ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Rapids Kernels will remain in affiliated professional baseball

They got promoted. Was that expected? They'll get to see some better ballplayers now early.
Major restructuring this offseason after the Pandemic year. Midwest League became Advanced A, while the South Atlantic League had a number of additions and subtractions and ultimately became Low A. Based mostly attendance, I believe.

Being from CR, this is great and hopefully (with the traditionally strong Twins system) we can win some titles. But it’s not going to be the same without Clinton and Burlington. Luckily I hit up the Lumberkings in their second to last season of affiliated A ball, when CR was there on a Friday night. Great baseball park.

Reactions: dirtypool
eddc9940adda3a11cf372a7932017322.gif

Are River Bandits a type of raccoon? I assumed it meant something like hillbilly Mississippi River barge pirates

Being from CR, this is great and hopefully (with the traditionally strong Twins system) we can win some titles. But it’s not going to be the same without Clinton and Burlington. Luckily I hit up the Lumberkings in their second to last season of affiliated A ball, when CR was there on a Friday night. Great baseball park.

i agree. It just wouldn’t be the same without the mlb affiliation in my opinion. I love milb more than mlb. I missed going to games last summer when i just needed to be alone, take in a game by myself and have a couple beers and enjoy a summer evening. Its too bad for burlington and clinton though.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
The St Paul Saints (9 miles from Target Field) are now the Twins' AAA affiliate. I think that's pretty cool.

St Paul's CHS Field, which opened in 2015, is awesome, too

AAD-Recap-10.jpg
CHS field is a great ballpark. I do wonder how they do attendance wise being so close to the big club. They're going to now have to charge AAA prices not indy league prices. Do hope they keep the ushertainers around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
CHS field is a great ballpark. I do wonder how they do attendance wise being so close to the big club. There going to now have to charge AAA prices not indy league prices. Do hope they keep the ushertainers around.

From the Saints website:

All the entertainment you know and love about the Saints will once again return (ushertainers, the pig, master of ceremonies on the mic, etc.). None of this is going away. As a matter of fact, we'll look to add to the entertainment side, so that we're even more outrageous that usual. Fear not WE WILL NOT CHANGE.

Just like we promised nothing will change with the fun of attending a Saints game , we can also promise that the Saints will continue to be affordable entertainment in town. Affordable tickets are as much a part of who we are as the mascot pig.

Here's a little attendance comparison:

In 2019, the Iowa Cubs (AAA) drew:
489,173 total
65 games
7,526 Average

In 2019, the St Paul Saints drew:
394,970 total
50 games
7,899 Average

They were over the 7,210 capacity in 40 of the 50 home games, drew more than 8,000 fans 24 times, and more than 9,000 eight times.

The Saints set a franchise record with 10,631 on August 13 and for the first time in franchise history had 10,000+ in back-to-back games on August 13 and the 14th, when they drew 10,029.

Last edited:
CHS field is a great ballpark. I do wonder how they do attendance wise being so close to the big club. They're going to now have to charge AAA prices not indy league prices. Do hope they keep the ushertainers around.

i dont know what ticket/consession prices are but i think I would go to the minor league option more often personally..:would be worth it to avoid the traffic congestion that is usually involved with major league sporting events after it is over

It is really the Davenport River Bandits. However, for
business purposes the ownership wants fans to come
from Bettendorf, Rock Island, and Moline The Quad
Cities is intertwined and only separated by the mighty
Mississippi River..

Are River Bandits a type of raccoon? I assumed it meant something like hillbilly Mississippi River barge pirates
They’re a racoon now to sell merchandise. But your original thought was correct. And back when Midwest League logos were cool, there was this gem...
quad_city_river_bandits_2_84792.jpg

And the old Cedar Rapids logo was better too...
cedar-rapids-kernels-2-logo-png-transparent.png

They better still have Thirsty Thursday! I am glad to hear they're here to stay in CR. I always enjoy catching a Kernels game and now the talent will be better. Buxton was the last real good one to come through.
I was standing on the edge of party deck when this happened. Kernels down three in the bottom of the 9th...

They’re a racoon now to sell merchandise. But your original thought was correct. And back when Midwest League logos were cool, there was this gem...
quad_city_river_bandits_2_84792.jpg

And the old Cedar Rapids logo was better too...
cedar-rapids-kernels-2-logo-png-transparent.png

I was standing on the edge of party deck when this happened. Kernels down three in the bottom of the 9th...

I've been pretty much a lifelong Cardinals fan. I'm going to start following the Twins much more now and will obviously cheer them on as the guys go through the system.

I've been pretty much a lifelong Cardinals fan. I'm going to start following the Twins much more now and will obviously cheer them on as the guys go through the system.
Yeah, Catch-22 for me as a White Sox fan. I hope that they always finish in the Wild Card spot behind us. ;)

Reactions: fredjr82
They better still have Thirsty Thursday! I am glad to hear they're here to stay in CR. I always enjoy catching a Kernels game and now the talent will be better. Buxton was the last real good one to come through.

Max Kepler was on the same 2013 CR Kernels team with Buxton. So was Twins starters Jose Berrios.

Mitch Garver was on the 2014 CR team and Joe Mauer did a 4 game rehab in CR that year too.

Buxton had a 1 game rehab in 2019.

Reactions: fredjr82
The St Paul Saints (9 miles from Target Field) are now the Twins' AAA affiliate. I think that's pretty cool.

St Paul's CHS Field, which opened in 2015, is awesome, too

AAD-Recap-10.jpg
I think it’s lame when MLB teams put AAA teams in major metros that already have a big league team. Spread the wealth ya selfish pricks!

i dont know what ticket/consession prices are but i think I would go to the minor league option more often personally..:would be worth it to avoid the traffic congestion that is usually involved with major league sporting events after it is over
Minor league baseball affiliates are usually good at group rates, and stuff for kids, but you are not getting much of a concessions break. The owners have figured out that people are going to pay full price for beer and expanded menu items. I go to a few. I-Cubs games every year, and their concession prices are usually only 1-2 dollars off Wrigley prices.

If the Cedar Rapids team really wants to be an ‘Iowa’ team, play a couple of series in Clinton and Burlington.

I think it’s lame when MLB teams put AAA teams in major metros that already have a big league team. Spread the wealth ya selfish pricks!
I understand. But the Saints are extremely popular; that's why they built that new stadium in downtown St Paul.

And if you are going to have baseball at that beautiful ball park, it might as well be an MLB affiliate (instead of independent).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT