ADVERTISEMENT

Characteristics of a Successful College Coach

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
20 CHARACTERISTICS OF SUCCESSFUL COLLEGE COACHES:

1) Demands perfection in everything that players do, even off-the-field
2) Understands that winning is the only thing that they will be judged on and can balance game preparations, strategy and player development with other job requirements that don’t necessarily effect wins and losses
3) Learned from every coach he has worked for and retained what has been passed down to him.
4) Is a good communicator
5) Isn't caught off guard
6) Demands discipline and builds a team that can be disciplined from within
7) Can win versus ranked opponents
8) Teams fight back when down
9) Knows how to motivate his players and is trusted by the team
10) Has faith and passion in his plan, staff and players
11) Knows how to move on after losses and setbacks
12) Players are accountable
13) Is a great teacher and is able to simplify the game plan
14) Demands that the players respect the program and the honor of being a college athlete
15) Practices are tough
16) Strong relationships with other coaches across the sport at every level (high school, college and pros)
17) Expects players to graduate.
18) Prepared for the next step
19) Enjoys the process
20) Knows how to manage the staff

I borrowed this from an article I found. Changed up the wording to make it more of a "review" type thing. I'm interested in comments regarding Fran, just from us couch coaches of course. Strengths, Weakness?

For example, #2. Strength. And I'm just guessing but I have a feeling that having a wife who played college basketball, is interested in it and could probably be a coach in her own right is a bigger plus than we might realize. This allows Fran to keep his "head in the game" at times when others might be settling on picking out drapes. Essentially we have not only a 24/7 coach, but a support staff without spending a dime extra for it.

I truly hope a coach is judged on more than wins and losses. I know I judge them on more than that. If all you care about is W and L, that implies you would like them to cheat as much as possible to maximize chances of winning as long as they don't get caught.

I truly hope a coach is judged on more than wins and losses. I know I judge them on more than that. If all you care about is W and L, that implies you would like them to cheat as much as possible to maximize chances of winning as long as they don't get caught.

You would have to ask the writer of that list. It looked like a pay site so no links. I'd suggest searching by the title of the article in bold.

I presume that since "cheating" would not be an attribute that should lead to a successful coaching career, it didn't come up.

It's funny what some folks think something "implies". I didn't get that at all.

The writer of that left off the obvious: Can recruit top talent. Unless that was implied.

You would have to ask the writer of that list. It looked like a pay site so no links. I'd suggest searching by the title of the article in bold.

I presume that since "cheating" would not be an attribute that should lead to a successful coaching career, it didn't come up.

It's funny what some folks think something "implies". I didn't get that at all.

Funny, when it states "winning is the only thing I will be judged on", I didn't think it was "implying" anything. I felt it was plainly stating that any way to achieve a win was acceptable. Didn't seem to taking much implying at that point.

But that's just my read of what you posted

Funny, when it states "winning is the only thing I will be judged on", I didn't think it was "implying" anything. I felt it was plainly stating that any way to achieve a win was acceptable. Didn't seem to taking much implying at that point.

But that's just my read of what you posted

Well, did you do as I suggested and ask him? A simple, "What did you mean by leaving out not cheating?" As AZMess could have done as well, "Hey! You left off recruiting! How come!?"

I posted how to find the guy. Or are you just going to put words in his mouth?

Well, did you do as I suggested and ask him? A simple, "What did you mean by leaving out not cheating?" As AZMess could have done as well, "Hey! You left off recruiting! How come!?"

I posted how to find the guy. Or are you just going to put words in his mouth?

Sorry, I don't bother google searching for articles by title name to try to dig up an email address for somebody. I'm lazy. I will click links, however, if they seem interesting.

Sorry, I don't bother google searching for articles by title name to try to dig up an email address for somebody. I'm lazy. I will click links, however, if they seem interesting.

Fair enough. I spent quite a bit of time trying to discover the name of the gentleman on who's site I found this list. He claims to have some "vast" experience in recruiting and sending players to the pros in several sports. But in what capacity he doesn't say. I suppose sports agent would be likely.

It wasn't my intent to either claim the list to be complete, or perfect. I was trying to stimulate a conversation about what makes a good coach, and what attributes could be ascribed to McCaffery, or other coaches.

Failed attempt, the only responses were criticisms of the list. :cool: Bad idea to post the thing I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT