ADVERTISEMENT

Cassar Gets 2 med years

To further my point that the NCAA is handing out 6th years freely, I will again point to Zacheral from Clarion.
Through his junior season, he was a 3-year starter, a 3x qualifier, and had never missed a match due to injury. As a fifth year senior, he was 13-2. Then, on December 2, it was announced he was done for the year. He basically missed his last 2-1/2 months of his senior year and got a 6th year.
Rasheed wrestled 5 matches his RS freshman season, got hurt, and was out for the year. He then wrestled 6 matches his RS sophomore season, got hurt, and was out for the year. There’s no question he was getting a 6th.

Reactions: PANCAKE1
It makes me laugh that a rodent troll has such a shitty team that sticking up for cockroaches is the highlight of your life.
Hoy, glad your mom woke you up from your nap so you chime in with such a great post! I've missed your elite wrestling takes!

Dude we all understand how the NCAA operates on this now. That's not what's in question.

What's in question is what protocols are in place to prevent teams from using the injury shirt as another opportunity to redshirt?

I fully hope that Nelson Brands takes an injury shirt this year as long as he's ok with spending another year in college.

You just need Brands to wreck his shoulder at a tournament this summer, miss the whole season, wreck it again next summer, and miss the following year too.

Dare to dream, Vodka!

Burroughs didn't get an extra year via hardship, he got to use his medical redshirt since he hadn't used his normal one yet.
There is no such thing as a "medical redshirt". Burroughs either received a "medical hardship waiver", or a standard redshirt. I don't remember the way his college career unfolded, but reading his Wiki page, he took a standard redshirt his would-be senior season (4th college season) because he got injured.

Reactions: sstark46
Ya - nothing going on there. God Lord.
Do you guys realize that the poster is trying to make it look they provide a valuable service, so they’re going to cherry pick some images that exaggerate his gains?

Look at a lot of guys in street clothes (say Mark Hall) then compared that image to them flexing post-match. It’s very different in the span of a couple hours.

Reactions: danoftw
There is no such thing as a "medical redshirt". Burroughs either received a "medical hardship waiver", or a standard redshirt. I don't remember the way his college career unfolded, but reading his Wiki page, he took a standard redshirt his would-be senior season (4th college season) because he got injured.

Tomato, tomahto :)

Do you guys realize that the poster is trying to make it look they provide a valuable service, so they’re going to cherry pick some images that exaggerate his gains?

Look at a lot of guys in street clothes (say Mark Hall) then compared that image to them flexing post-match. It’s very different in the span of a couple hours.

Are these better?

taylorfreshman.jpg
DavidTaylorFlag400x250.jpg

Reactions: MVPFAN and HawkFT
Reactions: Hotshoe and danoftw
But that's clearly what happened with Cassar.

He wrecked his shoulder at Junior Worlds in 2015.

He missed all of the 15-16 then wrecked his shoulder again in his first tournament back on the mat in the spring of 2016.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/...-anthony-cassar-psu-vs-chase-singletary-blair

The cuckoo conspiracy theories might work better in a different thread.

Why in the heck would we want MORE threads full of garbage? My favorite part of the thread is that additional eligibility is now akin to PEDs.

Btw, there's still no reputable source reporting this nor any confirmation from Cassar or PSU.

https://gopsusports

Yes, you missed it...https://247sports.com/college/penn-...hampion-Anthony-Cassar-talks-title-130445503/
"

Q. For those who don't understand, why did you sit out that year? I'm not from Penn State. Why did you sit out that year?

ANTHONY CASSAR: I got a shoulder surgery. I was sidelined for months, and along with financial difficulties. So my plan was to Olympic redshirt, once I medaled in Junior Worlds. That didn't work out. I was forced to take the year off, but I was able to get healthy. That's why I made drastic changes to my life and train hard that entire year. But, yeah, took that year off for personal, financial and injury reasons."

Not sure how hurt he was if he trained hard the entire year. Says personal, financial and injury as reasons. Being too hurt to attend classes is 1 thing, I'm not getting that vibe here. Him getting 1 year fine but giving a second based on a guy deciding to skip out on enrolling to re-group is weak. You better be in school trying to advance your degree and trying to get healthy for 2nd years.

Not sure how hurt he was if he trained hard the entire year. Says personal, financial and injury as reasons. Being too hurt to attend classes is 1 thing, I'm not getting that vibe here. Him getting 1 year fine but giving a second based on a guy deciding to skip out on enrolling to re-group is weak. You better be in school trying to advance your degree and trying to get healthy for 2nd years.

Again, there is thus far no evidence that not being enrolled was a factor in his "alledgedly" being granted additional eligibility. It is a matter of fact but that does not make it a matter of reason. Enrolled or not enrolled for that year--it likely doesn't matter either way.

But that's clearly what happened with Cassar.

He wrecked his shoulder at Junior Worlds in 2015.

He missed all of the 15-16 then wrecked his shoulder again in his first tournament back on the mat in the spring of 2016.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/...-anthony-cassar-psu-vs-chase-singletary-blair

The cuckoo conspiracy theories might work better in a different thread.

I'll admit I don't know much about him. But PSU posters stated he was unranked or not ranked in the top 100 out of high school and Cael performed a friggin' miracle getting him the championship this year. Now I see he was on the junior world team at age 18 or 19 and looking like the Incredible Hulk. You guys are confusing me.

I'll admit I don't know much about him. But PSU posters stated he was unranked or not ranked in the top 100 out of high school and Cael performed a friggin' miracle getting him the championship this year. Now I see he was on the junior world team at age 18 or 19 and looking like the Incredible Hulk. You guys are confusing me.
Cassar was not ranked in the top 100, but there was some serious buzz about him throughout his RSFR season. The summer after his freshman year, he went on a crazy FS run and made the junior world team. At worlds, he advanced to the QF (I think) where he blew out his shoulder and had surgery. I wouldn’t say it was a miracle, however. There’s some precedence with him. He never placed at the HS state tournament until his senior year, where he won it. So... not so surprising he wasn’t ranked, or that he won it this year as a senior after never having been an AA.

I will gladly tell you why. I do not want to see THE LAST of the true sports f-ed up!!!

Let me explain. The Homerun record is one of the greatest records in all of sports. Now the young folk on here will be like, "say what???" it is really nothing to them now a days. WHY?

Well the record was forever tainted. Roger Maris's 61 is STILL the real record. that is to say, on a LEVEL playing field. Those that broke it McGuire, Sosa, Bonds were ALL on PEDs!!! It would take a "freakish phenom" to ever come close to breaking 73.

After college Wrestling I went into Powerlifting. Loved lifting, loved competing, as did many other wrestlers at the time who also went into PL. I could tell you the champion in every weight class, and what they lifted etc...back in the day.

(Hell I would be willing to bet no one on here could tell me who holds the bench press record? Would you believe that the equipped record is OVER 1,000 pounds!!!!)

Then the sport went into various crazy directions. Many different Federations, with "loose" rules, new and improved lifting gear etc. All of a sudden, things started changing. The governing body of the sport had no direction, vision, and ultimately future.

You ever hear of Olympic Powerlifting? There are many lifters from all over the world, but can't get in because no good rules and leadership! Wrestling was almost ELIMINATED from the olympics!!!! WRESTLING!!!!!!

You would think that someone benching over 1K would be well known right? Well it is just about irrelevant outside the Hardcore PLers circle. How about Boxing? Are there even any good fighters around these days? Who is even the Heavy weight champion???

Again, a sport where just about everyone knew the names is now all but gone! The NFL, MBA, MLB, are all one big joke. I would rather watch Pro Wrestling, at least most know that it is BS.

So once again. IF college wrestling continues on this course. It is very predictable that it too will head south. Right now it is one of the only sports I follow religiously. I feel these F*** st. A-holes are going to screw it up!
This rambling post makes no sense. Powerlifting was never very popular. It’s always been a niche, hobby sport. Weight sports are boring for regular folk to watch.
And wrestling? It’s not as popular as most of us here wishes it was. And will probably never be.

Reactions: Ski
This rambling post makes no sense. Powerlifting was never very popular. It’s always been a niche, hobby sport. Weight sports are boring for regular folk to watch.
And wrestling? It’s not as popular as most of us here wishes it was. And will probably never be.

What makes no sense is stupid post like yours! Just because you do not understand something, does not mean it is not right/correct. TRY to read and understand and learn!

#1) The popularity of various sports varies greatly by not only where you live in the USA, but also in the world! For example Lacrosse here on LI has been extremely popular for many many years. While it is gaining popularity around the country, it still is almost unknown in some parts.

#2) If you are a champion Wrestler or Weightlifter in some countries. It is like being a Pro athlete here as far as popularity and how you are looked upon.

#3) Powerlifting is well established in at least 50 countries! You can't name 50 countries. There are also more then a dozen Federations(a problem I referred too).

#4) Wrestling certainly is not the biggest sport in America but has been gaining popularity for many years. I believe a recent article I read said it was #5 in high school participation! That is pretty darn good, and it is growing especially with the girls.

Please also remember that many times things travel in circles. Wrestling here in the USA was BIGGER then all other sports around 100 years ago. If you look back at history. The biggest sporting events were Wrestling. I can not remember the number of fans that watched, Frank Gotch vs. Hackenschmit in Chicago, But it was the largest crowd at any sporting event at that time!

You're not following. I'm not disputing what did or did not happen to Cassar.

I'm stating that with the new liberalness that the NCAA is handing out additional years, the avenue is there to take advantage of it and use it as a second redshirt. What qualifies as too injured to compete?

Most wrestlers are dealing with injuries at points during the year. Look at Rasheed and Micic this year. Injured earlier in season. Wrestle at Big Tens. Injury FF out. Wrestle at NCAAs. They were healthy enough to wrestle NCAAs. If they were backups and not starters they could have just taken an injury shirt.

This can and will be done going forward.

I really don't understand how this is a hard thing for anyone to comprehend. It isn't a conspiracy.
As long as the opportunity to do it is given to all wrestlers, what is your problem with it?

If you wrestled all available matches and didn't MFF out at the NCAA's, I don't see how you can petition for an extra year due to injury. Nolf is the prime example, this opens the door for gaming the system big time. I can see 1 extra year, 2 is just ridiculous regardless of the circumstance.

If you wrestled all available matches and didn't MFF out at the NCAA's, I don't see how you can petition for an extra year due to injury. Nolf is the prime example, this opens the door for gaming the system big time. I can see 1 extra year, 2 is just ridiculous regardless of the circumstance.
The Nolf thing is a joke. Nobody is seriously lobbying for Nolf to get an extra year. If you wrestle in the post season, your year is used up period. It's not a discussion. This was not the case with Cassar. He sat out two full years with injuries and has only wrestled in the post season 1 time. He was a lock for 1 year and has a legit argument for 2. As frustrating as it is for Penn State to get these breaks, it's not unprecedented. Grant Leeth from Mizzou was the same situation. Spent a long time recovering from serious injuries. Wrestled his first season at Mizzou as a junior and his second as a sophomore with the extra years given.

The Nolf thing is a joke. Nobody is seriously lobbying for Nolf to get an extra year. If you wrestle in the post season, your year is used up period. It's not a discussion. This was not the case with Cassar. He sat out two full years with injuries and has only wrestled in the post season 1 time. He was a lock for 1 year and has a legit argument for 2. As frustrating as it is for Penn State to get these breaks, it's not unprecedented. Grant Leeth from Mizzou was the same situation. Spent a long time recovering from serious injuries. Wrestled his first season at Mizzou as a junior and his second as a sophomore with the extra years given.

