ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic wouldja?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
As a practicing Catholic would you refuse to go to a gay wedding? The MIL's second husband is refusing to go to the marriage of his nephew because it's a same sex marriage. The MIL has told him that she is going, and he can stay at home. She is a practicing, mass every week Catholic. Her second husband at one time was studying to be a priest, but when it came time to take his vows backed out. He grew up poor in a Polish enclave of the West Side of Chicago, and despite fleeing the priesthood has remained active in the church. He goes to Africa to do missionary work twice a year for 2-3 weeks each trip. He serves at homeless shelter to the point of staying overnight sometimes. He's a fairly wealthy guy who gives a lot of money to causes of the Catholic Church.
CSB, I know, but I was a little shocked at his attitude after knowing him for 15 or so years. The marriage to the MIL is the second for the both of them, so, he will attend the marriage of someone who is divorced.
Catholic or not, would you pass up on attending a same sex marriage out of moral considerations?

My lapsed Catholic is showing here a bit, but unless this couple got annulments for their first marriages, are they even allowed to take communion?
In the case of my MIL I know that she was refused communion for many years.
Honestly, I don't get the draw of being a Catholic. She complained for years about how the Church treated her. I think her church relented under the direction of a new priest, because she takes communion now.
To continue on with my story, the MIL's second husband did get an annulment. His first wife suffered from severe mental illness years into their marriage and had to be institutionalized. She passed away 25 years ago after several years at a care facility. He was granted an annulment at some point in time.

Reactions: JMNSHO and Torg
My lapsed Catholic is showing here a bit, but unless this couple got annulments for their first marriages, are they even allowed to take communion?

Depends. If they were married in a Catholic Church, yes annulment is needed. If they were not married in a Catholic Church, then no because it would not be considered a real marriage or something along those lines. About 95% sure that’s the case.

To answer the OP’s question… I am Catholic and have been to a same sex marriage.

My dad was a devoted Catholic. I have 8 brother and sisters and we were all raised Catholic.... Catholic schools K-12, altar boy, all the sacraments, CYO, FCA, the whole works. I left the church for a couple reasons lets just say that the priest abuse scandal pushed me over the fence.

I am normally indifferent to attend weddings unless it is a relative or very close friend. In any event, I would be hyper excited to attend a gay wedding if I knew for sure my doing so would disturb a strict Catholic or some other religious nut.

Won't go to the wedding but probably supports priests raping kids.
Yeah, he isn't a fan of that. Given that he went to seminary school in the 1960s I wonder if he has stories he'll never tell.

She isn't Catholic.
Maybe some vintage Jenny McCarthy from her first Playboy spread?

I’d go. I would also wonder why I continue to participate in a club that I don’t share the beliefs of.

If i was the nephew, i’d prefer the MIL’s husband not go. Why would i want some judgmental asshole to be there when they aren’t going to recognize the marriage is valid anyway?

Maybe he knows there will be lots of gays at the wedding and he's afraid of being outed

If i was the nephew, i’d prefer the MIL’s husband not go. Why would i want some judgmental asshole to be there when they aren’t going to recognize the marriage is valid anyway?
It's a weird dynamic, I'll admit. The father of the groom died suddenly when the kids were little. My MIL's husband stepped in and financially supported the groom and his sister. He put them through college. Their mom raised them, but he was always there when needed. There is another sibling of my MIL's husband who was born mentally handicapped, and although she functions independently, he has supported her for the most part in life. He is very generous and supportive of his family. But, yeah, the Church says no gay weddings, so he can't get past it.

The Roman Catholic Church has lost its
credibility as a moral judge. They hid and
shielded too many priests who committed
crimes of sexual abuse of children.

Their refusal to allow priests to be married
has contributed to a crime-infested church.
To permit married priests would attract a
much higher quality of seminarians.

I am Catholic. I would go to a gay wedding.

what I like about church is a good homily that tells stories of wisdom and some history. The rest doesn’t do anything for me.

I see lots of people reading the bulletin during the homily so obviously different parts appeal to different people.

Last edited:
Roman Catholics know it, Lutherans know it, and
Baptists know it......a good homily or sermon is
one that proclaims Jesus Christ as our Lord and
Savior. He died on the cross to forgive our sins
and rose from the grave to give eternal life to
all who believe in Him.

ADVERTISEMENT