ADVERTISEMENT

CDC says gay and bi men in Florida need the meningococcal vaccine, to keep them safe in 'worst' outbreak in US history...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
(CNN)Don't be surprised if you see the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention out at the LGBTQ pride parade this year or showing up on your dating app.

The CDC's been trying to warn men in Florida or traveling to Florida, particularly those who identify as gay, bisexual, queer or trans, that they need to get a vaccine that can prevent them from getting meningococcal disease. Meningococcal disease, including meningitis, is a bacterial infection in the lining of the brain and spinal cord.

There is an ongoing outbreak in Florida in what the CDC describes as "one of the worst outbreaks of meningococcal disease among gay and bisexual men in U.S. history."

As of Friday, there have been 26 cases and seven deaths with 24 of these cases among men who have sex with men. Six of the deaths were also a part of the LGBTQ community. Half of the cases have been in men who identify as Hispanic.

The disease doesn't only impact people who identify as LGBT or Q and the illness does not seem to be connected to one particular event. The CDC is still investigating, but the outbreak is ongoing.

Why's this only happening to gay men?

(CNN)Don't be surprised if you see the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention out at the LGBTQ pride parade this year or showing up on your dating app.

The CDC's been trying to warn men in Florida or traveling to Florida, particularly those who identify as gay, bisexual, queer or trans, that they need to get a vaccine that can prevent them from getting meningococcal disease. Meningococcal disease, including meningitis, is a bacterial infection in the lining of the brain and spinal cord.

There is an ongoing outbreak in Florida in what the CDC describes as "one of the worst outbreaks of meningococcal disease among gay and bisexual men in U.S. history."

As of Friday, there have been 26 cases and seven deaths with 24 of these cases among men who have sex with men. Six of the deaths were also a part of the LGBTQ community. Half of the cases have been in men who identify as Hispanic.

The disease doesn't only impact people who identify as LGBT or Q and the illness does not seem to be connected to one particular event. The CDC is still investigating, but the outbreak is ongoing.

Gaymeningitis

Reactions: hydro2.0

It is mostly happening to gay men.

Regardless I would hope that precautions are taken. I wouldn’t wish the illness on anyone.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
There is a viral form of meningitis, but vaccines don't work for bacterial infections. Antibiotics do. I think someone got confused when writing the article.

But whatever, if there is an outbreak of viral meningitis in an area then the people most at risk would be wise to protect themselves from it.

There is a viral form of meningitis, but vaccines don't work for bacterial infections. Antibiotics do. I think someone got confused when writing the article.

But whatever, if there is an outbreak of viral meningitis in an area then the people most at risk would be wise to protect themselves from it.

Yes, they do vaccinate for bacteria. That’s exactly what the meningococcal vaccine targets. Neisseria meningitidis.

Congrats on winning the idiot of the day award. Brought to you by. The following maladies that can be staved off by a vaccine.
  • Corynebacterium diphtheriae, which causes diphtheria
  • Clostridium tetani, which causes tetanus
  • Bordetella pertussis which causes pertussis or whooping cough
  • Haemophilus influenzae type b, which causes a type of meningitis
  • Streptococcus pneumoniae, which causes bloodstream infections, pneumonia and meningitis
  • Neisseria meningitidis, which causes meningococcal disease (a form of meningitis)
  • Salmonella typhi, which causes typhoid
  • Mycobacterium tuberculosis, which causes tuberculosis
  • Yersinia pestis, which causes bubonic plague
  • Bacillus anthracis, which causes anthrax
  • Vibrio cholerae, which causes cholera

Reactions: claykenny

It is a bacteria typically transmitted by upper respiratory contact. That’s why you typically see it in the teenager and college cohorts and breakouts happen on dorm floors.

The bacteria is closely related to gonorrhea and can rarely show up in anal, urethral, cervical, and prostatic locations and therefore be spread by oral sex to the upper airway where it can then end up causing meningitis.

It is likely spreading among that population for the same reason it spreads in a place like a college dorm.

It is a bacteria typically transmitted by upper respiratory contact. That’s why you typically see it in the teenager and college cohorts and breakouts happen on dorm floors.

The bacteria is closely related to gonorrhea and can rarely show up in anal, urethral, cervical, and prostatic locations and therefore be spread by oral sex to the upper airway where it can then end up causing meningitis.

It is likely spreading among that population for the same reason it spreads in a place like a college dorm.

So, only gay men "cohort" closely together?

I would assume the breakout is among a group sharing multiple sexual partners. You know, like a lot of dorms. Did your college experience consist of sitting in your room alone burning heaters?

So, only gay men have multiple partners?

On the whole, no. But there is a subset of gay and bisexual men who have many more partners than the typical American.

So why is the CDC encouraging the entire spectrum of GBTLQXYZ to get vaccinated instead of focusing on the small subset who engage in this sort of activity?

Seems odd to ask a gay man in committed relationship to get vaxxed at the pride parade.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Congrats on winning the idiot of the day award. Brought to you by. The following maladies that can be staved off by a vaccine.
  • Corynebacterium diphtheriae, which causes diphtheria
  • Clostridium tetani, which causes tetanus
  • Bordetella pertussis which causes pertussis or whooping cough
  • Haemophilus influenzae type b, which causes a type of meningitis
  • Streptococcus pneumoniae, which causes bloodstream infections, pneumonia and meningitis
  • Neisseria meningitidis, which causes meningococcal disease (a form of meningitis)
  • Salmonella typhi, which causes typhoid
  • Mycobacterium tuberculosis, which causes tuberculosis
  • Yersinia pestis, which causes bubonic plague
  • Bacillus anthracis, which causes anthrax
  • Vibrio cholerae, which causes cholera
Good lord, sorry if my mistake caused you personal harm. A simple correction would have sufficed. No need to be a complete asshole.

I reread the article, and I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion that "the CDC encouraging the entire spectrum of GBTLQXYZ to get vaccinated".

"The CDC's been trying to warn men in Florida or traveling to Florida, particularly those who identify as gay, bisexual, queer or trans, that they need to get a vaccine that can prevent them from getting meningococcal disease."

"The CDC's been trying to warn men in Florida or traveling to Florida, particularly those who identify as gay, bisexual, queer or trans, that they need to get a vaccine that can prevent them from getting meningococcal disease."
Do you understand that they are speaking to those that are sexually active with multiple partners? Why would a monogamist gay couple need it? You seriously have zero common sense.

What's the lead time required for the meningococcal vaccine? I assume you can't step off the plane in Tampa, get the shot, and then have crazy gay sex with multiple partners that night? It takes time for the vaccine to develop immunity, right???

What's the lead time required for the meningococcal vaccine? I assume you can't step off the plane in Tampa, get the shot, and then have crazy gay sex with multiple partners that night? It takes time for the vaccine to develop immunity, right???

Does Florida require the vaccine? You are hilarious.

Does Florida require the vaccine? You are hilarious.

"The CDC's been trying to warn men in Florida or traveling to Florida... that they need to get a vaccine that can prevent them from getting meningococcal disease."

Nothing there about "requiring"... but nothing about promiscuous gay sex explicitly, either.

"The CDC's been trying to warn men in Florida or traveling to Florida... that they need to get a vaccine that can prevent them from getting meningococcal disease."

Nothing there about "requiring"... but nothing about promiscuous gay sex explicitly, either.
Then who cares? It not a requirement just like the Covid vaccine wasn't a requirement. You think the CDC is going to say only promiscuous gays should get the vax? You are out of touch with reality.

I think I understand now. You didn't read the whole thing or didn't do anything more to look into your questions.

It's probably undiagnosed ADHD

Reactions: globalhawk
Then who cares? It not a requirement just like the Covid vaccine wasn't a requirement. You think the CDC is going to say only promiscuous gays should get the vax? You are out of touch with reality.

Why shouldn't they say that if that's the "at risk" group?

Why lump every other alphabet soup member into the vaccine push?

You hurt my head. Is there some vaccine requirement I am not aware of?

It's not a "requirement" but the CDC is spending taxpayer money for advertisements on gay dating apps and at booths at gay pride events to promote this vaccine.

But they're not really saying exactly WHO needs to get this vaccine.

And I still don't understand why people other than gay men aren't part of the worst outbreak of this disease in US history.

It's not a "requirement" but the CDC is spending taxpayer money for advertisements on gay dating apps and at booths at gay pride events to promote this vaccine.

And I still don't understand why people other than gay men aren't part of the worst outbreak of this disease in US history.
I am honestly starting to believe you are playing a character.

I'm just glad I'm only getting gang banged by men in WV
south-park-drop.gif

Ummm...whut?

CDC recommends meningococcal vaccines for preteens, teens, and certain other people

CDC recommends MenACWY for:

• All preteens at 11 to 12 years old
  • All teens at 16 years old
The booster dose at 16 years old gives teens continued protection during the ages when they are at highest ris

three-serogroups.jpg

I would assume they are targeting the people they are in this push because that's where the outbreak is.

Ummm...whut?

CDC recommends meningococcal vaccines for preteens, teens, and certain other people

CDC recommends MenACWY for:

• All preteens at 11 to 12 years old
  • All teens at 16 years old
The booster dose at 16 years old gives teens continued protection during the ages when they are at highest ris

three-serogroups.jpg

I would assume they are targeting the people they are in this push because that's where the outbreak is.

"As of Friday, there have been 26 cases and seven deaths with 24 of these cases among men who have sex with men. Six of the deaths were also a part of the LGBTQ community. Half of the cases have been in men who identify as Hispanic."

"As of Friday, there have been 26 cases and seven deaths with 24 of these cases among men who have sex with men. Six of the deaths were also a part of the LGBTQ community. Half of the cases have been in men who identify as Hispanic."
Uh huh...hence this:

Uh huh...hence this:

THAT group is not necessarily men who have sex with men.

ADVERTISEMENT