ADVERTISEMENT

CEO of hospital group today

Hey Steve Edwards - that bag of saline and two Tylenol the hospital charged my wife and me just shy of $200 for when we had our last baby... what did those actually cost?

And don’t even get me started on the $45 we got charged so my wife could hold our new baby immediately after giving birth.

Hey Steve Edwards - that bag of saline and two Tylenol the hospital charged my wife and I just shy of $200 for when we had our last baby... what did those actually cost?

And don’t even get me started on the $45 we got charged so my wife could hold our new baby immediately after giving birth.
Great call out. Yes to that other end of the spectrum too! #Merica

This doesn't mean "capitalism bad," short term supply and demand imbalances can happen, although in this instance I'm with him, it's OK for government to step in here, because the circumstances warrant it.

Hey Steve Edwards - that bag of saline and two Tylenol the hospital charged my wife and me just shy of $200 for when we had our last baby... what did those actually cost?

FYI: Prices are not set according to costs.

The problem this CEO has is that his hospital cannot simply pass the increased costs on to his customers. That's why the supply and demand curves are out of whack.

The problem this CEO has is that his hospital cannot simply pass the increased costs on to his customers. That's why the supply and demand curves are out of whack.
The implementation of the Defense Production Act would have prevented/limited all of this we are seeing.

I just wish the people who have all the 20/20 hindsight were running the country.
All of these corona19 issues would be behind us by now. Except in NY, where they
Don’t know why the numbers go up then down. Flat today, spike tomorrow.

Reactions: royhobbs2
I just wish the people who have all the 20/20 hindsight were running the country.
All of these corona19 issues would be behind us by now. Except in NY, where they
Don’t know why the numbers go up then down. Flat today, spike tomorrow.
15 cases and it'll be down to 0 per Dear Leader end of February, gee I wonder why we are in a world of hurt right, I dunno..........

Reactions: iahawks10
I don't think PPE in the current context is run of the mill govt intervention

actually there are laws against gouging, just like fraudsters that get nailed after a hurricane
DEFENSE PRODUCTION ACT IMPLEMENTATION, should have been done, idle plants of GM/Ford and our Industrial might sitting there, could have been ramped up and pumping out PPE and ventilators/weeks/months ago coordinated by the Federal govt/1 system over this cluster **** we are still in now. States bidding against not only themselves but the Fed govt AND foreign countries. Just inexplicably ridiculous even for the Trump era.

The Defense Production Act should have been implemented weeks ago.

This presumes, against the experience of the 20th century, that bureaucratic direction of production is superior than market driven production at supplying demand.

Why do you expect prices to NOT reflect supply and demand?

Prices are information.
Profits are information.

Economies function best on real information, not bureaucratic whim.

We have 40 centuries of evidence of the failure of price controls to satisfy demand, but someone is always begging to learn these lessons the hard way.

This presumes, against the experience of the 20th century, that bureaucratic direction of production is superior than market driven production at supplying demand.

Why do you expect prices to NOT reflect supply and demand?

Prices are information.
Profits are information.

Economies function best on real information, not bureaucratic whim.

We have 40 centuries of evidence of the failure of price controls to satisfy demand, but someone is always begging to learn these lessons the hard way.
This is a temporary stop gap and coordination of essentials during the height of the pandemic as the current shit show of states bidding against each other AND the federal government AND foreign countries clearly is a failure.

At least he works for a non-profit health system. On the other hand, I've never seen a CEO save a life nor will he put himself in harms way to save covid patients but I've already filled out a survey to be reassigned to provide supportive medical care outside my license.

Reactions: dgordo and JWolf74
This is a temporary stop gap and coordination of essentials during the height of the pandemic as the current shit show of states bidding against each other AND the federal government AND foreign countries clearly is a failure.

As the projections keep getting lowered I think thinks will turn out much better than what you are implying.

As the projections keep getting lowered I think thinks will turn out much better than what you are implying.
It is bad now because utilizing the Act should have been done weeks ago, so I pray these numbers continue to hold as the current patchwork of dumb****ery will NOT be able to handle a massive uptick.

Reactions: wilson reborn

They're not just bidding against 'each other', they're bidding for capital resources against every other thing that could be produced.
Prices are exactly what coordinate capital resources toward producing what people want the most. Everbody who jumps in to reap some of the profits the change in demand have created is helping solve the problem of insufficient supply.
Retarding or arresting that process because prices were different under a wholly different demand scenario is dumb.
Like Flat Earth dumb.
Supply and demand is natural law. You can't obviate it with man made law and hand waving.

They're not just bidding against 'each other', they're bidding for capital resources against every other thing that could be produced.
Prices are exactly what coordinate capital resources toward producing what people want the most. Everbody who jumps in to reap some of the profits the change in demand have created is helping solve the problem of insufficient supply.
Retarding or arresting that process because prices were different under a wholly different demand scenario is dumb.
Like Flat Earth dumb.
Supply and demand is natural law. You can't obviate it with man made law and hand waving.
No Flat Earth dumb is the GOP agenda. Are you kidding me right now in implementation of the Act to streamline PPE's and Ventilators is worse than the ****ery we have now? Wow...

The American way is price gouging. That is what we do.

Companies charge as much as they can for garbage products that were made in China to save a few cents. Pay employees the least amount possible all while paying themselves millions and profiting billions. Yet still wanting government bailout money because they didn't reach their milti-billion dollar profit margin this year.

At no point does quality come into play or even paying their employees a reasonable wage. The only important factor is what will get more money into the hands at the top.

It is bad now because utilizing the Act should have been done weeks ago, so I pray these numbers continue to hold as the current patchwork of dumb****ery will NOT be able to handle a massive uptick.
you are going to be awfully bored if you don't have anything to bitch about

The American way is price gouging. That is what we do.

Companies charge as much as they can for garbage products that were made in China to save a few cents. Pay employees the least amount possible all while paying themselves millions and profiting billions. Yet still wanting government bailout money because they didn't reach their milti-billion dollar profit margin this year.

At no point does quality come into play or even paying their employees a reasonable wage. The only important factor is what will get more money into the hands at the top.
I can't argue this as an employee of a massive corporation of 18 years, I chuckle when the GOP tax scam came and went and everyone was all excited it should come down to us/we may ge ta bonus etc, not a penny per usual. Stock buy back by the Corporation ONLY occurred...#Merica

you are going to be awfully bored if you don't have anything to bitch about
I will sleep for a week once Trump is gone. Bitch, more like the wanting/pleading of common sense measures to save as many Americans as possible Black/White/Woman/Male/Asian/Republican/Democrat/Independent etc

Reactions: TheCainer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT