ADVERTISEMENT

CBB: 5 teams that could overachieve, Iowa Hawkeyes one of them

B_U_C_K_Y

HB Legend
Jul 17, 2011
Iowa Hawkeyes
The forgotten team in the Big Ten still has firepower.

How much?

Enough to get back to the NCAA Tournament for the third consecutive season.

The Hawkeyes have been in afterthought in most people's discussions about the Big Ten since last season ended, but that doesn't mean that they're not capable of being a team that hears its name called on Selection Sunday.

Fran McCaffery returns five players who averaged double-figure minutes from last year's team that lost to Gonzaga in the Round of 32. Mike Gesell, Anthony Clemmons, and Adam Woodbury are a proud trio of seniors while Jarrod Uthoff should emerge as this team's go-to player following Aaron White's departure.

If Iowa can get a breakout year out of Dom Uhl and newcomers like Brady Ellingson, Andrew Fleming, and Dale Jones shoot the ball the way they did prior to committing to the Hawkeyes' program, McCaffery could have a team that wins 20-plus games finishes in the upper tier of the Big Ten.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...uld-overachieve-oklahoma-state-could-surprise

My thoughts: I fully expect them to make the tournament with what we have returning. I guess the college basketball world hasn't taken notice yet at what Fran McCaffery is doing at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.