ADVERTISEMENT

CBS roasts Campbell

I said the same thing. He quit on them and what kind of message does that send to his players and recruits

I agree. I was shocked. You're down two scores. Get a quick TD and recover an onside kick and you got a shot. Not likely, but not impossible. Think Iowa vs. NW...was it 2005?

You're right, though. It sends a horrible message to your team.

He quit on the team and the team quit on him late in the game, all this in the first week of the season. It will be a really long season or they will come together as a team, one way or the other. I say long season, they just aren’t that talented.

He quit on the team and the team quit on him late in the game, all this in the first week of the season. It will be a really long season or they will come together as a team, one way or the other. I say long season, they just aren’t that talented.

Your last sentence is likely the right answer. They just aren't that good.

Funniest part was Louisiana called a time out at the end anyway.

Then scored another TD... on 4th down!

🤣 🤣 🤣

Don't blame them. Sun Belt team on the road against a ranked P5 team, go get that blowout win. If I were an ISU fan I'd probably have been more embarrassed had Louisiana taken their foot off the gas to spare my program's feelies.

Reactions: tWarnerHawk
Well, it didn't change the outcome. ISU couldn't stop them on the last drive. I think you use your timeouts anyway, but it wouldn't have made a difference.

Disappointing loss for sure. Aside from the one long pass play, I thought ISU defense played well enough to win. Louisiana was a good team, and seemed quicker than ISU. Two kick returns + poor OL play was the difference. Losing Downing didn't help, but injuries are part of the game. Their OL was a big concern coming into the season, and this game confirmed that. Kudos to Louisiana, they played great + deserved to win. Not sure what to make of Purdy. He can't do much with such a poor OL. Quite a few drops, but Purdy was off all day.

As far as Campbell not calling TO - I was ok with it. After the offense didn't convert that last 4th down, the game was over. Why delay the inevitable?

ISU fans are well conditioned for games like this. It sucks. I was disapponted, but I wasn't even mad. I hope they figure it out. In spite of the loss, I'm just glad they played today and I was able to watch. Hope they have a game in 2 weeks vs. TCU, there is no guarantee.

Also, not having Kolar today didn't help, but I refuse to use injury as an excuse. Chase Allen has his opportunities, but had too many drops.

Oh well. Try again in 2 weeks at TCU....i hope

Gee, clever and witty.
You should try stealing better humor.
66528410.jpg

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Campbell is like a healthy, young tree that was planted in a toxic cesspool. He held on for a little while, but now he's wilting, tilting and succumbing to his environment. Soon he'll be sawdust. Spread across the puke that is ISU.

Quite possibly one of the best analogies or comparisons I’ve seen about coaching at ISU. Well done.

Texted with 2 cyclone football alums throughout the game. Both are pissed at Campbell. Much more than the actual L.

Serious question here....what is his specialty? Is he an offensive or defensive guy? I mean, his next gig where is he going to land?

Reactions: pink shizzle
Regarding Purdy... he doesn't have the arm strength and throws off the back foot way too often. He has regressed from his best days. He's a FA signing if he makes it to draft day.

Isu plays in a very weak Big 12. Five wins is pretty attainable.

As I stated before, until Campball figures out that you win with a good OLine... ISU will struggle.

Looks like Pollard got punked with that last contract extension. Jamie is praying Alvarez retires in the next two years.

Reactions: pmtdc
How much was his new contract? $3.5 million a year through 2025?
That looks about right. I think there's a few incentives that can push it to $4M. I think he gets a bonus if they get to 5 wins.

Either way... looks like spreading rumors that other schools are looking at you is what fooled Pollard. Pollard should have researched that the schools inquiring about Campball were high school programs.

Campbell is like a healthy, young tree that was planted in a toxic cesspool. He held on for a little while, but now he's wilting, tilting and succumbing to his environment. Soon he'll be sawdust. Spread across the puke that is ISU.

healthy young tree perhaps...but one that had genetic limitations. It was only going to grow so tall.

Purdy wouldn’t start for the Barnstormers the way he played today. I don’t think they need to worry about ol noodle arm leaving early.

Can't make judgements on one game, but not sure i have ever seen the Purdy to NFL thing. He's small. Decent arm. But doesn't really inspire confidence against good opponents.

As to Campbell, he's a good coach but never understood the anointing as one of the best coaches in college FB. Based on what exactly? He's created an identity at ISU and has given them a program, but they were just plain mistake-prone last year, and looks much the same this year. That is not good coaching.

I just think it's funny how much Campbell is trying to turn ISU into Iowa. Black uni's. Black helmets. Trying to build up the OL (albeit unsuccessfully). Focusing on TEs and running multiple TE formations. Now he's putting the QB under center and running sneaks. Next he'll probably paint the visitor's locker room pink and want a water tower next to the field. Funny stuff.

My headline would have read: Moo U - Udder Destruction... :p

Disappointing loss for sure. Aside from the one long pass play, I thought ISU defense played well enough to win. Louisiana was a good team, and seemed quicker than ISU. Two kick returns + poor OL play was the difference. Losing Downing didn't help, but injuries are part of the game. Their OL was a big concern coming into the season, and this game confirmed that. Kudos to Louisiana, they played great + deserved to win. Not sure what to make of Purdy. He can't do much with such a poor OL. Quite a few drops, but Purdy was off all day.

As far as Campbell not calling TO - I was ok with it. After the offense didn't convert that last 4th down, the game was over. Why delay the inevitable?

ISU fans are well conditioned for games like this. It sucks. I was disapponted, but I wasn't even mad. I hope they figure it out. In spite of the loss, I'm just glad they played today and I was able to watch. Hope they have a game in 2 weeks vs. TCU, there is no guarantee.

Two things, both are going to come off as the arrogant Hawk fan but that is not my intent. 1- Why do you come over to the Iowa board to post this? I know you are far from the only Cyclone fan looking at our board or posting. In my opinion, what you posted was all a legit feeling of the game but the last place I would want to be is at Iowa St, Nebraska or Minnesota's board after a loss. I feel comfortable in my assessments of Iowa football and where the Hawks are in the national spotlight that I don't ever go over to any of the other boards.

Two, are you really not upset with Campbell on the TO situation? Again, I was not rooting for you and won't because of the simple fact of not being a large enough state to share recruits. As a coach and teacher, however, I felt that displayed the wrong message to the team. I respect Campbell and think he has done a nice job at Iowa St. but the end of that game could have turned some players off.

I just think it's funny how much Campbell is trying to turn ISU into Iowa. Black uni's. Black helmets. Trying to build up the OL (albeit unsuccessfully). Focusing on TEs and running multiple TE formations. Now he's putting the QB under center and running sneaks. Next he'll probably paint the visitor's locker room pink and want a water tower next to the field. Funny stuff.

Maybe he was also trying KF's clock management style at the end as well? Imitation is the finest form of flattery. Maybe they will even run out to Back in Black?

Reactions: mstp1992
I said the same thing. He quit on them and what kind of message does that send to his players and recruits

Campbell has ALWAYS been an overrated coach. Was the next hot coach that everyone wanted. It's time that he's on the hot seat at Iowa State.

That looks about right. I think there's a few incentives that can push it to $4M. I think he gets a bonus if they get to 5 wins.

Either way... looks like spreading rumors that other schools are looking at you is what fooled Pollard. Pollard should have researched that the schools inquiring about Campball were high school programs.

Wow, no wonder Pollard is trying to can arts and culture programs at Iowa State. Have to pay the salary of an underachieving coach at a second rate football program.

Reactions: Eternal Return
What's clear is Pollard got duped with Campball's contract. Now he's got to hope for the best.

I get the impression some of the luster has dimmed in regards to the fans opinion of the HC. Not sure he's gotten to Criner/Walden/Rhodes level yet, but more efforts like today and the pressure increases. Having a contract that runs thru 2025 is going to test their patience.

That said... back in the spring... everyone knew that ISU was going to lose on 9-12-2020.

3 hours of cyclone pregame will let you know they are "stacked". Hahahahaha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT