Name: Shaun Beyer
High School: Cedar Rapids Kennedy
Position: Tight End
Graduation Year: 2016
Height: 6-foot-5
Weight: 210 pounds
Video: Hudl

Q: What do you stood out about Iowa?
BEYER: It was kind of my dream school ever since I was a little kid in growing up going to Iowa games. I've always been a Hawkeye fan. I knew deep down that if they offered I'd take it on the spot and that is what I did.

Q: Growing up, how often did you see games at Iowa?
BEYER: I always made it to at least one game per season. It was a present to me if we got to go. I was always excited to go to an Iowa game. It was a special thing. I always enjoyed watching the Hawkeyes whether they were good, not doing the best, or playing great like they have this season. I've always been a Hawkeye fan.

Q: When they offered on Wednesday, how did the trip to Iowa City and the meeting go?
BEYER: I went down to watch practice and then I went to Ferentz's office. I talked with him for probably thirty minutes about our season and their season. We talked about how they were similar. Then he extended the offer. I was speechless at first because I was so happy and didn't know what to say. I accepted it right away when I could finally talk. They said that the determining factor was when Coach Morgan watched me play during their bye week and that they were ready to offered me right after that. They wanted to wait until after the season to stay focused on what we had going on during my season. They decided to wait until after. They knew after that they were ready to offer me.

Q: How do you feel you play in that game against Waterloo West?
BEYER: I didn’t have a crazy good game but I had a good game. It was pouring rain with a muddy field and everything. I had a good game and the team had a good game.

Q: How was the reaction from the North Dakota State coaches when you talked to them about your decision?
BEYER: They were disappointed because they were losing me but they also understood. From the very beginning, Coach Klieman said if I were to commit to them and Iowa were to offer, they would understand and support the decision. That was a big reason why I committed then.

Q: Do you think the Nebraska offer changed the timetable of your recruiting with Iowa?
BEYER: I think it would have stayed the same because of the letters they were sending me and the way Coach Morgan was talking. He said all along that they had ad plan for me and he was always in my corner. I kind of trusted of him it would come sooner or later but I wasn’t counting on anything. I am definitely extremely happy they offered and it didn't matter when they did because I was accepting it.

Q: How has it been knowing you'll be living your dream?
BEYER: I couldn’t be happier. I am just so excited that I'll be playing for a college that I've always wanted to play my whole life. I have had so much support from my family, classmates and people I don't know congratulating my on being a part of the family. Everything just came together and I couldn’t be happier. It is awesome.

Q: Do you have a preference position wise on where you'll start in college?
BEYER: I really like playing tight end. I think that is what I'd be best at but I've talked with Ferentz about it. He said that they will probably start me wherever they want me to start whether that is offense or defense. We will probably make a decision as an athlete and they'll decide latter wherever they want to put me. I'll play anything for them, I don't care.

Q: Did your weight play a factor in getting the major Division I offers later in the process?
BEYER: I think that did a little bit right off the bat. What Coach White has said about my weight is that I am a 6-8 higher jumper. You can't be 230 pounds and still jump 6-8. It doesn't work out like that and the coaches understood that. I don't think I'll have a problem putting the weight on once I get down there, especially with Coach Doyle and their program. They won't have one problem putting weight on me.

Q: What are your plans to get ready for the college level?
BEYER: I'll definitely be in the weight room getting stronger. I want to put on a little bit of weight but not a ton because I still want to contend for a state title in high jump and hurdles. I might go out for basketball but I don't know yet. Coach has been after me and I am meeting with him Monday to talk about it. That is where I am at. I might have fun playing basketball but I'll still focus on the weight room to get bigger, faster, and stronger.

Reactions: tbebell
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News