ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Jones

So you're saying he should not try and pursue a career in the NFL for the sake of Iowa? He has 21 catches last year. He had 12 last night.

Any other player in the team that you think should not pursue their dream?

Please tell me you aren't that selfish and idiotic. He did what he should do. If you're coaches aren't going to use you, find coaches that will
I’m not going to say good for him because my interest lies with the University of Iowa, who he screwed over by transferring so late in the process. He can be selfish, so can I.

I'm wondering why we need to choose between having an exciting and effective passing offense and losing to Penn State (like Purdue last night) and having a boring and ineffective passing offense and beating Penn State (like Iowa last year). Maybe we can keep what is good about the current team that has lead to our success the past few years while simultaneously improving our biggest weaknesses like our passing game to help us win more games and recruit more talent at the receiver and quarterback positions?

Also, it's always talked about how difficult our offense is to learn for new incoming players which is why it takes so long for talent to see the field, but opposing teams' defenses usually have about a week to prepare for it and don't seem to have a problem learning enough about it to stop it effectively.

Charlie made his choice. Watching O'Connell made me wish for a QB with that kind of accuracy. Dude was putting some dimes on his WRs last night. No, they didn't win but hard to fault Jones for making the decision. He got three times the targets on top of a QB that can get him the ball consistently.

Reactions: LuteHawk
All the hate aside, I didn't see Charlie do anything spectacular last night. He had a lot of yards on a lot of catches but for the most part, he was wide open because of blown coverage. When he was covered he didn't usually catch the ball, and he didn’t gain many yards after he caught the ball.

Purdue's offense will definitely get more yards/catches for Charlie. But it's heavily pass-oriented so not a surprise. I was shocked that he couldn't do much after catching it or in their return games. I think he'll enjoy the extra passes but he's going to hate losing, because PU is going to suck this year.
GMAFB. There's no way you actually believe that drivel. That's the sourest of sour grapes. If your interpretation is that he was wide open all game due to defensive breakdowns, but also couldn't get many YAC, you are just seeing what you want to see. He did everything to help his team win, including making a really great full-extension catch, in traffic, taking a hit afterwards, on 3rd down that SHOULD have sealed the game if not for his incompetent coaching staff. And there was nothing about last night's game to indicate that PU is going to suck this year. They lost a tough one, but looked very much like they did last year when they won 9 games and beat the f** out of us.

You people trying to make it sound like we're not going to miss CJ this year and that he made a big mistake transferring just because his team lost last night just need to stop.

Jones reason for leaving is he wants to play in the NFL. He can't hilight his skills at iowa like he can at Purdue . So far, this is working. Jones will be a top 10 receiver in the country at seasons end
Seriously, top 10 in what?

Charlie made his choice. Watching O'Connell made me wish for a QB with that kind of accuracy. Dude was putting some dimes on his WRs last night. No, they didn't win but hard to fault Jones for making the decision. He got three times the targets on top of a QB that can get him the ball consistently.
overall i do agree. PU does seem to have made him their main go to guy. BUT if jones had stayed at iowa i don't think he would've lost out as much as it's made out to be. for one, he would surely have seen a lot more targets as a senior than he did last year -- i would conservatively say his productivity as a receiver would've gone up by at least 50%. Then the opportunities to shine (not just attempt) on ST at Iowa would've dwarfed anything there.
As has been mentioned by many, his leaving has less to do with annoying the fans as the last minute ditching.

Charlie is very, very lucky he doesn't have broken ribs after going up to get that ball along the sideline.

That safety made a horrible play on the ball there.
Agreed. I was cringing in anticipation of the big hit but I think the safety thought the ball was going to be overthrown and he was going for the ball.………..…. I was thinking near the end of the game I wonder if Charlie can hold up a full season. That’s a lot of hits to take when along with nearly 20 targets he returns kicks and punts. Almost running back #hits. Although most are coming from dab’s and 300lb lineman and huge LB’s.

Catches & yards. Top 10 is probably a stretch, but top 10 in power 5? I could see it. Pass happy offense, very capable QB and a system that loves throwing. Not to mention, a less than stellar D that is going to have a hard time staying on the field.

All the hate aside, I didn't see Charlie do anything spectacular last night. He had a lot of yards on a lot of catches but for the most part, he was wide open because of blown coverage. When he was covered he didn't usually catch the ball, and he didn’t gain many yards after he caught the ball.

Purdue's offense will definitely get more yards/catches for Charlie. But it's heavily pass-oriented so not a surprise. I was shocked that he couldn't do much after catching it or in their return games. I think he'll enjoy the extra passes but he's going to hate losing, because PU is going to suck this year.
Lol

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Good for Charlie, went to Purdue, roomed with Mr QB and learned the playbook all summer, played pitch and catch all summer, came out last night and had a good game.
Second coming of Bell? Not close as he didn't have the YAC Bell would have because they basically played pitch and catch. Bell just knew how to get open and did a lot of breaking off routes to come back to get the ball. Different players and cast of characters.
Charlie doesn't have Woods coaching special teams. Story over, move along.
Once Penn State figured out Purdue's tendencies last night, the game came down to the fact Purdue couldn't run the ball. Poor coaching in the end.
Good luck to Charlie, going to be a long season with the touches he is going to have. Hope he can survive the grind of being the guy.

Losing Charlie is a loss for Iowa, there is no other way to put it. And, it was the right decision for Charlie for his future because he would never be targeted 18 times or whatever it was in this offense. Of course I don't agree with the timing of his transfer and for that I will not consider him a great Hawkeye, but, I am sure he doesn't care about that either. I also don't think that Charlie really cares about winning games either, I don't think that had anything to do with his decision as I am pretty sure if you were to give him a choice of A. win games and get a limited number of catches, or B. lose and be the feature WR with a lot of targets and catches, he would choose B all day long. He may not even do anything great on special teams this year either because it doesn't appear that Purdue places the emphasis on that, but at the end of the day he will have game film of his receiving and returning abilities to go into the combine, and thus stake a claim for a Wes Welker/Julian Edelman/Cooper Kupp type player that you can do a lot of things with. He wasn't going to get that here, and honestly, he wasn't going to get it at Purdue either until that other WR got kicked off the team.

So my take is, good for Charlie, but I don't like him, is irrelevant to me and Iowa will be just fine without him.

GMAFB. There's no way you actually believe that drivel. That's the sourest of sour grapes. If your interpretation is that he was wide open all game due to defensive breakdowns, but also couldn't get many YAC, you are just seeing what you want to see. He did everything to help his team win, including making a really great full-extension catch, in traffic, taking a hit afterwards, on 3rd down that SHOULD have sealed the game if not for his incompetent coaching staff. And there was nothing about last night's game to indicate that PU is going to suck this year. They lost a tough one, but looked very much like they did last year when they won 9 games and beat the f** out of us.

You people trying to make it sound like we're not going to miss CJ this year and that he made a big mistake transferring just because his team lost last night just need to stop.
It's the classic "good riddance, we didn't want him anyway" Iowa homer response - Charlie Jones made Brian Ferentz and his understudies look like goddamn morons with last nights performance.

Losing Charlie is a loss for Iowa, there is no other way to put it. And, it was the right decision for Charlie for his future because he would never be targeted 18 times or whatever it was in this offense. Of course I don't agree with the timing of his transfer and for that I will not consider him a great Hawkeye, but, I am sure he doesn't care about that either. I also don't think that Charlie really cares about winning games either, I don't think that had anything to do with his decision as I am pretty sure if you were to give him a choice of A. win games and get a limited number of catches, or B. lose and be the feature WR with a lot of targets and catches, he would choose B all day long. He may not even do anything great on special teams this year either because it doesn't appear that Purdue places the emphasis on that, but at the end of the day he will have game film of his receiving and returning abilities to go into the combine, and thus stake a claim for a Wes Welker/Julian Edelman/Cooper Kupp type player that you can do a lot of things with. He wasn't going to get that here, and honestly, he wasn't going to get it at Purdue either until that other WR got kicked off the team.

So my take is, good for Charlie, but I don't like him, is irrelevant to me and Iowa will be just fine without him.
I would also choose option B.

And it's not like they won't win games - they took 9 W's last season, so, I'd gladly take that if it meant more personal success and exposure.

recent history in the purdue series would indicate this is not true
It means a lot more this year. 2 players end up transferring to the same in-conference school will definitely make for hard feelings, especially when one left after spring. There was definitely some taking going on.

I would also choose option B.

And it's not like they won't win games - they took 9 W's last season, so, I'd gladly take that if it meant more personal success and exposure.
For my future, I would too, I don't disagree with you at all. But I am an Iowa fan, not a Charlie Jones fan, so my selfish perspective as a fan is that I want players to root for that are team first guys.

As far as Purdue winning games, I am not a prophet so I don't know what they will or won't do. But, what is factual is that throwing the ball as much as they do and not even attempting to run at times will directly lead to diminished quality of play of the defense as the game goes on. It was kind of predictible that when Penn State went uptempo at the end of the game it was lights out. Purdue was gassed. It will happen again.

Reactions: Jprimus and BBHawk
Getting 15 targets a game will not translate into anything for the next level. Could he make a team because of his return abilities and to be a 4-5 receiver - sure. He will not be among the first 10 receivers drafted.

Reactions: BBHawk
I'm wondering why we need to choose between having an exciting and effective passing offense and losing to Penn State (like Purdue last night) and having a boring and ineffective passing offense and beating Penn State (like Iowa last year). Maybe we can keep what is good about the current team that has lead to our success the past few years while simultaneously improving our biggest weaknesses like our passing game to help us win more games and recruit more talent at the receiver and quarterback positions?

Also, it's always talked about how difficult our offense is to learn for new incoming players which is why it takes so long for talent to see the field, but opposing teams' defenses usually have about a week to prepare for it and don't seem to have a problem learning enough about it to stop it effectively.
Because while Purdue's pass offense is effective at times, they had zero run game, which showed with their inability to seal the deal late.

Reactions: BBHawk
Because while Purdue's pass offense is effective at times, they had zero run game, which showed with their inability to seal the deal late.
This and, as noted, the defense ends up on 5he field a lot. If a team doesn't have the depth for it (and Purdue definitely doesn't), it could mean the difference at the end of the game.

Agree, he's now in an offense that's exciting and utilizes their receivers. One can only dream we could have an offense like Purdue. Love it when Iowa goes up tempo w/ an empty back field and slings it. You can tell the opposing D's are like wtf? Unfortunately we rarely do it. Iowa could surprise so many teams if they opened it up. We better beat Purdue this year!
Slinging the ball is too sexy....

Many snarky comments on this board regarding Charlie, but he looked excellent last night.

It's the classic "good riddance, we didn't want him anyway" Iowa homer response - Charlie Jones made Brian Ferentz and his understudies look like goddamn morons with last nights performance.
Nah ... we would have wanted him. But riddance all the same ... the dude is dead to me (and to many other fans).

If you watched last year, it was obvious that the "star was rising" for both Keagan Johnson and Arland Bruce. Furthermore, LaPorta decided to stick around.

Charlie's decision seemed to reflect that he wouldn't get enough touches given the fact that Iowa doesn't pass a ton AND the fact that there were other guys whom the QBs seemed to trust as much as him. Probably, if we're being honest, it really was probably a vote of "no confidence" for Spencer ... so that kinda indicates to me the sort of teammate the guy is.

Lastly, for folks who try to make this an issue about Brian ... Brian is not the guy who was targeting the WRs. So a significant component here is the trust and chemistry that guys were building with the QBs (like Spencer). It's pretty obvious that some guys (like Tracy and Jones) may have been more apt to throw Spencer under the bus ... whereas some of the young up and comers simply attempted to take care of what they could (their own play). Consequently, is it surprising that Arland and Keagan were targeted more as the season progressed?

If Charlie actually would have managed to seize the top WR spot at Iowa ... and then have a productive year for Iowa. That would stick out to pro-scouts every bit as much as having an even more productive year at Purdue. The scouts are dumb ... they understand that if a guy does big things at Iowa ... then it makes their accomplishments all the more impressive. On top of that, Kirk's connections could have helped open doors for him too.

Reactions: BBHawk and F5n5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT