ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Jones

Huge fan and Alum.

When good things happen, I will praise them. BUT, right now, we're watching a former player look very, very good for a rival team. It warrants sh*t-talking.
And it matters how. The guys gone Hell the PSU vs PU game thread is almost as long as if we were playing. Most of it about a guy who decided to play elsewhere. Are we going to see 12 freaking weeks of "oh God look what Charlie Jones did". We are embarking on another season of Hawkeye football, and once again, many posts are about everything thats wrong with the team, players, our AD, and the coaches who obviously don't know a thing about football. Can't wait for our in game threads and the ongoing complaints on every play by either team. Everything we do is wrong, and our opponents are so much better and smarter then our folks, win or lose. How about we go into a season on a positive note for once and enjoy the hard work that all these young men and our coaches put into their preperation to represent the Iowa Hawkeyes.......

I know that he wouldn't be the #1 WR in our system because he doesn't fit what we ask of that position.

Although if you really believe the offense has had zero to do with that record, you probably don't understand that to begin with.
Then he certainly made the right decision to transfer. If Iowa's offensive coaches can't take a talent like that and figure out how to utilize it, then they need to take a serious look in the mirror and re-examine "what we ask of the WR position." And while they're at it, they might want to try fielding a QB who belongs in the B1G.

And I give Iowa's offense as much credit for the team record the past 1-3 years as I do myself when I'm playing best ball golf with my brothers - yeah, I'm contributing here and there, but c'mon...

On the KO before the half - how much is Jones going to miss Iowa special team units helping make him look great? He got out to like the 13 on that one. Indication of things to come?
Agree he looked horrible on special teams. Two punt returns for zero yards and 2 kick returns for an average of under 14.

Jones looked very good. He is going to have a huge tear. You need good blockers to set up returns. I didn’t think he would have as good of year as he did at Iowa in that aspect.
Tracy looked the same.

And it matters how. The guys gone Hell the PSU vs PU game thread is almost as long as if we were playing. Most of it about a guy who decided to play elsewhere. Are we going to see 12 freaking weeks of "oh God look what Charlie Jones did". We are embarking on another season of Hawkeye football, and once again, many posts are about everything thats wrong with the team, players, our AD, and the coaches who obviously don't know a thing about football. Can't wait for our in game threads and the ongoing complaints on every play by either team. Everything we do is wrong, and our opponents are so much better and smarter then our folks, win or lose. How about we go into a season on a positive note for once and enjoy the hard work that all these young men and our coaches put into their preperation to represent the Iowa Hawkeyes.......
Remember the topic regarding Joe Burrow leaving Ohio State then dominating at LSU...and how he initially wanted to play for Nebraska but they didn't want him?? This circulated nationally.

This is what humans due - they talk about stuff. Charlie / Purdue vs Penn State was relevant for us as Iowa fans, even more-so than normal for reasons that shouldn't need to be explained.

Remember the topic regarding Joe Burrow leaving Ohio State then dominating at LSU...and how he initially wanted to play for Nebraska but they didn't want him?? This circulated nationally.

This is what humans due - they talk about stuff. Charlie / Purdue vs Penn State was relevant for us as Iowa fans, even more-so than normal for reasons that shouldn't need to be explained.
Pretty sure all they're talking about is Brohm's horrendous game management.

Also, Joe Burrow and Charile Jones are not at all comparable.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Agree he looked horrible on special teams. Two punt returns for zero yards and 2 kick returns for an average of under 14.
didn't he suffer an injury last year sometime? if i recall when he came back he didn't seem as effective on the pr's and kr's as he was before the injury. could have been due to lingering issues... or maybe he just wasn't as good as we all thought. maybe we'll see this year in a different system.

Agreed if it's about wins and losses...However I'm betting Chuck Sizzle is just lookin for a way to try and increase his odds of gettin paid on Sundays. If that's the case he absolutely made the right call if last nights numbers are any indication

Too bad we will not see him as the #1 WR at Iowa, in a pro offense, since we now know, he wouldn't be #4 likely heading into 2022, due to injures.

