ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Jones

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
I just looked at the 2022 Purdue roster. It lists 15 WR’s. Charley’s rationale for transferring seemed to be to demonstrate his receiving skills. Even for a school like Purdue that throws the ball a lot, how many catches will he realistically get? That’s a lot of bodies competing for limited touches. Yes, they will be getting an elite kick returner but I still wonder what he was thinking.

I just looked at the 2022 Purdue roster. It lists 15 WR’s. Charley’s rationale for transferring seemed to be to demonstrate his receiving skills. Even for a school like Purdue that throws the ball a lot, how many catches will he realistically get? That’s a lot of bodies competing for limited touches. Yes, they will be getting an elite kick returner but I still wonder what he was thinking.
Purdue's number 4 and 5 WR's last year had 36 and 30 catches for 350 and 450 yards. Without Bell, you have to think the ball gets spread more. If he's worth a nickel at WR, he could be in line 5 catches a game.

I wonder if it has more to do with has transpired here than what transpired at Purdue. Being since it is obvious that something had to have happened as to why Charlie transferred after spring ball the question is what it was. It could be that Wright was suspended, but, that doesn't seem likely because he would also have to factor in the incoming transfers and depth chart. Even though Tracy and his friend O'Connell are there, there is no way he intimately knows what is going on in that program as much as it he did here at Iowa. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that he wouldn't get playing time here either, or that it was going to be diminished, or that he wouldn't start, or any of those things. There is nothing new there since the end of the season, and if anything, you would think he would have gotten more attention being since Tracy transferred and there is no obvious newcomer on the roster.

One thing that it could be and I haven't seen anyone mention it, is that maybe after spring ball there they realized our RB room is much, much better than it has been in the past and that KF has put the hammer down and said we are going to run the ball, a lot, and get back to a true run-first play-action offense. In recent years we haven't had that because we have not had a back that has been reliable to get 4-5 yards a carry (Goodson, IKM and Wadley) and probably all were up there in leading the conference in tackles for loss. There is no doubt KF would love to have a big back like Braelon Allen and I wonder if they have that now in Johnson even though right now he may not be as heavy. Know that true freshman RB's have a long history of producing. So I wonder if the KF wants to run the ball 50 times a game this year with 4 backs, feature a lot of 2 TE sets and play-action to the downfield threats with KJ and AB.

So maybe it wasn't as much that Purdue was a much better place, it was that he saw really no consistent opportunity here and that maybe at Purdue he can catch a pass or two a game. Maybe it is all a positive thing. It all makes sense to me; elite defense, elite TE, stable of RB's with multiple skill sets, non-running QB with big arm, limited edge receivers, great punter. So I would say if Petras has to throw more than 20-25 times per game that will not be ideal, with 15-18 of those going to TE's and RB's.

I wonder if it has more to do with has transpired here than what transpired at Purdue. Being since it is obvious that something had to have happened as to why Charlie transferred after spring ball the question is what it was. It could be that Wright was suspended, but, that doesn't seem likely because he would also have to factor in the incoming transfers and depth chart. Even though Tracy and his friend O'Connell are there, there is no way he intimately knows what is going on in that program as much as it he did here at Iowa. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that he wouldn't get playing time here either, or that it was going to be diminished, or that he wouldn't start, or any of those things. There is nothing new there since the end of the season, and if anything, you would think he would have gotten more attention being since Tracy transferred and there is no obvious newcomer on the roster.

One thing that it could be and I haven't seen anyone mention it, is that maybe after spring ball there they realized our RB room is much, much better than it has been in the past and that KF has put the hammer down and said we are going to run the ball, a lot, and get back to a true run-first play-action offense. In recent years we haven't had that because we have not had a back that has been reliable to get 4-5 yards a carry (Goodson, IKM and Wadley) and probably all were up there in leading the conference in tackles for loss. There is no doubt KF would love to have a big back like Braelon Allen and I wonder if they have that now in Johnson even though right now he may not be as heavy. Know that true freshman RB's have a long history of producing. So I wonder if the KF wants to run the ball 50 times a game this year with 4 backs, feature a lot of 2 TE sets and play-action to the downfield threats with KJ and AB.

So maybe it wasn't as much that Purdue was a much better place, it was that he saw really no consistent opportunity here and that maybe at Purdue he can catch a pass or two a game. Maybe it is all a positive thing. It all makes sense to me; elite defense, elite TE, stable of RB's with multiple skill sets, non-running QB with big arm, limited edge receivers, great punter. So I would say if Petras has to throw more than 20-25 times per game that will not be ideal, with 15-18 of those going to TE's and RB's.
You’re working really hard to explain this. The simpler explanation is that the Iowa offense is terrible and the Iowa QB is worse.

Iowa’s roster lists 14 receivers. Not much difference

Your simple explanation doesn't really make any sense because if that were the case, wouldn't he have left when Tracy did?
Jones wants to play in a dynamic offense that will push the ball downfield via the pass first vs Iowa’s bland/vanilla offense which is run oriented and will look to throw the ball off of play action pass, mostly to the tight end since the current qb doesn’t know how to incorporate wide open wide receivers into the offense.

Iowa had guys wide open vs Kentucky in the bowl game and the current qb couldn’t see them or when he did, couldn’t get them the ball. I’d transfer too if that’s the best option at the position.

I’d like his chances of averaging more than 1.5 catches a game at Purdue. Purdue will know how to utilize his receiving skill set.

Well, if Purdue is touching him...i hope he files a complaint and sues them.
dab60ea2-1b83-437e-a3dd-6fb41d51d61b_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: K OKeefe and BBHawk
I think Charlie is a simple answer. $$$$$$$$. Hard to blame the guy. Probably the priority quality of the greener grass he saw at Purdue. Plus, Charlie has shown a bit of wanderlust.

Jones wants to play in a dynamic offense that will push the ball downfield via the pass first vs Iowa’s bland/vanilla offense which is run oriented and will look to throw the ball off of play action pass, mostly to the tight end since the current qb doesn’t know how to incorporate wide open wide receivers into the offense.

Iowa had guys wide open vs Kentucky in the bowl game and the current qb couldn’t see them or when he did, couldn’t get them the ball. I’d transfer too if that’s the best option at the position.
I tend to agree that this opinion (inept QB in a run-first team) makes the most sense, especially when considering Petras' bowl debacle, but it still doesn't explain the post-Spring practice timing of his decision. I suspect O'Connell will be a key figure when more of the transfer story is told.

..... In any event. the Hawkeyes have 3 sollid and experienced WRs and a 1st Team All Big Ten TE candidate as well. The passing game has the potential to be explosive, just need an average B10 QB to step up and get them the ball.... unfortunately, Petras is one of the worst QBs among all P5 schools.

They have no collective set up.
Do they need one or could Lucas Oil just agree to sponsor 40 or 50 players? I really do not know the answer. Given the recency of NIL and what I at least perceive to be ambiguity of the governing law or rules money will find a way into the business of professional collegiate athletics. Money always finds a way.

Do they need one or could Lucas Oil just agree to sponsor 40 or 50 players? I really do not know the answer. Given the recency of NIL and what I at least perceive to be ambiguity of the governing law or rules money will find a way into the business of professional collegiate athletics. Money always finds a way.
That's a great question. Idk that Purdue has a major company owner that dumps money into Purdue sports like Oregon has Nike though. Maybe the new 75 mil Rolls-Royce Purdue facility will give every Purdue athlete a Rolls-Royce?

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
That's a great question. Idk that Purdue has a major company owner that dumps money into Purdue sports like Oregon has Nike though. Maybe the new 75 mil Rolls-Royce Purdue facility will give every Purdue athlete a Rolls-Royce?
That would definitely attract kids!

🙂

Reactions: BoilerN
Seems like a HUGE conflict of interest to play games in Indy if they're paying players!!

I tend to agree that this opinion (inept QB in a run-first team) makes the most sense, especially when considering Petras' bowl debacle, but it still doesn't explain the post-Spring practice timing of his decision. I suspect O'Connell will be a key figure when more of the transfer story is told.

..... In any event. the Hawkeyes have 3 sollid and experienced WRs and a 1st Team All Big Ten TE candidate as well. The passing game has the potential to be explosive, just need an average B10 QB to step up and get them the ball.... unfortunately, Petras is one of the worst QBs among all P5 schools.
I've got no inside info, but I wonder if part of it was waiting to see how the qb position would play out in spring ball. I didn't for a second buy the "open competition" line as the deck is always stacked to favor KF's preferred incumbent. But maybe Charley truly thought there was a chance to see meaningful change both in the offensive game plan and qb position. Instead, turns out to be more of the same. Easy to understand wanting to move on IF that was the scenario.

Don't really care because I think Iowa will make it a point to light him up on return game/any other touches he gets.

Add in that CJ stayed till Spring to see if the O would be any better\different. As we all say in Spring was that our QB's did not perform above average and it looked, well, like Iowa of the past 20 years. I would bet CJ was in talks with Tracy prior to Spring ball, Tracy probably was in his ear a lot and after a horrid Spring ball, CJ was done with BarF and the flaccid O.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Add in that CJ stayed till Spring to see if the O would be any better\different. As we all say in Spring was that our QB's did not perform above average and it looked, well, like Iowa of the past 20 years. I would bet CJ was in talks with Tracy prior to Spring ball, Tracy probably was in his ear a lot and after a horrid Spring ball, CJ was done with BarF and the flaccid O.
Did I miss it where Jones thanked all the Hawk fans????

I've got no inside info, but I wonder if part of it was waiting to see how the qb position would play out in spring ball. I didn't for a second buy the "open competition" line as the deck is always stacked to favor KF's preferred incumbent. But maybe Charley truly thought there was a chance to see meaningful change both in the offensive game plan and qb position. Instead, turns out to be more of the same. Easy to understand wanting to move on IF that was the scenario.
I'm inclined to agree that Jones was waiting to see how the spring practice played out. I'm not inclined, however, to agree with the tired, old narrative about KF always going with the more established players. Within the past few years at QB we've seen CJB supplant Rudock, Stanley pass Wiegers, and Petras pass Mansell. Last season we saw two true freshmen become starters at WR over established, third-year juniors. It would be a sad situation if no one could surpass an unimproved Petras, but that really may have been the case.

My care for his success, or desire to waste more brain space on this kid than this post is non-existant. One of the most egregiously egocentric and distasteful transfers in the era of this craziness.

If he doesn’t get a payday at the next level, or have family wealth/biz…man, is explaining his education hip scotch is going to interesting for him when seeking initial employment. It’s quite, quite revealing …. And not in a good way for exhibiting honest and ethical behavior

My care for his success, or desire to waste more brain space on this kid than this post is non-existant. One of the most egregiously egocentric and distasteful transfers in the era of this craziness.

If he doesn’t get a payday at the next level, or have family wealth/biz…man, is explaining his education hip scotch is going to interesting for him when seeking initial employment. It’s quite, quite revealing …. And not in a good way for exhibiting honest and ethical behavior
It's the current trend and does happen in business, especially in today's market with 11 million+ open jobs. Folks are hopping from one job to another and getting more pay and better benefits.

Weird, isn't it, that you think Jones left because Iowa stays with the "preferred incumbent" but Charlie was behind 2 underclassmen. Yup, newbies just don't get a chance, do they?

😉

ADVERTISEMENT