ADVERTISEMENT

Celebrating the big 80

postville56

Team MVP
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2012
Thursday I will be celebration birthday number 80. Many things have given me joy during those years but nothing more than following Iowa Hawkeye sports. I went to Madison to see my first Iowa basketball game in 1946 and was able to see Mr. Weir one of my two childhood heroes play. Seeing the second one Ted Williams play the following year. So being able to watch the Hawks play a highly ranked team in MSG on by birthday is all I could ask for. Win or lose it will make for a great night. Also having been fortunate to spent seven years as a student at Iowa I just wanted to post and thank Iowa University for a life of memories. Remembering Hillcrest and the Highlanders practicing outside and many other unforgettable memories. Thank You Iowa and good luck tomorrow.

Thursday I will be celebration birthday number 80. Many things have given me joy during those years but nothing more than following Iowa Hawkeye sports. I went to Madison to see my first Iowa basketball game in 1946 and was able to see Mr. Weir one of my two childhood heroes play. Seeing the second one Ted Williams play the following year. So being able to watch the Hawks play a highly ranked team in MSG on by birthday is all I could ask for. Win or lose it will make for a great night. Also having been fortunate to spent seven years as a student at Iowa I just wanted to post and thank Iowa University for a life of memories. Remembering Hillcrest and the Highlanders practicing outside and many other unforgettable memories. Thank You Iowa and good luck tomorrow.
What a great post. Perspective is a great thing. Go Hawks!

Reactions: ZumaHawk
For a moment there I thought you meant the 80s music, lol... Happy birthday fellow Scorpio! Here's to you for another decade or so of watching IA BB!! Good luck to the BB team too.

Congrats!

Enjoy. Am right behind you. Saw Ted play for sure. Rapid Robert from Van Meter must have seen him on Tv. But memory like BEER goes rapidly. Remember Evy's teams for sure.Enjoy grandkids ect and I have g-grandson on way. Best to you and Win Sat will be nice day for us old ones!

Reactions: doughawk
.... Also having been fortunate to spent seven years as a student at Iowa ....

e658e6bc-018d-4d31-9c1f-593c25b994eb_text_hi.gif

J/K.....Happy Birthday!

Congrats! I spent two years in Hillcrest myself. A far cry from the new dorms in almost every respect. Anyway, following the Hawkeyes has seldom been easy but has usually been interesting. May you see more Hawkeye success soon. Happy 80th!

Congrats on your 80th birthday and may the Hawkeyes
continue to bring happiness into your life. You are old
enough to remember Evy and Bucky O'Connor. Two of
the great coaches in Iowa history.

Happy birthday! I am a little behind you, but was lucky enough to live in stadium park for four years and went to most of the practices. I knew the stadium from top to bottom. The teams treated me well as I was kind of a mascot chasing balls etc. I did three years in Hillcrest, two as an advisor. By the way, I saw Mickey Mantle hit a HR and the highest pop fly I have ever seen. Also got to go to Wrigley at least once a year.

Happy birthday!!!!

It’s amazing how those childhood memories stick with us. I remember seeing the 61 Yankees in the Twin Cities on Bill “Moose” Skowron day. As a 12 year old I was shocked to see Mickey and Whitey grabbing a smoke in the tunnel when the Yankees were batting.

The late 50’s and early 60’s were such a great time to be a kid. It hurts to see the world our kids live in today. Thanks to all those who still strive to make childhood wonderful regardless if they are coaches, teachers, religious leaders, parents or grandparents. In the end great examples of love shown to kids is the best hope for our world. An old guys best advice, make a positive difference in a kids life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT