CBS Sports Top 75 Draft

hawkquiz

HR All-State
Jan 27, 2007
Just saw it recently released.

Joe W at 52

Luka no where in the top 75.

How many Hawk fans agree?

Luka is coming back, no matter the NBA. And Joe W . . . well, I'd like to see him fulfill his college potential in Iowa City first. He has the talent, but he has a ways to go to realize that talent. And he knows it.

Joe W was great in some games and completely nonexistent in others, especially later in the year. The thought of him going pro at this point in time is laughable. Maybe in two years he might be ready but needs to really work on his consistency and toughness (both physical and mental) before he can be considered a next level guy

Maybe so, but you have to admit he wasn't trending in the right direction at the end of the year......

I will give you that but to say he is "okay," as per other above have said, as a true sophomore is the undersell of the year. Again, I said he has lots of work to do to even have a chance at the next level but you cannot deny that the guy has put together a very good body of work in college thus far.

Reactions: perryhawk
He was a sophomore, he's good and somebody thinks he ranks in the top 75 of college players. What's the problem with this scenario? The crime is that Luka is not there.

Weezy at this point is a very good college player who would need to add more strength, toughness and offensive game to make in the NBA. Remember, dude is true sophomore, so still on track.

This is right on the money.....If Joe gets in the weight room and gets aggressive next year then look out.

Getting drafted is one thing, sticking wherever you get drafted to is another.

Reactions: owenhawk
Just saw it recently released.

Joe W at 52

Luka no where in the top 75.

How many Hawk fans agree?
So, Joe is a 2nd round NBA draft pick in their minds?

No knock on either player but I think the NBA evaluators would say that neither would be drafted in the first 2 rounds.

And when is the NBA draft going to be held? How would Joe and Garza even be evaluated if there are no predraft camps, combines, etc? There is so much uncertainty right now.

And remember: you get a guaranteed contract and guaranteed money only if drafted in the first round.

What's guaranteed if they come back to Iowa? A starting spot & playing with their buddies.

Both players will be back to lead Iowa to their 1st B1G Championship in 42 years and their 1st ever National Championship.

And THEN, maybe, just maybe, Fran will be appreciated by the fan base and get that huge RELB that he deserves. ;)

Last edited:
I don't know either guy, but I would be shocked if either player enters the draft or leaves for any other reason. The virus does add some uncertainty to just about everything... If Luka didn't play himself into the draft, I don't know what more he could do. I know he (and his dad) love college basketball. Honestly, Weesy didn't do much to improve his draft stock this year. If we can just have college basketball this year, I think Iowa's players feel like there is some unfinished business, and they will have some additional pieces coming back to help.

Reactions: Ronman
I would say is very favorable they both will be back....No predraft combines so show off that your more talented than scouts think....And to be honest, who is going to want to go overseas to play this fall?

Reactions: perryhawk
Banker should be calling!
When Fran is presented the National Championship trophy, I predict he will say something like this:

I obviously am very proud of these kids. But what makes me most proud is that they all are getting their degrees and they are all good kids and good citizens. We may not get 5 star recruits and one and done's but that's not what's most important. What's most important is that they are 5 star people, they are 4 years and done, with a degree. And the icing on the cake is this trophy right here and the lifetime memories that they have created, together.

Oh, one more thing. That 10 year, $100 million contract that was rumored is officially no longer a rumor; it was signed last night. I would like to thank Mr Barta for that.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I will give you that but to say he is "okay," as per other above have said, as a true sophomore is the undersell of the year. Again, I said he has lots of work to do to even have a chance at the next level but you cannot deny that the guy has put together a very good body of work in college thus far.

He really had an interesting year. Played more minutes, so his counting stats (points per game) increased, but he was far less efficient than he was as a freshman. Shot 42% on 3's his freshman year, then 34 this year. How much of that is due to the longer college 3-point line this year? We don't know. The pro scouts will want to see how he does in 20-21. Another 34% 3-point accuracy year would not bode well for his pro chances.

Over the last 12 games, he was 11-47 from 3. Over the last 7, he was 4-25. Oof. Something fell completely off with his shot. 12 games is not a super small sample size, that is over a third of the season.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I really think both he and Luka will be back and lead us to a B1G championship and maybe more. Potentially Iowa's best team since Bucky's Fabulous Five.

Reactions: skydog0784
Based on a few good games. Wake up, he isn't getting paid, anywhere, without gaining some weight, better handles, and more aggression.

He was closer, much closer, to honorable mention than 2nd team honors and you're a fool if you think otherwise.

dont change the argument, we all have agreed that he is not ready for the NBA but you keep up this charade that he is an "okay" college player...2nd team...3rd team...honorable mention...either way....it points to a very good player in the toughest conference in the country. 'Okay' players dont get recognized, and you are fool if you think otherwise.

Reactions: owenhawk
He was a sophomore, he's good and somebody thinks he ranks in the top 75 of college players. What's the problem with this scenario? The crime is that Luka is not there.
I don’t see the crime. Luka just can’t move laterally defensively or run the floor enough to cut it in the modern NBA. He’s a civic treasure as a college basketball player though!

Reactions: icwesthawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT