ADVERTISEMENT

Carver....so tell me....

IllQChawk

HB Heisman
May 29, 2001
Is any upgrades going to happen this off season? Carver is over 30 years old and is need of some TLC....including a new court...a new center court sound and video module and hopefully the athletic department follows through with honoring former players that have made an impact on Iowa basketball in some way, shape, or form. Coach is already behind the eight ball in recruiting in that Carver is not what you would call appealing to recruits.....sexy or bling is not Carver, that's for sure......
This post was edited on 3/29 10:20 PM by IllQChawk

Originally posted by IllQChawk:
Is any upgrades going to happen this off season? Carver is over 30 years old and is need of some TLC....including a new court...a new center court sound and video module and hopefully the athletic department follows through with honoring former players that have made an impact on Iowa basketball in some way, shape, or form. Coach is already behind the eight ball in recruiting in that Carver is not what you would call appealing to recruits.....sexy or bling is not Carver, that's for sure......

There were very major upgrades 3 years ago and more planned for the future.

Originally posted by hooper56:

Of course Hoop you know that those major upgrades had nothing to do with the arena right? And as far as in the future, what timetable are we taking about.....years from now? If Iowa is to go toe to toe with the rest of the teams in the Big Ten in recruiting the existing Carver is not going to help coach Fran in the least.....

I am not sure whether or not the structure can support a center court scoreboard, but we certainly need upgrades on what we have. One way overdue upgrade is having 1 stairway in each corner up to an walkway 8-10 rows up. Since every aisle in CHA goes all the way to ground level, the stairways take up a larger and larger percentage of available seating space as you make your way down. It's a double whammy, the school is losing revenue by not having more seats at that level that fetch premium prices/donations, and the fewer fans you have close to the court, the less audible noise there is down there.

I don't think it will change much. It is a great concert hall with a basketball court in the middle. Its a multi-purpose arena that gets a lot of use.

I am with everyone they need to update the scoreboards and sound system. I mean were in the age of High Definition and need to upgrade our scoreboards and the TV's in the arena.

The sound system should be louder (pretty sad the band can drown out the sound system). Should be able to blast it and make it get loud. Of course when your playing Mambo #5 from 1994 I guess it doesn't have to be that loud.

The whole seating argument will never get fixed, it will always be an issue.

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
I am not sure whether or not the structure can support a center court scoreboard, but we certainly need upgrades on what we have.  One way overdue upgrade is having 1 stairway in each corner up to an walkway 8-10 rows up.  Since every aisle in CHA goes all the way to ground level, the stairways take up a larger and larger percentage of available seating space as you make your way down.  It's a double whammy, the school is losing revenue by not having more seats at that level that fetch premium prices/donations, and the fewer fans you have close to the court, the less audible noise there is down there. 
I'll start by saying I'm no structural engineer or architect and have absolutely no reason to believe I know what I'm talking about (feel free to stop reading?), but it would seem that you're correct in that the current structure can't support a center scoreboard (I think it's a stupid design, but just my opinion). However, it would also seem that the structure could be altered to support one by adding more of a counterweight on the exterior. Someone with some knowledge please step in, but couldn't they (at great expense) continue with the exterior they currently have by essentially making a full pyramid with the triangle supports they use now? If they did, I think it would look better covered (look like Memphis?), but a center scoreboard would be great if properly utilized and would be aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

Cue 20 posts calling me an idiot and ignoring the first line.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by icparkerhawk:
I am not sure whether or not the structure can support a center court scoreboard, but we certainly need upgrades on what we have. One way overdue upgrade is having 1 stairway in each corner up to an walkway 8-10 rows up. Since every aisle in CHA goes all the way to ground level, the stairways take up a larger and larger percentage of available seating space as you make your way down. It's a double whammy, the school is losing revenue by not having more seats at that level that fetch premium prices/donations, and the fewer fans you have close to the court, the less audible noise there is down there.Â
I'll start by saying I'm no structural engineer or architect and have absolutely no reason to believe I know what I'm talking about (feel free to stop reading?), but it would seem that you're correct in that the current structure can't support a center scoreboard (I think it's a stupid design, but just my opinion). However, it would also seem that the structure could be altered to support one by adding more of a counterweight on the exterior. Someone with some knowledge please step in, but couldn't they (at great expense) continue with the exterior they currently have by essentially making a full pyramid with the triangle supports they use now? If they did, I think it would look better covered (look like Memphis?), but a center scoreboard would be great if properly utilized and would be aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

Cue 20 posts calling me an idiot and ignoring the first line.
With the right funds, anything is possible.

I totally agree with you. With some structure manipulation they should be able to make a center court scoreboard happen.

Also, put some suites in around the top perimeter that will help keep the noise in.

Take out the last 10 rows and build suites. It would also block the view of the court from the concourse and close it in a little bit.

Originally posted by EpenesaEpenesa:
Take out the last 10 rows and build suites.   It would also block the view of the court from the concourse and close it in a little bit.
I've always contended that doing this would also allow for more revenue (see football suites) and potentially move some of the big donors away from the court and into suites to open up seats for slightly more rowdy fans near the court. These are big expenses with structural changes, but there isn't space near campus for a new arena, so I think you just bite the bullet and make the upgrades to the current facility.

Take out the last 10 rows and build suites. It would also block the view of the court from the concourse and close it in a little bit.
This

They need to find a way to close it in a little bit around the concourse. The other thing I think they should do is put a video ribbon about midway up around the arena. This would separate your pricing levels and would look cool.

Of course Hoop you know that those major upgrades had nothing to do with the arena right? And as far as in the future, what timetable are we taking about.....years from now? If Iowa is to go toe to toe with the rest of the teams in the Big Ten in recruiting the existing Carver is not going to help coach Fran in the least.....
That's not true. They added club seating, for one thing. The other changes were more minor as far as the actual arena. But very big changes with practice court, coaches offices, lounges, etc.

With the money that is involved in the athletic Depratment now is there ANY consideration to starting over with a new arena? I know it is only 30 years old...

Originally posted by hexumhawk:
With the money that is involved in the athletic Depratment now is there ANY consideration to starting over with a new arena? I know it is only 30 years old...
With the upgrades they just put in place a few years back, Carver Hawkeye will be the home of the Hawks for many, many years to come

Connect the rims to a mechanical device which allows each rim to move slightly then give remote control of the device to a Iowa bartender at Buffalo Wild Wings.

Would people pay big bucks for suites up that high though? Pretty crappy view for a high dollar amount. I do like the concept, though.

One very easy (but probably not inexpensive) change would be to replace those awful beige seats with alternating black and gold seats. That would look so much better.

I'd also consider going back to gold rather than black around the court - brighten things up a little bit.

Would be nice. Make it more of a home court advantage and have students closer to floor, and make acoustics so it can get really loud in there, like the old Fieldhouse.

Originally posted by FG86:

Would be nice. Make it more of a home court advantage and have students closer to floor, and make acoustics so it can get really loud in there, like the old Fieldhouse.
This has been discussed ad nauseam in multiple threads prior, but just as a point of reference:

Men's basketball in 2014-15 posted a 14-4/6-3 record in CHA.
The women's basketball team finished a perfect 18-0 on the home floor this season.
Wrestling compiled a 11-1 home meet record and was unblemished in conference once again.

Carver Hawkeye Arena has and once again can be a very loud venue. The core group of students that consistently attend games will make their presence known regardless of where they are located.

I don't think Hawks are losing a lot of recruits because of any known or perceived deficiencies in CHA, other than the uptight security, older audience and poor seating assignments. A better PA would be a good improvement. The band doesn't help the atmosphere.

Bottom line, win more and the door will open to a generally better class of recruits.

That's not true. They added club seating, for one thing. The other changes were more minor as far as the actual arena. But very big changes with practice court, coaches offices, lounges, etc.
What? Where?

Originally posted by torbee:

Would people pay big bucks for suites up that high though? Pretty crappy view for a high dollar amount. I do like the concept, though.

One very easy (but probably not inexpensive) change would be to replace those awful beige seats with alternating black and gold seats. That would look so much better.

I'd also consider going back to gold rather than black around the court - brighten things up a little bit.
I sort of like Pitt's design to an extent.

I'd take out rows 12-20 maybe (not visible on tv) on both sides for some sort of "suite." You then continue with seating above there and allow for a ribbon board at the top of the suites if necessary It would almost give it an upper-deck feel.

For the current seats that are the "high donor" seats you keep them on one side for those that still want them (the non-tv side). As for the other side? You make it student section/GA. The students have half an hour before the game to get in their seats or it opens up to a first-come, first serve basis. This will still give seats to the early arriving, expressive non-students.

I am not sure whether or not the structure can support a center court scoreboard, but we certainly need upgrades on what we have. One way overdue upgrade is having 1 stairway in each corner up to an walkway 8-10 rows up. Since every aisle in CHA goes all the way to ground level, the stairways take up a larger and larger percentage of available seating space as you make your way down. It's a double whammy, the school is losing revenue by not having more seats at that level that fetch premium prices/donations, and the fewer fans you have close to the court, the less audible noise there is down there.
This seems like a cheap one to fix, and I think it is needed. It's all aisles down close, when it should be dense seating there.

Please take this for what it's worth.
Mr. Barta was on a call in show with Dolph about three weeks ago. The topic of CHA came up and here to the best of my memory is what he said the current plans are:

Phase one perhaps by next season,new video boards, sound system, and basketball court.( Might use the new practice court)
Phase two by 2016 - 2017, remove 4-5 rows of seat at the top on the sides of the court and put in suites. The idea of some type of center court scoreboard or video screens is being looked at.With the new types of metals available today it may be doable now? ( Any structural experts out there) As far as a ribbon board he didn't know yet.

Much of this will need some added financial support from the fans.What a shock.
Just passing on the info, I know many are interested.
I hope this accurate?
As always,
GO HAWKS!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT