ADVERTISEMENT

Census Bureau New Results for States Gaining & Losing Population

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003
Census Bureau

Texas and Florida make up about 15% of the U.S. population but accounted for 70% of its population growth this past year. That’s one of the revealing facts in the Census Bureau’s annual assessment of U.S. migration released last week. The biggest news is that the exodus from progressive-led states hasn’t slowed even as Covid lockdowns eased.

California (343,230), New York (299,557) and Illinois (141,656) lost the most residents to other states, but New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Oregon, Massachusetts, Minnesota and Louisiana were also big losers. Where are all these folks moving?

Mostly to states with lower taxes, more affordable housing and a higher standard of living. Florida drew the most newcomers (318,855), followed by Texas (230,961), North Carolina (99,796), South Carolina (84,030), Tennessee (81,646), Georgia (81,406) and Arizona (70,984). More people moved to West Virginia than left for the first time in a decade.

Surprised people are leaving Minnesota.

That’s about what I consider the perfect state. A major metro area with arts, sports, ect.

Great outdoor activities of all kinds.

Duluth area is a hidden gem for vacations in United States.

They aren't, Minnesota got bigger from 2010 to 2020.

Edit: adding link to which states got bigger/smaller. Link

Probably because it isn’t true.

Both states grew. CA grew by more people than any state other than TX. Those are both true statements.

Now, if I said CA grew at a faster rate or by a higher % than any state other than TX, that would be false.

FTR, the only states whose populations shrunk between 2010 and 2020 were IL, WV and MS. Every other state got bigger.

Both states grew. CA grew by more people than any state other than TX. Those are both true statements.

Now, if I said CA grew at a faster rate or by a higher % than any state other than TX, that would be false.

FTR, the only states whose populations shrunk between 2010 and 2020 were IL, WV and MS. Every other state got bigger.
Link

“California appears to be on the verge of a new demographic era, one in which population declines characterize the state,” PPIC demographer Hans Johnson writes in a new analysis. “Lower levels of international migration, declining birth rates, and increases in deaths all play a role. But the primary driver of the state’s population loss over the past couple years has been the result of California residents moving to other states.”

Since 2010, Johnson continued, “about 7.5 million people moved from California to other states, while only 5.8 million people moved to California from other parts of the country. According to Department of Finance estimates, the state has lost residents to other states every year since 2001.”

Why do they not note that CA and NY grew in population? Or that CA's population grew more than any state other than Texas (by number, not %).
Because they’re talking data from July 21 to July 22.

You’re using census 2010-2020 data in your responses

Reactions: EasyHawk
Because they’re talking data from July 21 to July 22.

You’re using census 2010-2020 data in your responses

So, because the actual Census doesn't support their view, they're using a small sample size that does?

That's like saying X hitter sucks because his last 100 PAs he had a .320 OBP, when the last 2 years show him with a .410.

So, because the actual Census doesn't support their view, they're using a small sample size that does?

That's like saying X hitter sucks because his last 100 PAs he had a .320 OBP, when the last 2 years show him with a .410.
Maybe because between 2020-2022 a lot of folks figured out they could telework (Covid) and a lot of people said **** it and moved.

Saw a lot of “teleworkers” move down here the last couple years

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole

Great. However, this article is discussing from 2020 until now, making your claim the states grew factually incorrect.

Why do you care if California grew or lost population? Who cares? as far as I am concerned, I hope half the state flees so the property values will finally get to a place where I can afford to buy a home there. Won't happen, but here is too hoping.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious

Didn't California lose House Seats leading up to this last election? I could be way off, but thought I heard that.

That’s about what I consider the perfect state. A major metro area with arts, sports, ect.

Weather.

Just reading the opinions on the issue here on HROT makes it obvious to me that many, many Americans are absolutely gigantic pussies when it comes to cold weather. Personally, I don't get it. I find comfort in the changing of seasons and love the fact they are pretty radical changes here in the Upper Midwest. I'd never want my permanent address to be further South than, say, Tennessee and even that wouldn't be my preference.

Clearly I am in the minority of Americans in this though.

Weather.

Just reading the opinions on the issue here on HROT makes it obvious to me that many, many Americans are absolutely gigantic pussies when it comes to cold weather. Personally, I don't get it. I find comfort in the changing of seasons and love the fact they are pretty radical changes here in the Upper Midwest. I'd never want my permanent address to be further South than, say, Tennessee and even that wouldn't be my preference.

Clearly I am in the minority of Americans in this though.

It's 49 degrees out...way to cold.

I grew up in northern Iowa, southern Minnesota, used to go for 10 mile runs in shorts and tshirt in January. I have turned into a wuss and am ok with it. I am much more comfortable at 110 than 49 these days.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
I hope our MAGAts continue to move out of state to Tx and Fl. Take Kevin McCarthy with you when you go!

I grew up in northern Iowa, southern Minnesota, used to go for 10 mile runs in shorts and tshirt in January. I have turned into a wuss and am ok with it. I am much more comfortable at 110 than 49 these days.
That is actually another reason I wouldn't want to ever move south. I am glad I can handle being outside doing stuff comfortably in temps ranging from about 15 to 95.

I have friends that have moved to Arizona and Florida and they are all gigantic little bitches now about tailgating, going to games, fishing, cycling, etc. if it's not between 65 and 85.

Sign of weakness and lack of character IMO :)

I think Vancouver is probably about the ideal spot but it's in another country and it's freakin expensive

49* is awesome, especially on a calm, sunny day. Perfect weather.

110 sucks. Intolerable. Oh, but it's a dry heat. Yeah, right.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
That is actually another reason I wouldn't want to ever move south. I am glad I can handle being outside doing stuff comfortably in temps ranging from about 15 to 95.

I have friends that have moved to Arizona and Florida and they are all gigantic little bitches now about tailgating, going to games, fishing, cycling, etc. if it's not between 65 and 85.

Sign of weakness and lack of character IMO :)

I am not skipping a game or tailgate due to weather. That beer ain't gonna drink itself.

• Love
Reactions: Jan Itor and torbee
Great. However, this article is discussing from 2020 until now, making your claim the states grew factually incorrect.

Why do you care if California grew or lost population? Who cares? as far as I am concerned, I hope half the state flees so the property values will finally get to a place where I can afford to buy a home there. Won't happen, but here is too hoping.
S o how do they base population figures based on 2 year intervals? Count the names in the phone book? Guess? What method is used universally?

I just moved from MN. You left out the crazy cold and you’re also getting a lot of the crime from the city moving out to the burbs.

S o how do they base population figures based on 2 year intervals? Count the names in the phone book? Guess? What method is used universally?
Honestly I’m not 100% sure because this includes citizens and most non citizens including the illegals. I think it only excludes diplomats and a few others.

Those Mongolians hunting foxes and deer with the golden eagles is fascinating. I like the one where it shows the massive birds hunting in the wild and they just pluck goats off of mountains and drop them to their deaths for an easy meal.
Yeah, but they only eat like 5% of the animal. Wasteful SOB’s!

Honestly I’m not 100% sure because this includes citizens and most non citizens including the illegals. I think it only excludes diplomats and a few others.
A regular census would include “illegals” in their count.. that’s how they gather those stats …that was the main point Trump gad against the census…and that is why census takers criticized “the count” as many residents refused to fill out the forms..out of fear of being deported

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT