ADVERTISEMENT

Cejudo.. coming to IC to help train Lee

Spicolli

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
Pretty interesting, Cejudo says he's not returning to wrestling as a participant, but is planning on coming to IC to help Terry train Lee.. cool.

Per Intermat - linky

...Cejudo reached the pinnacle of wrestling at the age of 21 while training under two-time world champion Terry Brands. He hopes to return to Iowa City to visit Brands and train with Olympic hopeful Spencer Lee. He believes Lee is special.

"He's a special human being because of what he's done in wrestling, but he's also special to me because of who is teaching him. It's almost like we become part of that same lineage."

tenor.gif

:D

Pretty interesting, Cejudo says he's not returning to wrestling as a participant, but is planning on coming to IC to help Terry train Lee.. cool.

Per Intermat - linky

...Cejudo reached the pinnacle of wrestling at the age of 21 while training under two-time world champion Terry Brands. He hopes to return to Iowa City to visit Brands and train with Olympic hopeful Spencer Lee. He believes Lee is special.

"He's a special human being because of what he's done in wrestling, but he's also special to me because of who is teaching him. It's almost like we become part of that same lineage."
That is respect for Terry Brands - very cool!

Reactions: Grip220
There's almost a zero-percent chance he can make 57kg two days in a row. He almost died making 125lbs on day before weigh-ins for the UFC a couple years back and so this leads me believe he's retired and genuinely curious to see how his skills stack up on the mat still.

I could see him coaching because it's really hard to turn off that level of competitive drive. This is sweet either way. Can you imagine Spencer picking up on some of Cejudo's timing and low ankle attacks.... MERCY!

My other thought is that T&T are thinking outside the box with HWC. Is there a chance they are testing the waters of a hybrid between a traditional RTC and MMA training center? Could Cejudo recruit MMA guys to join HWC and train in IC? There could be some massive financial benefits of this if done correctly. Could be innovative if done right.

Reactions: Gobblin
There's almost a zero-percent chance he can make 57kg two days in a row. He almost died making 125lbs on day before weigh-ins for the UFC a couple years back and so this leads me believe he's retired and genuinely curious to see how his skills stack up on the mat still.

I could see him coaching because it's really hard to turn off that level of competitive drive. This is sweet either way. Can you imagine Spencer picking up on some of Cejudo's timing and low ankle attacks.... MERCY!

My other thought is that T&T are thinking outside the box with HWC. Is there a chance they are testing the waters of a hybrid between a traditional RTC and MMA training center? Could Cejudo recruit MMA guys to join HWC and train in IC? There could be some massive financial benefits of this if done correctly. Could be innovative if done right.
Read a article during the season that said Bo Nickal was joining with American Top Team and opening a MMA in State College.

classy of Ramos but what can he really do that the younger guys can't. He hasn't wrestled freestyle in a decade.
Now if he's going to teach him how to dirty it up against the cage and work his counter punching game then ok lol. It's funny cause these two couldn't be more different lol.

classy of Ramos but what can he really do that the younger guys can't. He hasn't wrestled freestyle in a decade.
Now if he's going to teach him how to dirty it up against the cage and work his counter punching game then ok lol. It's funny cause these two couldn't be more different lol.

Well Ramos did wrestle Ramos in freestyle in 2016....ahem.

He is a world class athlete who has been there, done that and has the gold medal to prove it. Rumors were that he handled Fix in the room.

Ramos? I guess you think we should be upset Cejudo wants to work with Lee. Weird take.

There's little downside to having Cejudo around especially if the word about him beating up on Fix is true.

Reactions: pumpdog20
Yes, I read that too. I see a lot of value cross-pollinating with MMA. Chiefly, money and exposure!
I’m not sure if that value has really played out. This idea has been around for years and years since the UFC got big and wrestlers took over, but has there really been some kind of big increase in national media coverage or money in wrestling that can be traced to fighting? Maybe so, but it doesn’t jump out to me.

I’m not sure if that value has really played out. This idea has been around for years and years since the UFC got big and wrestlers took over, but has there really been some kind of big increase in national media coverage or money in wrestling that can be traced to fighting? Maybe so, but it doesn’t jump out to me.

Not directly, but what I'm proposing is that MMA fighters train full-time at HWC. I don't think that is currently the case at any other RTCs.

I know it's a stretch but weirder things have happened and TNT are always looking for an edge.

How would they train full time at Iowa? We would need a cage and coaches that specialize in boxing, ju jitsu, etc. I don't see Iowa or any other major rtc providing resources for that (they could still come in and train in grappling)

Reactions: DirkTang1
Not directly, but what I'm proposing is that MMA fighters train full-time at HWC. I don't think that is currently the case at any other RTCs.

I know it's a stretch but weirder things have happened and TNT are always looking for an edge.
That’s an interesting idea. I guess my main point is that I don’t think MMA has been near as beneficial for wrestling as people thought it would be 5-10 years ago. I think MMA might even be more of a net negative for wrestling when you think about the talent drain.

Reactions: Lsanders20 and aije

You’re definitely on to something here...

Why can’t this just be Cejudo paying it forward! He is a huge fan of TnT and thinks the world of spencer, he has a ton of experience to offer and maybe he wants to see SL win Gold.
He also may want to get into coaching and sees value in being part of the HWC, even for the time being there are large benefits on both sides in my eyes. Welcome Henry and I hope you become part of the HWC at some capacity.

Get in Cejudo's ear about joining/wrestling for the HAWKS!

Last edited:
He couldn’t make the lineup even if he was eligible.

As far as I know he is eligible? Couldn't make the line up?? REALLY?

I understand it is most likely a pipe dream. That being said, what do you have to lose by trying, and that goes for the Hawks and him!

As far as I know he is eligible? Couldn't make the line up?? REALLY?

I understand it is most likely a pipe dream. That being said, what do you have to lose by trying, and that goes for the Hawks and him!
He’s been a paid professional athlete. No longer an amateur, not eligible. He also hasn’t wrestled in 9 years minus 1 match with Tony which he lost.

He’s been a paid professional athlete. No longer an amateur, not eligible. He also hasn’t wrestled in 9 years minus 1 match with Tony which he lost.
If memory serves it was a pretty close match, while Tony was training wrestling full time and Cejudo was not.

Reactions: Grip220
He can get paid as a pro in another sport hence why minor league baseball players that flame out become college FB players
he was probably paid in the Ramos match for wrestling. And there is an eligibility clock that starts when you are done with high school.

The eligibility clock starts once you begin your college career - not after leaving high school. It's why you occasionally see former military playing college sports in their late 20's.

Wrong. And right. Your Division 1 clock starts when you enroll full time OR one year after you graduate.

There are only 2 exceptions to a running clock for Division 1 athletics. Two year mormon mission and military.

It must be different for other divisions? Cause didn’t upper Iowa or some school have an assistant coach decide to wrestle a few years back while he was in his 30’s?

It must be different for other divisions? Cause didn’t upper Iowa or some school have an assistant coach decide to wrestle a few years back while he was in his 30’s?

NAIA doesn’t have that rule and that was before they moved up to D2 I think.

Reactions: tiltman
yes upper iowa.. Justin Decker, started his career at iowa, then had like 1 year or semester left and finished at upper iowa after being a coach there for some time. Not sure how all that works in D2 if its strictly just number of semesters unlike D1 where the clocks starts as you enroll or 1 year after HS.

Yes, it is different in other divisions.

he was probably paid in the Ramos match for wrestling. And there is an eligibility clock that starts when you are done with high school.

But he attempted a kimura on Ramos, thus it became a MMA match. :)

but yeah, eligibility clock.

Wrong. And right. Your Division 1 clock starts when you enroll full time OR one year after you graduate.

There are only 2 exceptions to a running clock for Division 1 athletics. Two year mormon mission and military.
I'm not wrong - look it up. It starts once you enroll in college.

Where does your $100 go in a freestyle match up between Spencer and Cejudo? Here's a betting line published by Crossface.lv:

Lee -5 (-115)
Cejudo +5 (+115)

Where does your $100 go in a freestyle match up between Spencer and Cejudo? Here's a betting line published by Crossface.lv:

Lee -5 (-115)
Cejudo +5 (+115)
The odds would have to be higher to take Cejudo. Not enough meat on the bone to take it. Would think about it if it was closer to +150.

With the line you presented, I would wager on Lee

Can’t imagine anyone taking Cejudo with that line.

Been a long time for Henry. As great as he was its Spencer all day. I'd actually think a healthy Clark would be a toss up for him. Cory was looking really good in down in Ft Worth before that injury vs Nashon.

Reactions: el dub

“All about when you enroll full time. Once you enroll at a JC or 4-year full time, your clock triggers. If you enroll full time for the first time at 30 years old, that's when your clock starts. Doesn't matter how far out from graduation you are.“

Word for word from our compliance office-D1 school.

ADVERTISEMENT