He played well last night. Penn State pulled out another close win on the road in Big Ten.

James Franklin is now one game over .500, since 2020.

Jeff Brohm is now -2 under .500 at Purdue.

All the hate aside, I didn't see Charlie do anything spectacular last night. He had a lot of yards on a lot of catches but for the most part, he was wide open because of blown coverage. When he was covered he didn't usually catch the ball, and he didn’t gain many yards after he caught the ball.

Purdue's offense will definitely get more yards/catches for Charlie. But it's heavily pass-oriented so not a surprise. I was shocked that he couldn't do much after catching it or in their return games. I think he'll enjoy the extra passes but he's going to hate losing, because PU is going to suck this year.

Reactions: kceasthawk and Ree4
I guess, but when he played for the Hawks we beat penn state.
I think one of the posters in this thread already said it, but Purdue losing isn't really the "gotcha!" that proves Jones made the wrong call. He left Iowa because he wasn't going to get the volume/exposure that he'll get at Purdue. He wanted to play in an offense where he could try to showcase his receiving talents and that got off to a good start last night. Brohm (and the Purdue defense having a god-awful end to each half) getting in his own way with game management doesn't change that fact.

Jones reason for leaving is he wants to play in the NFL. He can't hilight his skills at iowa like he can at Purdue . So far, this is working. Jones will be a top 10 receiver in the country at seasons end

All the hate aside, I didn't see Charlie do anything spectacular last night. He had a lot of yards on a lot of catches but for the most part, he was wide open because of blown coverage. When he was covered he didn't usually catch the ball, and he didn’t gain many yards after he caught the ball.

Purdue's offense will definitely get more yards/catches for Charlie. But it's heavily pass-oriented so not a surprise. I was shocked that he couldn't do much after catching it or in their return games. I think he'll enjoy the extra passes but he's going to hate losing, because PU is going to suck this year.
He had a fantastic game. He was mugged all night and didn't have a single drop that I can recall. He got open and caught 12 passes for 153 yards. Give the guy some credit. If he and O'Connell stay healthy he'll be one of the leading receivers in the country thus year.

Jones reason for leaving is he wants to play in the NFL. He can't hilight his skills at iowa like he can at Purdue . So far, this is working. Jones will be a top 10 receiver in the country at seasons end
Chowwy's best shot at the NFL is as a KR/PR. He's pretty marginal even as a slot receiver.

Jones can go eff himself. He left late for a division rival that didn’t want him when he left Buffalo. Eat a big bag a shit.
So you're saying he should not try and pursue a career in the NFL for the sake of Iowa? He has 21 catches last year. He had 12 last night.

Any other player in the team that you think should not pursue their dream?

Please tell me you aren't that selfish and idiotic. He did what he should do. If you're coaches aren't going to use you, find coaches that will

Pretty sure all they're talking about is Brohm's horrendous game management.

Also, Joe Burrow and Charile Jones are not at all comparable.
Yes, and that's why one story (Burrow) was nationally discussed and this Charlie Jones topic is occurring in a little HawkeyeReport thread.

Do you get that?

He had a fantastic game. He was mugged all night and didn't have a single drop that I can recall. He got open and caught 12 passes for 153 yards. Give the guy some credit. If he and O'Connell stay healthy he'll be one of the leading receivers in the country thus year.
Mugged all night? LOL!
You didn't refute anything that I stated. Charlie had a lot of yards but he had few if any YACs. He did get open but didn't catch many in traffic. When Bell killed Iowa, he had great runs after catching the pass.

He may or may not have a great year. If PU played PSU 12 games, he probably would. But let's let the season play out before crowning him the next great PU receiver.

Agree, he's now in an offense that's exciting and utilizes their receivers. One can only dream we could have an offense like Purdue. Love it when Iowa goes up tempo w/ an empty back field and slings it. You can tell the opposing D's are like wtf? Unfortunately we rarely do it. Iowa could surprise so many teams if they opened it up. We better beat Purdue this year!

Chowwy's best shot at the NFL is as a KR/PR. He's pretty marginal even as a slot receiver.
I agree that his best shot in the NFL is as a returner. Did not flash in that area at all last nite. I can't remember that he made it past the 20 in any of his ko returns and fair caught most of the punts.

Jones looked very good. He is going to have a huge tear. You need good blockers to set up returns. I didn’t think he would have as good of year as he did at Iowa in that aspect.
Tracy looked the same.
Did Tracy get a ball thrown his way after he dropped the pass with room to run after the catch?

Agree, he's now in an offense that's exciting and utilizes their receivers. One can only dream we could have an offense like Purdue. Love it when Iowa goes up tempo w/ an empty back field and slings it. You can tell the opposing D's are like wtf? Unfortunately we rarely do it. Iowa could surprise so many teams if they opened it up. We better beat Purdue this year!
Sounds like you found a new team! Bye!

😉

• Haha
Reactions: coorsoriginal02
Mugged all night? LOL!
You didn't refute anything that I stated. Charlie had a lot of yards but he had few if any YACs. He did get open but didn't catch many in traffic. When Bell killed Iowa, he had great runs after catching the pass.

He may or may not have a great year. If PU played PSU 12 games, he probably would. But let's let the season play out before crowning him the next great PU receiver.
Not just Jones. The PSU secondary could have been called for holds and PI on almost every play. I hope that's not a sign of things to come this year from the officials.

Not just Jones. The PSU secondary could have been called for holds and PI on almost every play. I hope that's not a sign of things to come this year from the officials.
PSUs Porter is terrific, but, he was early on several occasions. Refs missed multiple PI's against Penn State.

PSUs Porter is terrific, but, he was early on several occasions. Refs missed multiple PI's against Penn State.
And there were just as many Purdue did also. There was a blatant one there when Penn State had 3rd down toward the end and Clifford even through the ball his way and the ref totally missed the Purdue defender mugging the receiver.

That targeting call was BS also. That was damn near a lateral and the receiver was grabbing for the ball like it was. He didn't hit him in the head and lead with his shoulder.

Reactions: Ree4 and BBHawk
All this "CJ was Iowa's 3rd or 4th best WR..." talk is pure comedy. Did it ever occur to you people that our offensive coaches are just really poor at judging and using WR talent?

Oh, and why is Purdue's offense so easy to learn compared to Iowa's? LOL. I don't know how KF and BF can be watching this game and not think "maybe we're doing it wrong" when it comes to offense.
This. Jones told into Purdue in June and had a career game in September. If it was the other way around here wouldn't be ready because he didn't have command of the offense yet.

I honestly think the single biggest issue for us offensively is an offense that's so complicated that it takes years to learn and leaves skill players aflicted with "paralysis by analysis". Players have to think too much to just go do it.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
They f-ing lost but that was exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JFC.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
And Purdue will be 8 -4 or something like that.

And yet we were 10-2. Damn we good.
Actually the Iowa offense could be better this year and have the scoring average go down. The defense's turnovers created last year and short fields took some of the pressure of the Iowa Offense, and did a significant part of the scoring themselves. The defense should still be excellent, but might not have the same turnover/pick-six production, putting more pressure on the offense to create longer drives. Just saying the 10-2 was participated in by the offense, but is also largely reflective of excellent defense and special teams.

Jones looked very good. He is going to have a huge tear. You need good blockers to set up returns. I didn’t think he would have as good of year as he did at Iowa in that aspect. Tracy looked the same.
Did Tracy get a ball thrown his way after he dropped the pass with room to run after the catch?

I recall Tracy being targeted late in the game where the ball was thrown behind him. Would have been a difficult catch with him being pretty well covered and behind him.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
ADVERTISEMENT