ADVERTISEMENT

changes in American culture-religion

ihhawk

HB Legend
Feb 4, 2004
Fort Lauderdale
Does anyone else find it amazing how much the USA has changed in terms of religion since WW2. It is like a whole different country in just 70 years. Everyone went to church back then and now the numbers are low. Family values weren't really discussed because it was the norm but now it is a term for the right wing conservatives.

Im not saying one is better or worse but wow times changed

One paycheck used to support a middle class lifestyle too. I'd bet that's related.

I blame my mother. In my later school years (college) she used to say to me in an exasperated tone, "You kids act like YOU invented sex!"
Times change montross. They always have and they always will. Some day you'll discover the "good ol' days" were really never that good....just old. You don't have to like change but you have to accept it. Or go nuts.

I think that a lot of the change is positive. We are a more tolerant society. I do think that we have too much entitlement. I also think that we force our ideas onto others too much. That goes both ways. Christians just need to let others be happy and others need to allow christians to have their beliefs.

Men used to wear suits and hats as everyday clothes. I grew up catholic and on a farm. My life today looks very little like it did when I was a kid.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Through the 1950's the Protestant and Roman
Catholic Churches instilled in the American culture
that the 10 Commandments were still valid and
objective truth was possible. During this decade
church attendance peaked and new churches
sprouted over the American landscape.

By the end of the 1960's American culture had
the idea that there are no moral absolutes and
that truth is relative. Trust in God was replaced
with trust in self. Nihilism began to flourish with
the belief that life has no real meaning on this
earth and there is no life after death.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:
One paycheck used to support a middle class lifestyle too. I'd bet that's related.
I know right, and what happened, was that the US Government allowed a private-banking institution to control the rates of our currency, in which it was supposed to protect from this type of inflation. It didn't of course, and that is why we can no longer do that anymore.

That's Big Government though, those silly billy bomb droppers.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

I know right, and what happened, was that the US Government allowed a private-banking institution to control the rates of our currency, in which it was supposed to protect from this type of inflation. It didn't of course, and that is why we can no longer do that anymore.

That's Big Government though, those silly billy bomb droppers.

That may be a small part of it since about 2002 or so. Which is another way of saying you're way off with this argument.

I'd suggest it has a lot more to do with other parts of the world looking at an uneducated man in Detroit turning a screwdriver for $40 per hour and saying "Hell, I'd do that for half the price!".

Gallup shows no change over the past 70 years, finding the number of regular church-goers at 40%.

However, other studies have cast serious doubt on those poll numbers.

I think we are doing ok here with church attendance. God died in Europe after the two big wars and probably will never make a comeback. I remember sitting in a nearly empty Westminster Abbey one Sunday for service in London and was struck by how few members there were. Maybe a couple and old ones at that. And its a gorgeous church with incredible music.

Some of the new wave prod churches are turning Sunday service into entertainment. I don't worship to frolic, I think it needs to be more serious than that.

Today, the impact of Christianity in America is
not measured by the number of people in church
pews on Sunday. Instead, it will be measured by
the strength of the American family. It will judged
by the number of homes where husband and wife
are raising their children to love God and have
respect for their fellow citizens. Christians need
to set an example as people who work hard to
earn a paycheck and obey the laws of the land.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

Today, the impact of Christianity in America is
not measured by the number of people in church
pews on Sunday. Instead, it will be measured by
the strength of the American family. It will judged
by the number of homes where husband and wife
are raising their children to love God and have
respect for their fellow citizens. Christians need
to set an example as people who work hard to
earn a paycheck and obey the laws of the land.
So Christians don't need to do anything uniquely Christian? Seems like you set the bar pretty low. You might be forgiven if you mistake most of China or India for Christian if this is your definition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT