ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Jones Week 3: 179 Yards, TD

james van der beek loser GIF

Purdue 1-2, Iowa 1-1. Should be 2-1 after tonight. And spare me the schedule argument, you play who’s in front of you.

Purdue 1-2, Iowa 1-1. Should be 2-1 after tonight. And spare me the schedule argument, you play who’s in front of you.
This isn’t really an Iowa vs Purdue argument. It’s about us losing our top offensive talent because either we either didn’t know how to use him, didn’t have the capacity to, or couldn’t identify his talent. Most likely a combination of the above.

Purdue being 1-2 is not a justification for us losing Jones. If anything, that makes it worse.

Dumb argument is dumb, they played a ranked Big Ten opponnent (PSU) and a Power 5 opponnent on the road. Iowa would be 1-2 with that schedule as well. In the end they are both middling Big Ten West division teams that will end up around .500. Doesn't make the point that Iowa got the least out of him infuriating.

Doesn't matter what your take is, or how you feel about Jones or Purdue Football, his success is a horrible look for the Hawkeye program, and will likely keep WR recruits from visiting Iowa---until something clearly changes in a big way.

Nothing we can say or do about it.
Correct. Especially when he was buried on the depth chart behind guys like Nico Ragini.

This isn’t really an Iowa vs Purdue argument. It’s about us losing our top offensive talent because either we either didn’t know how to use him, didn’t have the capacity to, or couldn’t identify his talent. Most likely a combination of the above.

Purdue being 1-2 is not a justification for us losing Jones. If anything, that makes it worse.
Correct.

I’m happy for Charlie for improving his situation and don’t fault him in the least.

It’s really no different than any of us in our given careers. We have confidence in ourselves and our abilities, yet work for a lousy manager who either fails to see - or is unwilling to utilize - our talents and delegates to us relatively mundane responsibilities. We work hard in spite of the slog until a competitor gets word of our situation and offers us a position that gives an opportunity to shine and reach our potential. It’s a breath of fresh air and we are now able to maximize our earning potential.

Spread your wings and fly, Charlie Jones.

Interesting thing is, our wide receivers coaches must be doing a good job. They helped turn Jones into a quality receiver.

That also means this is 100% on the coaches and QB.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Jones is averaging more yards per game than our entire offense. The fact that we couldn’t figure out how to use this guy is insane.

Also side note, the ESPN announcers today really made it sound like Purdue tampered to get him.
I could care less what Jones does. He is a boliermaker

Reactions: iowaathletes
The fact Purdue's coaches continue to find new levels of ineptitude, yet still manage to pull more out of a player than the Iowa staff could ever dream of speaks volumes about the Iowa staff...
I don't disagree with you on that point. I still say he is a loser because he abandoned his teammates in late May after spring practice. That's like divorcing your pregnant wife at 8 months because you found a new hot chick in a different city. It's all about the timing ... he should have transferred after the first semester.

I don't disagree with you on that point. I still say he is a loser because he abandoned his teammates in late May after spring practice. That's like divorcing your pregnant wife at 8 months because you found a new hot chick in a different city. It's all about the timing ... he should have transferred after the first semester.
He wasn't wanted anywhere, including Purdue, until they lost several WRs. But the fact he would bail when he did says A LOT more about the character of Charlie Jones than it does our staff or team.

Not even close

Charlie is what I thought he was… a really good possession receiver. The way that the Purdue system works is nearly ideal for his skillset.

Purdue is confounding because the Brohm era has been middling, but they definitely exploit IOWA’s schemes as well as any school. That said, they lose by making terrible mistakes and playing sloppy football, which is crazy for a team that implements a precision passing attack.

That said, if Charlie was so good, why didn’t Aidan lure him directly from Buffalo? IOWA gave him a chance and he only left after training at IOWA through the spring. For this reason, I wish he and Purdue no luck.

Charlie is what I thought he was… a really good possession receiver. The way that the Purdue system works is nearly ideal for his skillset.

Purdue is confounding because the Brohm era has been middling, but they definitely exploit IOWA’s schemes as well as any school. That said, they lose by making terrible mistakes and playing sloppy football, which is crazy for a team that implements a precision passing attack.

That said, if Charlie was so good, why didn’t Aidan lure him directly from Buffalo? IOWA gave him a chance and he only left after training at IOWA through the spring. For this reason, I wish he and Purdue no luck.
Hard not to like Aidan. He don’t seem like a douche like others on the team and the staff.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT