ADVERTISEMENT

CDC recommends colleges don’t test everybody

Hawk and Awe

HR Heisman
Sep 15, 2012
Only those with symptoms or who suspect they may have been exposed.

This feels like it’s going to be masks all over again and they’re making the recommendation due to limited resources. I don’t understand how we get this under control in large groups without 100% testing.

And what does “suspected exposure” mean? I suspect I’m exposed every time I’m around every time I am in a public place

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/colleges-universities/ihe-testing.html

I don’t think it’s a vast conspiracy. They say they don’t know the efficacy of testing everyone vs. just normal preventative measures and that it is likely a resource (cost/supply) issue. They go on to say that in cases where there is a likelihood of community spread, or where the student body is not isolated, that testing everyone may be warranted. From your link:

“In areas with moderate to substantial community transmission where resources allow, local health officials and IHEs may consider testing some or all asymptomatic students, faculty, and staff who have no known exposure (e.g., students in congregate housing such as residence halls) to identify outbreaks and inform control measures.”

Once someone on your dorm floor tests positive it would mean the need for a large batch of tests. If they find cases and think they will set up quarantine areas they are just wishful thinking. It will just take a few students taking into a floor to overwhelm that resource.

Plus, student tests positive... are they allowed to move things out of their room to the new 14 day home? Who is going back to move things for them? Do you assume their roommate is infected or just leave them at the residence hall seeing if they contracted?

ADVERTISEMENT