ADVERTISEMENT

Caucasian Point Guards....

IllQChawk

HR All-American
May 29, 2001
With all this talk about whether or not Jason Bohannon is a legit point guard because of the color of his skin. How many former Caucasian point guards can anyone remember making a impact for their teams over the past say 30 years.....I'll start, Duke's Bobby Hurley, seems he directed Duke to 3 national titles.....

think less about skin color and more about slow feet and hips. he has difficulty staying in front of faster/quicker athletes. it caused a lot of problems/breakdowns on D last year and won’t change this year. now that PJ isn’t getting the opposing teams best guard defender JBo will get plenty of D attention too. we’ll see how it goes.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
think less about skin color and more about slow feet and hips. he has difficulty staying in front of faster/quicker athletes. it caused a lot of problems/breakdowns on D last year and won’t change this year. now that PJ isn’t getting the opposing teams best guard defender JBo will get plenty of D attention too. we’ll see how it goes.

Ok, I see where you're going with this....I'm going to disagree with you on this subject...take Michigan's States Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn Jr., 5' 10" 175lb senior guard that plays heavy minutes for the Spartans. Faster then a speeding bullet, both Tum Tum and Jordan can run a team effectively, but in a game of horse or taking a last minute shot to win a game I'll take Jordan every time and it's not even close....

Reactions: MagicCoach
Ok, I see where you're going with this....I'm going to disagree with you on this subject...take Michigan's States Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn Jr., 5' 10" 175lb senior guard that plays heavy minutes for the Spartans. Faster then a speeding bullet, both Tum Tum and Jordan can run a team effectively, but in a game of horse or taking a last minute shot to win a game I'll take Jordan every time and it's not even close....
I would also take JBo over Tum Tum, who can't shoot as well as I can, and I am over 60. Tum Tum is a good defender and a pretty good ball handler. He is not the best PG on MSU.

With all this talk about whether or not Jason Bohannon is a legit point guard because of the color of his skin. How many former Caucasian point guards can anyone remember making a impact for their teams over the past say 30 years.....I'll start, Duke's Bobby Hurley, seems he directed Duke to 3 national titles.....

Stop making shit up.

Skin color is not the issue, you are lying.

Jordan has strengths and weaknesses just like Nairn. Both are capable of being successful pgs.

Latteral quickness happens to be Jordan's weakness, its not an opinion its blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes that work.

Ideally JBO would play with a couple other athletic gaurds at the 1 and 2/3. That would make his life 100 percent easier on both ends, but its not going to be, so he will make do and still very productive.

Jordan is basically a poor mans Steph Curry. They have very simillar strengths and weaknesses just on a totally different level. One of the reasons Curry is so good is because he has perfect complimentary players around him that mask all of his weaknesses.

Curry is a pg that usually isnt the primary ballhandler and always guards the other teams worst offensive perimiter player. That would be the ideal role for JBO.

John Stockton is debatably the greatest true PG ever to play the game at any level. Yes he was in college more than 30 years ago but he dominated the sport. When he retired at 42 he was still leading the league in assists and 3pt shooting percentage. Race has no bearing on basketball. JoBo might not be the fastest or most athletic but he can succeed. Basketball is as much about intelligence and anticipation as it athleticism and if you can see the play develop you can create opportunities even against superior competition

Stop making shit up.

Skin color is not the issue, you are lying.

Jordan has strengths and weaknesses just like Nairn. Both are capable of being successful pgs.

Latteral quickness happens to be Jordan's weakness, its not an opinion its blatantly obvious to anyone with eyes that work.

Ideally JBO would play with a couple other athletic gaurds at the 1 and 2/3. That would make his life 100 percent easier on both ends, but its not going to be, so he will make do and still very productive.

Jordan is basically a poor mans Steph Curry. They have very simillar strengths and weaknesses just on a totally different level. One of the reasons Curry is so good is because he has perfect complimentary players around him that mask all of his weaknesses.

Curry is a pg that usually isnt the primary ballhandler and always guards the other teams worst offensive perimiter player. That would be the ideal role for JBO.

You sir.....are full of crap...it would be nice if Fran would recruit your so called super point guard, but this is the real world and I consider the point guard that just happens to play for our Hawkeyes and last year as a freshmen starting 27 games and was 1 of only 2 point guards to have over 175 assists and 89 threes...in all my 60 years of being a Hawk fan I have never seen such a performance from a freshmen none the less, and you still doubt his playing ability? Really, for those who feel the way you do, should start rooting for that team that wears the Cardinal and Gold that resides in Ames. I hear they have the point guard you're all yearning for.....

Last edited:
Reactions: mtown66

Scott Skiles - Tough as nails and alot of fun to watch play.

there are numerous ways to win...the last time i looked how fast one runs the 40 doesnt determine success. I've seen plenty of faster than snot PG's play poorly and play out of control...ya they sure do attack the basket alright....its called get the hell out of my way cause here I come....turns it over or gets called for a charge...and his teammates are standing there with hands out...like WTF are you doing?

I'll take a team that plays well together every time...could give a rats ass whether the player is black or white...or whether the Point is a speedster..

4d1009379a2594ac04d8d531d7173272.png

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Bohannon already proved that he is a helluva PG. JBo is getting 100X the respect from other BT Teams fans than he is getting from supposed Hawk Fans. as well as Nationally.

this is embarrassing

Reactions: Ronman
Bohannon already proved that he is a helluva PG. JBo is getting 100X the respect from other BT Teams fans than he is getting from supposed Hawk Fans. as well as Nationally.

this is embarrassing

You are the only great Hawkeye fan left. A plague has turned the rest of us into player hating zombies.

"Want point guard!!!!!"

Last edited:
like I said JBo is getting more respect for his ability at playing PG by the media and opposing fans of other teams.
not just BT fans either, Kansas fans that post on the main board,

like I said JBo is getting more respect for his ability at playing PG by the media and opposing fans of other teams.
not just BT fans either, Kansas fans that post on the main board,
A few more- Chad Calabria, Bobby Hurley, Jon Crispin ........:)

Reactions: DanL53
Get rid of this thread... OP can't even get our PG's name right. Who cares about skin-color as long as they can play ball? JBo has been nothing short of great for the Hawkeyes, DJ Carton will be a great replacement in a few years (if we get him), and who knows after that. He handles the ball, he shoots well, and can drive enough to make a kick-out pass. His defense is shaky but suggesting it has something to do with his skin color, let me point to Tyler Cook. His defense is his biggest weakness as well.

Race has no bearing on basketball. ...Basketball is as much about intelligence and anticipation as it athleticism and if you can see the play develop you can create opportunities even against superior competition

"Race has no bearing on basketball."

The race of the majority of the best players at every level says otherwise. The numbers don't lie and the God of biomechanics will not be disavowed. Citing exceptions that prove the rule does not disprove the numbers.

"Basketball is as much about intelligence and anticipation as it is athleticism..."

No. An elite athlete with below average intelligence and anticipation skills will beat an average athlete with superior intelligence and anticipation skills every time and very badly.

Further, anticipation can be learned and improved upon by even the dimmest elite athlete. Elite athleticism cannot be learned. It's a gift.

Last edited:
You sir.....are full of crap...it would be nice if Fran would recruit your so called super point guard, but this is the real world and I consider the point guard that just happens to play for our Hawkeyes and last year as a freshmen starting 27 games and was 1 of only 2 point guards to have over 175 assists and 89 threes...in all my 60 years of being a Hawk fan I have never seen such a performance from a freshmen none the less, and you still doubt his playing ability? Really, for those who feel the way you do, should start rooting for that team that wears the Cardinal and Gold that resides in Ames. I hear they have the point guard you're all yearning for.....

Did you even understand what I wrote dummy?

I compared him to one of the best in the world.

Last edited:
There is no doubt that the majority of top PGs are black, but there will be PGs from other races who are also among the best. In the case of JBo, he is clearly a "plus" offensive PG, but a "minus" defensive PG. His shooting and moxie are among the best. His size and quickness are not. I am happy he is a Hawk, but I still hope that Fran will reel in an even better PG in the next couple of recruiting classes. Most of his targets happen to be black, but that is not an important criterion.

Reactions: unclesammy

uh, when was JoBo's skin color ever brought up? wow. just wow.

Reactions: RocknRollface
BTW, I think Bohannon is really good as a 3pt shooting PG and running the team. I think the style Iowa plays, pressure/uptempo isn't ideal for his skill set. The slow play of Wisconsin might hide his defense deficiencies better.

Bohannon is is either 1st or 2nd in importance to Iowa success.

Clearly the gift of fast twitch muscles is random and do not influence success in some sports. That is why most of the worlds top 100 meter sprinters, the NBA all-star game, NFL CBs, RBs, and WRs have such a diverse ethic background.

Reactions: RocknRollface
John Stockton is debatably the greatest true PG ever to play the game at any level. Yes he was in college more than 30 years ago but he dominated the sport. When he retired at 42 he was still leading the league in assists and 3pt shooting percentage. Race has no bearing on basketball. JoBo might not be the fastest or most athletic but he can succeed. Basketball is as much about intelligence and anticipation as it athleticism and if you can see the play develop you can create opportunities even against superior competition
Cooz.

Ok...now let’s do Shooting Guards. And then maybe quarterbacks and running backs tomorrow. We already know what skin colors have had more historic success at certain positions and in specific sports.

White dudes that can play ball or black dudes that can throw and run a football team aren’t really anamolies though. There is good representation there even if they are the minority. There is enough representation there that although it may not be as common, you shouldn’t feel like you need a white QB or a black PG to have a good one.

JBo is a good point guard. There are lots of guys like him that are good point guards. You don’t look for a specific skin color when choosing a PG. You take the best guy you can get who is the best fit. Maybe that guy is black more than average but plenty of times it’s a white guy. I really don’t give a crap. I like JBo’s skill set and he is a really good PG. He can handle, pass, and shoot it lights out. We should just be happy to have him and be excited about a guy like Carton as well and not worry about skin color. If I were moderator I think I’d make everyone read this thread and learn a thing or two. Then maybe delete and say say “don’t ever post this BS again”.

Ok...now let’s do Shooting Guards. And then maybe quarterbacks and running backs tomorrow. We already know what skin colors have had more historic success at certain positions and in specific sports.

White dudes that can play ball or black dudes that can throw and run a football team aren’t really anamolies though. There is good representation there even if they are the minority. There is enough representation there that although it may not be as common, you shouldn’t feel like you need a white QB or a black PG to have a good one.

JBo is a good point guard. There are lots of guys like him that are good point guards. You don’t look for a specific skin color when choosing a PG. You take the best guy you can get who is the best fit. Maybe that guy is black more than average but plenty of times it’s a white guy. I really don’t give a crap. I like JBo’s skill set and he is a really good PG. He can handle, pass, and shoot it lights out. We should just be happy to have him and be excited about a guy like Carton as well and not worry about skin color. If I were moderator I think I’d make everyone read this thread and learn a thing or two. Then maybe delete and say say “don’t ever post this BS again”.

Yeah, but before it's gone forever, "Why aren't there more African-American Hockey players?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT