ADVERTISEMENT

Challenger 1986

Watched the series on Netflix this morning. Brought back tons of memories i didn't know I had. I was only 8 when it happened. When they played the president saying they had slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God i gasped.

I remember him saying that that night. I remember how profound of a statement that is. Those words were very powerful to me and I didn't even remember that they were there till I saw it again this morning.

Also, I remember the coverup at the time but didn't know the details. It surely was a tragedy but to hear the 2 guys that were most responsible say that they would have made the same decision with the same information today was pretty telling. They both accepted the blame but carry no guilt. I believe them. I think the documentary may have overblown the conspiracy and cover up a bit when it was more likely just a poor decision.

The entire Naval Base in Orlando went on immediate lockdown for fear of a terrorist attack. Saw it live while out on the grinder(parade ground), total silence on a very busy base. Then all hell broke loose with sirens and SPs everywhere.

My dad was stationed in Germany at the time. Was at home after school about to head for basketball practice. My dad and I sat on the couch thinking we'd watch the launch for a few minutes and leave. Well, it didn't take long to figure out something tragic had happened. I just remember my dad saying let's go before you are late and your coach gets mad at you. Got to practice and only like half the team showed up and the coach had no idea. Told us to stop talking about it and focus on the practice plan. It wasn't until the following day when we got to school when the gravity of the situation became clear. We had a guidance counselor speak to the class, kids were crying, our teacher was emotional... just a weird day. I know that a couple of the teachers in our school had really made a big deal about it and I think one of them had been in consideration to be on the shuttle at some point long before the finalists were chosen, but they championed the launch for weeks leading up to it... needless to say they were wrecked by the disaster. And, there was 7up and a lot of other bad jokes kids in 5-8 grade would tell.

I remember where I was, didn't see it live.

I was shopping at the Hy Vee over by Lindale Mall in CR. The muzak playing in-store at the time switched over to 600AM with a live break-in broadcast about 5 minutes after the explosion.

Unfortunately I'm old enough where I've lived through way too many of these "I remember exactly where I was at" tragedy type things.

Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT