ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Rapids woman arrested on charges of dependent adult abuse

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001

A Cedar Rapids woman was arrested Tuesday on charges she abused a dependent adult woman who was in her care by punching her in the face, not following her medically ordered diet and making her squat against a wall for extended periods of time as a punishment.

Kimberly Sue Jibben, 42, is charged with dependent adult abuse (felony), dependent adult abuse (serious misdemeanor), and identity theft. She had her first appearance Wednesday and is being held in the Linn County Jail on a $10,000 cash or surety bond.

Jibben had the dependent woman in her care between Jan. 1, 2020, and March 11, 2022, according to a criminal complaint. During that time, the woman lost about 130 pounds.

Advertisment

The food cabinets at the residence where Jibben cared for the woman were locked, and police believe Jibben was not following the woman’s prescribed diet. Sometimes, as punishment, the woman was only given bread and water for meals, the complaint states.

Jibben would also punish the woman by making her sit in a squatting position against the wall for extensive periods of time.

The woman told police Jibben had punched her in the face on March 9, 2022. She had injuries consistent with being struck — a displaced nasal fracture and non-displaced fracture of her nasal septum.

Jibben also reportedly used the dependent woman’s name and information to obtain internet and cable services for an undetermined amount less than $1,500.

I almost posted this a day ago. Just horrible. The legislature had the chance to put some teeth into a comprehensive law this session, but they half assed it. The problem is under reported, and seems to be growing. Iowa has a lot of vulnerable elderly who cannot protect themselves.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I have rolled this out before. In my 30+ years of EMS, I have reported exactly one case of child abuse. Probably a dozen cases of dependent adult abuse. I argue that depend adult abuse happens much much more often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT