ADVERTISEMENT

Carver

It was nice to be part of the sellout crowd today, but it was pretty quiet for a crowd that size. There was finally a good amount of students, but they made little to no noise on defense. It's like the current generation of fans don't know how to give a legit home court advantage.

Makes a difference having a Saturday home game. BTN showed a stat....was the first Saturday home game since Feb 2020 (also against PSU).

Whoever at the B1G that creates the schedules isn't doing any favors. Lots of weeknights at 8pm.

Post 5,793 on how bad Carver is.

It is obvious at this point that the UI does not value a home court advantage for basketball as they refuse to address the issues at Carver. Students in a terrible spot for starters. Bad design for volume.
UI needs to really consider replacing this building with a new facility on the same site or a new facility in a different location.
What students???

The blue hairs never go away and neither do the bitchers on this subject. The biggest problem is the TV times we are required to play and days of the week. OK - go ahead and bitch some more...
It is not carver as it hops for wrestling

While I agree that wrestling doesn't have problems with getting crowds, I believe that is a different type of crowd that values seeing the sport in person. With Iowa being one of the top wrestling states in the country, many high schoolers and families go watch the Hawks compete in person.

Something drastic needs to change at Carver. Either a complete re-model and make the students a priority, or consider a new arena more accessible to fans/students that resembles arenas that have students near the court but won't piss off the gray hairs. Players want to go play in energetic game atmosphere arenas, and while Fran has done well with the talent he has recruited, I believe this is affecting our ability to get top 50-100 players outside of Iowa.
Carver is no different than AT&T Stadium for the Cowboys....ZERO home advantage!!!

The student section has never sustained great numbers since the Alford years. What few attend don't make any noise most of the time, they just stand around like they don't know what to do. Also, it doesn't help that the best / most anticipated team in years last year didn't get to have fans. Putting a consistently winning team out there would help, but I think it would take multiple consecutive years of top 10-15 level play to build up the student base again.

I don't think it's all Carver's fault as an arena, but it's certainly not perfect. The idea of a downtown IC arena has been thrown around for years, but I wish they would consider it as I think it would be a big boost to all teams involved.

The student section has never sustained great numbers since the Alford years. What few attend don't make any noise most of the time, they just stand around like they don't know what to do. Also, it doesn't help that the best / most anticipated team in years last year didn't get to have fans. Putting a consistently winning team out there would help, but I think it would take multiple consecutive years of top 10-15 level play to build up the student base again.

I don't think it's all Carver's fault as an arena, but it's certainly not perfect. The idea of a downtown IC arena has been thrown around for years, but I wish they would consider it as I think it would be a big boost to all teams involved.
There's no logistical way they could build a basketball arena in downtown IC. Hope that helps with the idiots that are deterred from going to Carver because it's too far away in IC.

It ain't getting any closer............

Deal with it, motherf***ers. :D

Reactions: EagleHawk

You’re going to get that when you give the students the worst seats in the house. Hey let’s put them behind the basket. No, not directly behind the basket. Let’s move them behind the band as well. Just stupid. Those seats suck.

You’re going to get that when you give the students the worst seats in the house. Hey let’s put them behind the basket. No, not directly behind the basket. Let’s move them behind the band as well. Just stupid. Those seats suck.
They probably want to discourage court rushing.............unfortunately.

A new arena is going to run over $200 mil. The most expensive project the UI AD has ever done was the new NEZ which was only about $90 mil and they had a hard time finding enough money for that. The money will never be there. Just have to make Carver as good as possible.

The fact that there are (seemingly) more wrestling fans than bball fans is part of the problem imo. Bball culture doesn't appear to be as valued here, from my non-expert, semi-outsider's perspective

Last night is a perfect example of why it isn't THE Carver problem- it is an Iowa BB problem first and foremost.

Just when we start feeling a touch of success, we mess up every opportunity to gain momentum with the program when we need it. That is not a good Michigan team, at home, with NCAA tournament basically on the line over the next two weeks. This is a basketball program that can't deal with either success or expectations. In short, we need a new coach and regime change.

Does Carver itself have faults- of course it does! Those comparing wrestling crowds and basketball crowds are comparing apples and oranges. Wrestling is always a top 1-3 program and mens BB is a mid to low-mid BIG10 team. You need to get the BB program consistently better to see a shift in the atmosphere at Carver and we aren't going up anytime soon under Fran...just the honest truth.

If you listen to a lot of the posters on this board that still support Fran, then picture below is totally acceptable to them. Simple as that.

FL1jMvFWQAs9xKP

But if you move them, are they going to show up? They will have some stupid excuse as to why they can't make it, you are going to have empty seats showing up on TV, and you are going to piss off the 'blue hairs' that actually come and are the financial support of your program. Then where are you?

Old dude here. The loudest sporting events I've ever attended in my entire life were the basketball games at the old Field house. Your ears were ringing afterwards like you just attended a rock concert. I don't think Carver has ever been like that. Might be the product, the era, the facility or a combination of all 3. Back then Iowa was definitely a basketball school. Today my daughter and her friends who are students have no desire to attend the games. It's tough to figure.
I always remembered it loud in the 90's and have to think there is a template to follow or at least part of it. I can't recall as much the 2000's with Alford's Hawk Nest.
There's no logistical way they could build a basketball arena in downtown IC. Hope that helps with the idiots that are deterred from going to Carver because it's too far away in IC.

It ain't getting any closer............

Deal with it, motherf***ers. :D
Omg! You think parking is bad now!!!

Doesn't get brought up much but it really was incredibly awful luck that Carver couldn't have fans in 21 when they were ranked top ten most of the season. There would have been many sellouts and it would have built up fan enthusiasm that would have carried over into the last couple of seasons imo. I would have made the trip back to see Garza lead that team

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT