ADVERTISEMENT

Chad Leistikow's B10 Predictions for every team

Buying. BF knows he needs to get the ball in the hands of his playmakers and the triumphant return of the TE as an integral part of the offense keeps the chains moving and the defense off of the field.

We have playmakers in MVB, JB and Akrum. We have LB crunching Full backs and a veteran, hungry OLine.

Will the DTs hold up?

Buying Iowa. I think iowa goes 8-4 or 9-3. Selling Michigan. I almost closed the article when I saw he had Michigan winning.
He must not be too high on the b1g.
He has OK coming into columbus to beat OSU and then OSU>PSU.

As for iowa going 4-5.....that seems pretty low.

to me... it seems like Chad Leistikow hates the Iowa Hawkeyes.
there's no sense of optimism coming from that guy.

he's got a 3rd place team from a year ago, winning the East Division for the first time since Nebraska joined the Big Ten. (think about that)

Iowa was 2nd in the Division last year... and won the Division the year before...
but now he has them finishing 3rd.

there's no logic in these predictions... I know its all for fun... but it does seem to me that he has something against Iowa Hawkeye football.

he's got a 3rd place team from a year ago, winning the East Division for the first time since Nebraska joined the Big Ten. (think about that)

Iowa was 2nd in the Division last year... and won the Division the year before...

there's no logic in these predictions... I know its all for fun... but it does seem to me that he has something against Iowa Hawkeye football.

Youre a riot man!

I'm thinking 8-4 reg season record. KF is going to give BF all the help he needs to be successful.

Overall offensive and defensive health with QB/WR working out (whomever wins those jobs), to me means it's gonna be a fun year.

I just don't think it's realistic to expect that to occur.

Floor = 4.5 wins
Ceiling = 9.5 wins

I think Iowa can surprise this year, I just ain't expecting it to.

There's a lot to like with this team, though. I just wish Iowa had a QB and WR (can't assume Meercat will be healthy yet) we could sit here today and say, those guys are quality B10 players. A safety we can hang our hat on would also be nice.

So...7 wins sounds about right regarding "expectations". There aren't many "if's" needed to push that higher...just what "if's" that are present are really important "if's".

Reactions: ichawk24
He is a Hawkeye Hater.. I don't read into this BS too much as no one knows what the F is going to happen.. just like Wis last year having a dumpy season and they rose to the top.. now they will take Iowa's role as the fav this year and could fall flat.. who knows it's a crapshoot.. he's a pencil pusher anyways probably never played a lick of any sports besides golf or something.. yes, I don't like him and never have and that's how I really feel!

Reactions: fifteenandoh
He is a Hawkeye Hater.. I don't read into this BS too much as no one knows what the F is going to happen.. just like Wis last year having a dumpy season and they rose to the top.. now they will take Iowa's role as the fav this year and could fall flat.. who knows it's a crapshoot.. he's a pencil pusher anyways probably never played a lick of any sports besides golf or something.. yes, I don't like him and never have and that's how I really feel!

Am also not a fan. He rarely has anything positive to say about the Hawks.

Leistikow avoids disappointment by underestimating.

This team is going to be nasty:

My take is that Brian Ferentz is going to do a hell of a job as offensive coordinator. PA pass, TEs, etc - traditional Iowa offense is back.

The front 7 on defense will be the toughest we've had since Clayborn was lining up at DE. QBs are going to be under constant pressure.

Having a new Quarterback isn't necessarily a detriment. Past breakout seasons have typically been with new QBs. We have talent at this position too.

Fantastic veteran OLine. 2 NFL caliber RBs.

If we can find someone to throw the ball to, this team will really surprise.

Last edited:

Why should a journalist be obligated to show optimism for a team he/she covers? Its their job to look at each team/season objectively and honestly, not just be a cheerleader for the program. At least that is my opinion.

Why should a journalist be obligated to show optimism for a team he/she covers? Its their job to look at each team/season objectively and honestly, not just be a cheerleader for the program. At least that is my opinion.
I wholeheartedly disagree.... a reporter who covers a specific team would do themselves a good deal if they showed optimism.

it must be hell for people like CL to cover a sports team they don't even like.

but I seriously don't believe CL has any idea what he's talking about...

he fishes... he don't analyze

how accurate was CL last year with his perdiction and in 2015 how good was he?

was he even around in 2014?

Reactions: mustang_hawk
I read it a couple of times. What the heck did he state that is so God awful? New QB, yes. Lost Snyder, yes.
Replace DT's, yes. Tough schedule, yes. My God if someone doesn't absolutly kiss Iowa's ass they're haters! Grow-up. That said, I think 8-9 wins doable.

you're from freakin Iowa... you would do yourself good, as a reporter, to generate a positive vibe... get the fan base excited... and keep them coming back to read more.

CL.... he ain't that smart... and his predictions are always WAY off... every time he does them.... this year will be no exception.

you're from freakin Iowa... you would do yourself good, as a reporter, to generate a positive vibe... get the fan base excited... and keep them coming back to read more.

CL.... he ain't that smart... and his predictions are always WAY off... every time he does them.... this year will be no exception.
How old are you?

Reactions: terrehawk
He is bad at these FYI. Last year he said Minnesota was going to win the division.

Didn't Kirk Herbstreit also have the gophers winning too last year. Think they felt with their schedule they could pull an Iowa 15' winning of the West. Besides the bottom 2 in Purdue and Illinois the games between the rest of the West of the division will be fun to watch with anyone able to beat one another. I do think Minny will be the worse of the 5 but not as bad as the other 2. Have a feeling Wisconsin will got knocked off their perch on top of the West and lose a game or 2 they shouldn't.

What's your point? You said Iowa would be 15-0 last year hence your username and you were WAY off too. Using your reasoning then you aren't too smart either...

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
I think 6-8 wins is the realistic window.

As for West predictions, I'd go with:
The contenders...
1) Wisconsin - Returns a ton of talent, soft schedule
2) Northwestern - Returns too much experience to be taken lightly

I think 3-5 could go in any order...
3) Iowa - Some major question marks, but should be solid on both OL and DL.
4) Nebraska - They have to show me they can compete in the trenches.
5) Minnesota - Solid at RB, DT, and TE. Skeptical on everything else.

The basement...
6) Illinois - I don't care enough to give an assessment
7) Purdue - Brohm is a good hire, but I don't expect immediate results

What's your point? You said Iowa would be 15-0 last year hence your username and you were WAY off too. Using your reasoning then you aren't too smart either...
if you agree with me that CL ain't that smart... then I don't care about the rest of what you said..

but if you say I ain't smart for picking 15-0 every single year... yet CL is smart for going the other direction... then that reveals who you really are thereby making your username a fraud and you a liar.

I gotta wonder about you folks some times... its like some of you have become so dependent on what the media says you suspend all ability to rationalize and think for yourselves.

very strange behavior from some of you.

Iowa won the West in 2015, with far more margin for error. Wisconsin went 7-2, with losses to Northwestern and Iowa.

The key to 2017 begins with Northwestern @ Wisconsin. It will be hard for the Wildcats to begin two back, if they lose right out of the gate to the Badgers.

Wisconsin heads to Nebraska the following week, so it will be interesting to see how the Badgers open in the B1G. Yes, the Badgers are the program to beat in the West.

Iowa must defeat three front-runners all on the road. They actually did just that in 2015. Iowa is a better road team, than home team often for some reason, but that could change, as a dynamic, after two years of success (outside on one game in Happy Valley.
  • Wisconsin is the program to beat, but they are three years removed from Dave Amada's first 3-4 team and not sure they have the depth or will be without some growing pains under first year DC (3rd in 3 years).
  • Northwestern beat Iowa last year and has won 2 of 3 in series with Badgers. This may be Coach Fitzgerald's best team in 12 seasons ...
  • Iowa has a tough road with PSU, @ MSU to kickoff 2017 B1G. The later home match in November with OSU is another high hurdle. Wisconsin went 7-2 last year in route to a Big Ten title, right? Iowa most likely must repeat the B1G West slate at 6-0, which was last completed in 2015 ...
  • Nebraska is a program that has a lot of questions heading into 2017. How good is QB Tanner Lee and how strong will the defense be, under the new 3-4 Diaco attack?
  • Minnesota - The QB situation is very interesting. They welcome P.J. Fleck, but will it lead to Wins, in year one? You look at Iowa's passing attack, what about Minnesota's?
  • Purdue - this is a program that should improve, but until they show it, they are in the right spot. Challenging OOC slate, as new HC Brian Brohm faces some challenges in Year 1. Good hire!
  • Illinois - this will be a rebuilding year and they may hit bottom along the way for Lovie Smith and the Illini!
Some early thoughts on 2017 B1G West race ...

if you agree with me that CL ain't that smart... then I don't care about the rest of what you said..

but if you say I ain't smart for picking 15-0 every single year... yet CL is smart for going the other direction... then that reveals who you really are thereby making your username a fraud and you a liar.

I gotta wonder about you folks some times... its like some of you have become so dependent on what the media says you suspend all ability to rationalize and think for yourselves.

very strange behavior from some of you.

I agree the hawks shouldnt lose a game the rest of KF's career at Iowa. Maybe they will but they shouldnt. You and I are on the same page!

Reactions: fifteenandoh
I think 6-8 wins is the realistic window.

As for West predictions, I'd go with:
The contenders...
1) Wisconsin - Returns a ton of talent, soft schedule
2) Northwestern - Returns too much experience to be taken lightly

I think 3-5 could go in any order...
3) Iowa - Some major question marks, but should be solid on both OL and DL.
4) Nebraska - They have to show me they can compete in the trenches.
5) Minnesota - Solid at RB, DT, and TE. Skeptical on everything else.

The basement...
6) Illinois - I don't care enough to give an assessment
7) Purdue - Brohm is a good hire, but I don't expect immediate results

Yes, Illinois not worth keystrokes. Damn, I just typed a sentance about them. Never get that 20 seconds back :(

Sedge

Overall offensive and defensive health with QB/WR working out (whomever wins those jobs), to me means it's gonna be a fun year.

I just don't think it's realistic to expect that to occur.

Floor = 4.5 wins
Ceiling = 9.5 wins

I think Iowa can surprise this year, I just ain't expecting it to.

There's a lot to like with this team, though. I just wish Iowa had a QB and WR (can't assume Meercat will be healthy yet) we could sit here today and say, those guys are quality B10 players. A safety we can hang our hat on would also be nice.

So...7 wins sounds about right regarding "expectations". There aren't many "if's" needed to push that higher...just what "if's" that are present are really important "if's".
Its always a crapshoot picking this time of year, but I know one thing, it will be no fun coming on here if we hit your projected floor!:oops: I'm saying 8-4 to 9-3 sounds about right. Scout made an excellent point. If BF is actually the sucession plan for HC in a few years, then KF is going to want the offense to seem much improved this season. Should be interesting. So will this be KF 3.0 or 4.0, I've lost track.......

He has IA over NE and MN but same record....
So I assume he has us beating both and I'd hope PU/IL

I have trouble believing we don't win at least one of the other 5. I'd be disappointed if we don't at least take one of nw/msu!

Reactions: nychawkeyes
Just looked at our and NW sched!
We play PSU, then an overrated MSU and IL
Then our off week is before NW game

NW plays WI PSU MD before our game

Even on the road, we win!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT