ADVERTISEMENT

Cauliflower - Advice for my son?

Oct 24, 2020
My son is a high school wrestler. He has wrestled 6-10 months out of the year growing up usually. Now he is basically year round. For the first time he is having some problems with his ear(s)- he doesn't want a wrestling "badge of honor" if he can help it. He thinks he needs it drained ASAP and wants my help. Not sure his pediatrician would know what to do. I will probably go to some type of doctor but not sure who. Any tips or thoughts? - for immediate treatment and prevention in the future???..... He also doesn't want to take a break from wrestling practices. He has a couple years of high school left and is pretty focused on success.

My son is a high school wrestler. He has wrestled 6-10 months out of the year growing up usually. Now he is basically year round. For the first time he is having some problems with his ear(s)- he doesn't want a wrestling "badge of honor" if he can help it. He thinks he needs it drained ASAP and wants my help. Not sure his pediatrician would know what to do. I will probably go to some type of doctor but not sure who. Any tips or thoughts? - for immediate treatment and prevention in the future???..... He also doesn't want to take a break from wrestling practices. He has a couple years of high school left and is pretty focused on success.
Wear head gear. If it were my boy, I’d go to an ENT or plastic surgeon. I am no expert.

My Grandpa used to heat his smallest drill bit on the end and just use his fingers and twist back and forth. With peroxide or alcohol of course. Then a small syringe to pull out the puss.

Reactions: Grip220
My advice on cauliflower is that it’s a great vegetable, but it’s been a little over hyped these days. Cauliflower RICE!? No thanks

I personally just like to roast it in the oven and season it with whatever spices I’m feeling at the moment. Keep it simple

Reactions: cmhawks99
Depending where you live, and how popular wrestling is in that area? Will greatly determine who to see. When I got Cauliflower ear when I was in 10th grade. Here where I live, no one seemed to have a clue what to do. No internet back in 82, so my parents took me to lord knows who? They cut through the back of my ear and started pulling out pieces!!!

To this day, if I poke the back of my ear in that spot, it still hurts?!?!?! So in any case, I would go to a doctor. Try and ask around for someone who is knowledgable. Again if you are in a "wrestling area" you may get lucky. If not, search the internet and make calls.

Like some have said, have the kid wear Headgear all the time! I had to switch to the CK style that most NCAA guys wear for a year. GOOD LUCK let us know how it turns out?

Reactions: Inthecircle
my ears got bad in college a few times. Forget “casting”…there’s not enough pressure to keep fluid out. Drain it daily and less and less fluid will return each day. The ear I drained daily has no cauliflower at all and it was thicker than any I had seen.

Reactions: wyldhawk9
Would think your HS Coach should be able to provide info on what to do or who to see. Could you reach out to a trainer at some nearby college wrestling program?

If he doesn't want a badge of honor, he'd be better off staying at a Holiday Inn Express than following advice gleaned here. There's a reason doctors are required to go to medical school and their participation in wrestling is optional. Even if you GP has no experience with it, they will be able to refer you to someone better equipped than some dude with a sterilized nail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT