ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Rapids PD Confirm Elected Officials Misrepresented Events at Abortion Rally

Not necessarily, and UNTIL they clear the crosswalks, they still have ROW.

So as long as I step one step into a cross walk before it turns red, i can stay there, indefinitely doing cartwheels, then 48 hours later, I can run up to lets say, a truck passing me, assault the driver, fall down, then claim to be a victim! Awesome!

There were reports of cars waiting for three green / red light changes before this incident took place.

The protestors must have believed they were entitled to obstruct traffic at their convenience. Of course they have no such right to do so. But they think they do. Why?

Some of them appear to have taken it upon themselves to play traffic cop and jump in front of and stay in front of a moving truck while the truck had the green light. Not smart.
To be fair, people in general have an annoying tendency to walk where they want regardless of traffic, expecting the cars will move for them. Not really specific to protestors.

no idea what truly happened here, where this driver was trying to edge his way thru a crowd that was barely paying attention to traffic as they crossed streets, if people legit jumped in front of the truck, etc. likely a lot of stupid involved overall.

What if it is proved that the protestors were crossing legally?
I’m not sure how that would matter in the U turn laws. With a left arrow pedestrians wouldn’t be in the crosswalk. Were the pedestrians following the walk/ don’t walk lights? If so they wouldn’t have been blocking traffic right?

I’m not sure how that would matter in the U turn laws. With a left arrow pedestrians wouldn’t be in the crosswalk. Were the pedestrians following the walk/ don’t walk lights? If so they wouldn’t have been blocking traffic right?
The articles I have read said that they were following the crosswalk rules. Have you seen otherwise?

How do you turn if the intersection is blocked at the crosswalk? U turn? I dunno, wasn't there. He attempted to go and, again, we don't know how much care he did or didn't exercise.
I wasn't there but being familiar with the area and watching the video it looks like they were in the crosswalk on the west side of the intersection and he was heading west. That means he could have made a left go over to 12th Ave Bridge and cross there. It was a definite dick move. Seeing the line of cars both ways it is possible they had it blocked for more than 1 cycle of lights as well.

So as long as I step one step into a cross walk before it turns red, i can stay there, indefinitely doing cartwheels,

Huh?

If you're IN the crosswalk WHILE it is Red for the cars, and it turns GREEN while you are in the crosswalk, the cars MUST YIELD TO YOU.

That is the LAW. Now, if you stand there for 48 hrs, they'll probably arrest you and have you checked for psychological problems.

But in the incident here, I'm unaware of anyone arrested for "jaywalking".
Should they have cleared out? Yep.
Should police have had personnel there to help direct pedestrians AND traffic? Yep.

I wasn't there but being familiar with the area and watching the video it looks like they were in the crosswalk on the west side of the intersection and he was heading west. That means he could have made a left go over to 12th Ave Bridge and cross there. It was a definite dick move. Seeing the line of cars both ways it is possible they had it blocked for more than 1 cycle of lights as well.
Okay, for whatever reason I was thinking they were, per your directions, crossing on the east side directly in front of him.

Well, if that's true it seems a little more reckless on his part. Hence, I'm still reserving judgement. Thanks for the perspective.

Huh?

If you're IN the crosswalk WHILE it is Red for the cars, and it turns GREEN while you are in the crosswalk, the cars MUST YIELD TO YOU.

That is the LAW. Now, if you stand there for 48 hrs, they'll probably arrest you and have you checked for psychological problems.

But in the incident here, I'm unaware of anyone arrested for "jaywalking".
Should they have cleared out? Yep.
Should police have had personnel there to help direct pedestrians AND traffic? Yep.
Maybe like you do, he was texting about covid and failed to see the women jumping in front of his vehicle. Maybe...

• Haha
Reactions: CaboKP
Perhaps prescient review referring to the Pres of that Pipe company the truck was registered to from 2 yrs ago:

Absolutely poor quality and professionalism, actually complete lack of professionalism. The President **** ******* sends emails in all Capitals to insinuate that he is yelling at you, attempts to belittle others with his choice of words and truly enjoys being a complete bully. When **** ****** does not get something that goes his way, he will lash out and act like a complete immature child.

I do not recommend this business for any of your needs, if you value your peace of mind, stay very very very far away from this spiteful president and his company.

Why was the driver tired of waiting? You have the answer tell us.
Maybe the cars in front of him were cheering the protesters on, and wanted to wait.
I don't know.

But he had to drive AROUND several cars just to run into the demonstrators/pedestrians.

I don't. i have read from multiple sources that the protestors were legally crossing the street. If that is true that is all that should matter.
And they may well have been illegally crossing, too.

But that's not what the statement from the police provides to this point. It says/claims they were legal pedestrians.

Reactions: globalhawk
ADVERTISEMENT