ADVERTISEMENT

CDC says vaccinated people no longer need to wear masks (mainly)

Now you have me genuinely interested. Without giving away any personal information what kind of business are you in? Don’t even need to say what city. Multi-level structure? Good, newer air filtration systems? Care to provide a gender and race breakdown of the office? Any general data on distancing within the office? General idea of age distribution?

I’m being serious, too. I have some thoughts related to anecdotes and observations of my own.

If you’d rather not, no worries. I completely understand. Thanks in advance for any response one way or the other, though!!
Civil Engineering firm
Single story building - bigger than we need
Poor to very poor HVAC system (My office could double as beer cooler)
36 male employees
4 female employees
33 White
4 Black
2 Asian
1 Muslim
10 private offices
Everyone else in 4 pod areas based on department Bridge, Hydraulics, Roadway or Survey. Pod seating is 8-10 feet between desks using a half wall open design.
Age range 75-19 with 75% in the 35-50 range.

And? Even Biden is smart enough to remind you that is their risk, their problem. I'm fully vaccinated, I encourage everyone to do so. If someone doesn't it's not my problem.

I’ve said it three times. Scientists don’t know the efficacy rate of the vaccines vs the other variants out there. Only the one they used to develop and test the current vaccines.

So you and I can still be infected even though we are fully vaccinated. Good chance it’s milder than w/o being vaccinated, but not guaranteed.

I’ve said it three times. Scientists don’t know the efficacy rate of the vaccines vs the other variants out there. Only the one they used to develop and test the current vaccines.

So you and I can still be infected even though we are fully vaccinated. Good chance it’s milder than w/o being vaccinated, but not guaranteed.
And? Do Scientist know that a vaccinated person can't infect another vaccinated person with a variant? No, they don't, because nobody could.
I don't care. Life goes on.

No. What was the efficacy rate of the vaccines against the original Covid? I’ll let you learn yourself. Then, you add in the other variants, including the UK which is the dominant strain in the US now.

What’s the efficacy against that? God gave you a brain. Use it once in a while.

Depending on which vaccine, we were told 70-90%+. So again, either the vaccines are effective in producing immunity to the virus or they aren't. Then there is the reality that even without the vaccine, the risk to healthy people younger than 65 is negligible. I have not seen any state passing legislation prohibiting people from wearing masks if they feel the need to. Of course you dont need a mask or a vaccine since your head is firmly planted inside your ass 24/7/365.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Depending on which vaccine, we were told 70-90%+. So again, either the vaccines are effective in producing immunity to the virus or they aren't. Then there is the reality that even without the vaccine, the risk to healthy people younger than 65 is negligible. I have not seen any state passing legislation prohibiting people from wearing masks if they feel the need to. Of course you dont need a mask or a vaccine since your head is firmly planted inside your ass 24/7/365.
Jan is one of those that can’t get rid of his Covid life and has no real interest in returning to normal. Not the guy I would assume to be like that but each to their own.

I think a distinction needs to be made regarding the vaccines' ability to prevent infection vs. prevent serious illness or death.

To my knowledge, no one has gotten seriously ill with COVID-19 if they've been vaccinated. I believe this is true regardless of viral variant.

I think a distinction needs to be made regarding the vaccines' ability to prevent infection vs. prevent serious illness or death.

To my knowledge, no one has gotten seriously ill with COVID-19 if they've been vaccinated. I believe this is true regardless of viral variant.

And their viral load is so small they don’t infect others - this is why CDC so drastically changed their guidance.

What is wrong with a private business requiring proof of vaccine? Their policy. Don't like then don't go there.
Well for starters we have a whole host of laws prohibiting businesses from discriminating.

Unless you are arguing that businesses should have the unfettered right to turn people away for any reason, in which case you'd be consistent and I wouldn't quibble.

And their viral load is so small they don’t infect others - this is why CDC so drastically changed their guidance.
I have seen reports that some vaccinated folks who contract COVID have high viral loads but no symptoms, which is kinda the worst of all worlds given that they'd spread without knowing it. Not sure how widespread that is though.

In any event, I wonder how viral load for vaccinated individuals compares to (i) people who have recovered from COVID, (ii) children, and (iii) asymptomatic people.

I have seen reports that some vaccinated folks who contract COVID have high viral loads but no symptoms, which is kinda the worst of all worlds given that they'd spread without knowing it. Not sure how widespread that is though.

In any event, I wonder how viral load for vaccinated individuals compares to (i) people who have recovered from COVID, (ii) children, and (iii) asymptomatic people.

Who would they spread the virus to? Vaccinated individuals are ostensibly immune. People who have chosen not to be vaccinated have decided to take their chances. Who are we "protecting"?

Reactions: Gimmered
Well for starters we have a whole host of laws prohibiting businesses from discriminating.

Unless you are arguing that businesses should have the unfettered right to turn people away for any reason, in which case you'd be consistent and I wouldn't quibble.

They can’t discriminate against protected classes of people. Anti-vaxers are not a protected class, nor are anti-maskers.

Reactions: Gimmered

That has to be rare. It was the compelling evidence that vaccinated people don’t spread the virus that caused the CDC to update its guidance.

Speaking of CDC, they updated their statistics. Previously, 6% of corona deaths were attributed solely to the virus; the rest had an average of 2.9 co-morbidities. Currently it stands at >5% (5.1%? 5.9%?) and 4.0 co-morbidities.

Wonder when OSHA will send out an update. I know some manufacturers have went with CDC guidelines, but many have not because OSHA hasn’t updated their guidance. Why do we have two governmental agencies with inconsistent guidelines?

Wonder when OSHA will send out an update. I know some manufacturers have went with CDC guidelines, but many have not because OSHA hasn’t updated their guidance. Why do we have two governmental agencies with inconsistent guidelines?
Non N95 masks would never be considered for protection by OSHA, and N95 mask require the user to pass respiratory qualifications. We are not allowed to wear N95 masks in or facility. OSHA will sit this one out.

I think a distinction needs to be made regarding the vaccines' ability to prevent infection vs. prevent serious illness or death. To my knowledge, no one has gotten seriously ill with COVID-19 if they've been vaccinated. I believe this is true regardless of viral variant.

Not true,.. to date in the US the CDC has counted 223 covid related deaths among vaccinated individuals... see the last couple minutes if this recent exchange...

They can’t discriminate against protected classes of people. Anti-vaxers are not a protected class, nor are anti-maskers.
As long as you acknowledge that protected classes are somewhat arbitrary.

But putting that aside, vaccination status has a much broader implication than does a mask, which is essentially an article of clothing, because it implies the ability to discriminate against people based on medical status. I don't think I need to point out the endless iterations of ways this can be used.

For example, can I exclude potential employees or customers who have taken the HPV vaccine or who are on birth control? Can I exclude people who have ever taken a psychological drug, or who have ever seen a psychologist or psychiatrist? Can I exclude people who are obese or who have had an abortion? Even if I can, do we want that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT