ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Rapids stabbing

Chuck C

HR Legend
Mar 6, 2011
People have been protesting outside of the Cedar Rapids police station the past couple of days demanding justice for the stabbing death of Devonna Wallker, demanding the man responsible be arrested. There is cell phone footage in the link.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — New cell phone video obtained by Iowa's News Now through friends & family, show the final moments of a Cedar Rapids woman's life.

Devonna Walker was stabbed to death on January 2 during an argument with a neighbor.

Walker was stabbed to death that night and leaves behind three children.
The video starts out across the street from the Cambridge Townhomes 2100 block of North Town Court NE. Walker and a woman in a black sweatshirt holding a dog's leash are arguing about a previous alleged attack.
"So you come back after me again? I'm gonna press charges again," the woman in the black sweatshirt says.
"Please just get inside," a man in the doorway said.
Walker's response isn't audible on the video but the man yells out in return: "Then go around! Nobody wants you around here!"
For ninety seconds the argument gets more heated and more personal until the man shouts a racial slur at Walker: "Shut the f*** up, you f****** n*****!"
As the woman in the black sweatshirt walks back to the home, Walker charges at her pushing the woman down.
The man appears to stab Walker. She stumbles away and collapses in the grass.
Police arrive six and half minutes later and CPR is administered a total of eight minutes after she falls.
CRPD detained the woman and man but later released them. No charges have been filed.
On Sunday, Walker's mother spoke to Iowa's News Now about frustrations she had with the lack of communications from investigators.
Wednesday Cedar Rapids Police Chief Wayne Jerman and Linn County Attorney Nick Maybanks released a joint statement saying it can be common for cases like this to take several weeks or even months and that they both are investigating.
Advocates for Social Justice are demanding answers in the case. They want the medical examiner's report released and to arrest the people responsible for Walker's death.

I thought it would be cut and dry with some of the responses here. Watched the video and it’s not cut and dry. (No pun intended).
That’s what I thought. Apparently the deceased just had charges pressed against her for assaulting the wife and daughter previously. The wife turns her back and the deceased attacks her and knocks her into the doorway of the apartment. Iowa is a stand your ground state. The highest charge I see them attempting is Manslaughter. I think they’ll have a hard time making a murder charge stick.

Yeah, the victim charged and attacked the guys wife as she was retreating into her home in the doorway. Could see how one could argue self defense or manslaughter vs more serious charges

I thought it would be cut and dry with some of the responses here. Watched the video and it’s not cut and dry. (No pun intended).
Same. Watched the video and the dead person is the one who started the physical altercation. I’d be surprised if any charges are brought. You can’t just go full on attack mode then whine when you get stabbed for being an idiot.

BfHDWpSNNdi1DABi.jpg

There will be some retribution if charges aren't filed. Tough spot for the cops/attorney.

Clearly the victim was the aggressor.

There will be some retribution if charges aren't filed. Tough spot for the cops/attorney.

Clearly the victim was the aggressor.
If he had just said, “bye, Felicia,” this misunderstanding could have been avoided.

Reactions: IACub
Now there was a fire early this AM at the same building as the homicide.

Firefighters extinguish fire at Cambridge Townhomes in Cedar Rapids​

By KCRG Staff
Published: Jan. 13, 2023 at 11:24 AM CST|Updated: 1 hour ago

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - Cedar Rapids firefighters responded to an apartment fire on the city’s northeast side early Friday morning.
Firefighters said they were called to the Cambridge Townhomes, in the 2100 block of North Towne Court Northeast, just before 2 a.m.
The fire happened at the same building where the homicide of a Devonna Walker happened last week. Officials have not said whether the two incidents are related.
Crews said they quickly controlled the flames at a single apartment and were able to prevent the fire from spreading to other units in the building.

There were no injuries reported.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Copyright 2023 KCRG. All rights reserved.

Reactions: Moral
Wait, people are mad that a person who attempted a second assault on a person whose back was turned got killed in the melee she started?

I don't get it.
Well, there’s a racial aspect here, so therefore…anger.

Now there was a fire early this AM at the same building as the homicide.

Firefighters extinguish fire at Cambridge Townhomes in Cedar Rapids​

By KCRG Staff
Published: Jan. 13, 2023 at 11:24 AM CST|Updated: 1 hour ago

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - Cedar Rapids firefighters responded to an apartment fire on the city’s northeast side early Friday morning.
Firefighters said they were called to the Cambridge Townhomes, in the 2100 block of North Towne Court Northeast, just before 2 a.m.
The fire happened at the same building where the homicide of a Devonna Walker happened last week. Officials have not said whether the two incidents are related.
Crews said they quickly controlled the flames at a single apartment and were able to prevent the fire from spreading to other units in the building.

There were no injuries reported.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Copyright 2023 KCRG. All rights reserved.
People online are saying it was their apartment that was started on fire.

• Wow
Reactions: Fan In Black
Well, there’s a racial aspect here, so therefore…anger.
I mean, it's a terrible, terrible look for the guy to scream the N word out in the middle of the fight --- no doubt about it.

That said, the deceased was very clearly the aggressor, apparently had already assaulted the sweatshirt lady previously, attacked her AGAIN from behind, and appeared to be attempting to gain entry into the home while throwing punches when she got stabbed.

Hard to think of what charges you could even apply there, as it definitely fits both self-defense and castle doctrine IMO.

Wait, people are mad that a person who attempted a second assault on a person whose back was turned got killed in the melee she started?

I don't get it.
Careful bro, that sounds awfully republican of you.

Keep it simple: a white man killed a black woman while calling her the N word.

Can someone explain in layman’s terms what voluntary manslaughter is in Iowa? I remember watching the video and no thinking any charges would be coming since the lady who got the dead started the physical altercation.

Voluntary manslaughter occurs when all of the elements of murder are present (including the mental fault element) but the culpability of the offender's conduct is reduced due to the circumstances of the crime.

What is an example of voluntary manslaughter?

Killers who act in the heat of passion may kill intentionally, but the emotional context is a mitigating factor that reduces their moral blameworthiness. The classic example of voluntary manslaughter involves a husband who comes home unexpectedly to find his wife committing adultery.

This seems like the DA is trying to appease members of the dead gals family and friends while charging for a crime that, if convicted, will be minimal prison time.

I'm seeing a very big challenge getting a conviction, tho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT