ADVERTISEMENT

CB depth

Half-Full Hawk

HR All-State
Jun 7, 2018
Well, even prior to this decommit I was thinking we need to stock up on more corners. I'm bullish for '20 + '21 (CB will be a strength), but the younger classes look thin. I know it's WAY early... but just for discussion:

2020: Hankins (sr.), Moss (jr.), Brents, Roberts, Johnson (so.), McKinney, Harris, Deasfernandes (fr.).

2021: We only lose Hankins for certain, so unless someone jumps pro early we still have 4 solid CB's

2022: More likely that some CB leaves early for NFL or lack of PT. Unknown is whether McKinney, Harris, and Deasfernandes will be high-level B1G CB's. Beyond them, we need to reload...

I feel safety is more stocked, assuming Lawson, Bracy, Castro, + Craddieth, plus the walk-on from CA and now DeJean, are pegged for safety. And yes, part of my confidence level in safety is that we have a history with successful walk-ons and the above scholarship guys seemed like good recruiting wins. Thoughts?

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
I kind of wonder if either Vines or Keagan Johnson ultimately end up at DB?

I kind of wonder if either Vines or Keagan Johnson ultimately end up at DB?
Time will tell, film looks good for both at DB as well so a good problem to have. Although, PP always gets some good DBs and I'd rather have those guys at WR, both Vines and KJ have some moves!

Although, I don't think Belton had a very good Bowl game, I think he's the guy at Cash; I still think Dallas Craddieth finds his way on to field fo the Iowa Hawkeyes.

He was a true freshman playing against a future NFL player at receiver and a QB who will be a high draft pick when eligible in 2 years. Belton had a good year for a first-year player. I would expect he will make more big plays next year given his experience and athletic ability.

Well, even prior to this decommit I was thinking we need to stock up on more corners. I'm bullish for '20 + '21 (CB will be a strength), but the younger classes look thin. I know it's WAY early... but just for discussion:

2020: Hankins (sr.), Moss (jr.), Brents, Roberts, Johnson (so.), McKinney, Harris, Deasfernandes (fr.).

2021: We only lose Hankins for certain, so unless someone jumps pro early we still have 4 solid CB's

2022: More likely that some CB leaves early for NFL or lack of PT. Unknown is whether McKinney, Harris, and Deasfernandes will be high-level B1G CB's. Beyond them, we need to reload...

I feel safety is more stocked, assuming Lawson, Bracy, Castro, + Craddieth, plus the walk-on from CA and now DeJean, are pegged for safety. And yes, part of my confidence level in safety is that we have a history with successful walk-ons and the above scholarship guys seemed like good recruiting wins. Thoughts?

The defensive backfield room is as deep as it's been really ever, and that is saying something. Lots of guys with good size who can run. Having 4 CB's (5 if you include Belton) that Iowa would feeel good about in 2021 is a luxury most other teams don't have.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
Iowa has and will, with success, play corners as true freshman - so building depth right now is a little less concerning.

Brents Hankins Belton Koerner is a hell of group to start with, mix in Moss, Merriweather Roberts and Johnson and you have a very talented, experienced group.

if they can find a MLB and DE it’s going to be a special defense again.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Never worried too much about our Defense. I mean there’s been years where we weren’t the best defensively, but in this kind of system we were never out of a game. I just hope our QB can move us down the field. That position is the biggest question mark and will be my largest focus. Big kid and was highly rated, but what will happen when the lights come on. I hope he’s the next Tom Brady! ;)

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Never worried too much about our Defense. I mean there’s been years where we weren’t the best defensively, but in this kind of system we were never out of a game. I just hope our QB can move us down the field. That position is the biggest question mark and will be my largest focus. Big kid and was highly rated, but what will happen when the lights come on. I hope he’s the next Tom Brady! ;)
Not me, I hope he’s a better college QB than Brady.

This.
And, for me, Middle Linebacker. QB and MB.
Need to lead!

ADVERTISEMENT