on his decision-ability shows how STUPID you are. I give a F' about your direct interactions with fan bases. It wasnt the fan bases making the decision...it was a young man (with the help of a few people& parents) taking a part in making the decision ...why? Pretty simple...its his career (athletically & academically)...So U.. being the all-mighty ordained yourself judge & jury of someone you dont even know.

Yes you did denigrating him...this isnt a slam? reflects on his decision-making ability.
You dont know what went into the decision (including all the visits & the dozens&dozens of communication with over a dozen schools),...yet you question his decision-making ability because you have direct interactions with the fan bases?....:rolleyes:

As an Iowa fan I wanted him in an Iowa uniform in a worse way...but I also am fully aware of what went into the final decision...and it didnt have a whole lot to do with the fan bases.

So a kid can put out top sixes and top threes and edit graphics to show where he stands, yet we can’t evaluate those decisions? Soft.

Look, if you don’t want to hear people weigh-in on players, recruits, and coaches then hanging out on message boards is not the place for you. And if a recruit wants to approach the process very quietly and not publicly state who he is choosing between, I never would have the opportunity to evaluate that decision and form my own opinion - which is only that I felt less bad in losing him to OSU than Michigan or Indiana, That opinion still stands and I believe we have a better chance of beating him in an OSU uniform than certainly a Michigan one. Let’s not forget that I, for one, still want IOWA to win basketball games.

Your choice to call others stupid and emphasize the word only reflects poorly on you, IMHO. I understand that you were close to the young man, but if this decision is causing you that much heartache and anger, I suggest taking a breather from message boards in general.

This is the only way we should evaluate this as Iowa fans. Because the kid chose to stay in the Big Ten, how does his decision affect Iowa’s chances of beating him and winning the conference? I agree, OSU is where I want him. Other than that, I’m not getting involved in this crap. See you on the court, kid, and I can’t wait to beat you in IC!

So a kid can put out top sixes and top threes and edit graphics to show where he stands, yet we can’t evaluate those decisions? Soft.

Look, if you don’t want to hear people weigh-in on players, recruits, and coaches then hanging out on message boards is not the place for you. And if a recruit wants to approach the process very quietly and not publicly state who he is choosing between, I never would have the opportunity to evaluate that decision and form my own opinion - which is only that I felt less bad in losing him to OSU than Michigan or Indiana, That opinion still stands and I believe we have a better chance of beating him in an OSU uniform than certainly a Michigan one. Let’s not forget that I, for one, still want IOWA to win basketball games.

Your choice to call others stupid and emphasize the word only reflects poorly on you, IMHO. I understand that you were close to the young man, but if this decision is causing you that much heartache and anger, I suggest taking a breather from message boards in general.

U questioned a teenagers decision-making ability & calling 'his' decision a bad decision is NOT weighing in...its a bias unsubstantiated bull shit based on what? Your knowledge of fan bases. Brilliant. o_O

You didnt evaulate his decision...U questioned his decision-making ability.

U questioned a teenagers decision-making ability & calling 'his' decision a bad decision is NOT weighing in...its a bias unsubstantiated bull shit based on what? Your knowledge of fan bases. Brilliant. o_O

You didnt evaulate his decision...U questioned his decision-making ability.

If it makes you feel better, I also question your decision-making ability. This website is publicly accessible and you are resorting to name calling and swearing? Take a lap, dude.

I don’t hate them. Did I denigrate the young man? If evaluating his decision is denigrating him, we have weakened a bit as fans. Never attacked 1) the man, 2) the institution, 3) his personal choice. Simple explanation of why it allows me to feel better in squaring up against him. This is an opinion piece, so I understand why your emotions are running high, but I suggest just cooling down and allowing words like “hate” and “loudmouthed” to work their way out of this conversation. Not needed, IMHO.

On the contrary, you have an emotional attachment to the young man rejecting Iowa for Ohio State. You admit to saying he has shown bad judgement based off personal experiences YOU have had with Buckeye backers. I have merely pointed out how irrational that is. Carton is now merely just another opponent for the Iowa Hawkeyes to play against. You have an emotional tie to Iowa in the positive, and Ohio State in the negative based off negative encounters. Carton shunned the entity you view positively for the one you view negatively.

I am glad you admitted to a part of the coping process every human being experiences upon rejection though.

On the contrary, you have an emotional attachment to the young man rejecting Iowa for Ohio State. You admit to saying he has shown bad judgement based off personal experiences YOU have had with Buckeye backers. I have merely pointed out how irrational that is. Carton is now merely just another opponent for the Iowa Hawkeyes to play against. You have an emotional tie to Iowa in the positive, and Ohio State in the negative based off negative encounters. Carton shunned the entity you view positively for the one you view negatively.

I am glad you admitted to a part of the coping process every human being experiences upon rejection though.

Good job of bringing this full circle. I have been dealing with an emotion ever since I made my first comment. That emotion is happiness. Happy that he chose OSU rather than Michigan or Indiana.

And with that said, I hope DJ is happy too!

Good job of bringing this full circle. I have been dealing with an emotion ever since I made my first comment. That emotion is happiness. Happy that he chose OSU rather than Michigan or Indiana.

I'm sure he will be, he picked a program that he felt would give him the best chance to succeed . Not a decision that came easily as I presume there was pressure to stay at home.

Ohio State is not a terrible basketball program either. Chris Holtmann is a pretty darn coach as well. They have been a better program this millennium than either Michigan or Indiana, so you being happy that he will be on an irrelevant team is puzzling as he didn't committ to Nebraska or Rutgers.

I hope he turns out to be as good as advertised in losing efforts to Iowa.

I feel like you are only as good as the fans and athletic department that you associate yourself with and represent. Holtmann May be different. I hope he is. Sick of seeing things like this from OSU and I believe it is pandemic. I may be wrong. I might be correct.

ADVERTISEMENT