So Sam Stoll should get 1 then

If Sam Stoll applied for one, I think he'd be a reasonable case to get one based on losing basically his entire sophomore year, and I'd have to think he'd have a pretty good shot at getting it.

What makes no sense is stupid post like yours! Just because you do not understand something, does not mean it is not right/correct. TRY to read and understand and learn!

#1) The popularity of various sports varies greatly by not only where you live in the USA, but also in the world! For example Lacrosse here on LI has been extremely popular for many many years. While it is gaining popularity around the country, it still is almost unknown in some parts.

#2) If you are a champion Wrestler or Weightlifter in some countries. It is like being a Pro athlete here as far as popularity and how you are looked upon.

#3) Powerlifting is well established in at least 50 countries! You can't name 50 countries. There are also more then a dozen Federations(a problem I referred too).

#4) Wrestling certainly is not the biggest sport in America but has been gaining popularity for many years. I believe a recent article I read said it was #5 in high school participation! That is pretty darn good, and it is growing especially with the girls.

Please also remember that many times things travel in circles. Wrestling here in the USA was BIGGER then all other sports around 100 years ago. If you look back at history. The biggest sporting events were Wrestling. I can not remember the number of fans that watched, Frank Gotch vs. Hackenschmit in Chicago, But it was the largest crowd at any sporting event at that time!
I understand powerlifting quote well. In fact I have Louis Simmons home phone number, I personally know Dave Tate, Swede Burns, Josh Bryant, Steve Pulcinella among others.
Whether you love a sport or not does not determine it’s popularity. The general public makes that call.
Powerlifting never drew a lot of fans in the USA , outside of some larger meets back in the 1 federation days (Budweiser record breakers and a few Larry Pacifico meets I believe a nationals or world’s ).
Girl high school basketball playoffs draw more fans than most meets I attend . Most spectators are friends and family or gym buddies of the lifers.
Even with over thirty federations in the USA , yeah you’re way off, that isn’t the issue in fandom. It’s because the sport is boring to watch for the average fan. It’s just not exciting or intriguing .
Other nations don’t factor into why it popular here or not.

With the way they're handing them out now, he should for his sophomore year. You used to have to have missed 2 seasons to get 1. Under that criteria, he shouldn't get one, having only missed his sophomore post season. While he was hurt at the end of his freshman year, I don't believe he missed a single competition and he wrestled at NCAAs. Definitely can't count that as a missed year.

If Sam Stoll applied for one, I think he'd be a reasonable case to get one based on losing basically his entire sophomore year, and I'd have to think he'd have a pretty good shot at getting it.
Yeah, he probably could, but it is painful for me to watch him attempt to move, must be really bad for him.

Maybe it isn't as bad as it appears from a pain standpoint, he just appears to be laboring just walking to the center of the mat.

Can we just all agree and end this topic by saying both David Taylor and Tim Dwight are/were juicers. End of topic.

Yeah, he probably could, but it is painful for me to watch him attempt to move, must be really bad for him.

Maybe it isn't as bad as it appears from a pain standpoint, he just appears to be laboring just walking to the center of the mat.

Yup. Stoll could get one but what would be the point?

Can we just all agree and end this topic by saying both David Taylor and Tim Dwight are/were juicers. End of topic.

Stop.

Yea, I think you are correct, but then again this would be F*** st. and rules just don't seem to apply the same for them.

So with there relatively new "gray' shirts, added to the Red shirt, + TWO med shirts. F*** st Wrestlers can now get 8 years!?!?!?!

Oh wait, forgot an Olympic year, Hardship waiver, did not enroll thing.......

So technically their guys can Wrestle for however long it takes. Grab some PEDs and re-event yourself after the regular time frame!!! UNREAL!
:( :( :rolleyes:

https://images.app.goo.gl/xJhCBxbk1LRLdA9u8

Good Lord you are a bitter dude.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT