ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Jones Week 3: 179 Yards, TD

BustingNarratives said:
I don't disagree with you on that point. I still say he is a loser because he abandoned his teammates in late May after spring practice. That's like divorcing your pregnant wife at 8 months because you found a new hot chick in a different city. It's all about the timing ... he should have transferred after the first semester.

hawkeyebob62

He wasn't wanted anywhere, including Purdue, until they lost several WRs. But the fact he would bail when he did says A LOT more about the character of Charlie Jones than it does our staff or team.

You are both right

Jones is averaging more yards per game than our entire offense. The fact that we couldn’t figure out how to use this guy is insane.

Also side note, the ESPN announcers today really made it sound like Purdue tampered to get him.
Ya know, seriously who cares about this guy any more. He’s not like any previous player the Iowa fan base has revered. Loyalty and integrity are low, but sure is an egocentric dude, snd still a real long shot to play in the NFL, or even a bowl game in the future .

of course you can continue to beat the dead horse for a guy that couldn’t beat out Bruce, Ragani, or a healthy Johnson.

Really? Hire well did they utilize him, how well have they been recruiting on offense?
He in a system that puts up numbers. The guys he couldn’t beat out at Iowa would have big #s in a scheme like Purdue’s as well…and maybe, probably better

• Haha
Reactions: sellarsd
He in a system that puts up numbers. The guys he couldn’t beat out at Iowa would have big #s in a scheme like Purdue’s as well…and maybe, probably better
Why wouldn’t we want system that utilizes those guys, that puts up points, takes pressure off of the defense.

Has anyone asked Ferments a direct question about how and why he thinks Jones has emerged and what that says about their ability to evaluate? Jones being buried behind both Ragani and Bruce is a fireable offense alone.

I still think his best chance to make it in the pros is as a k/p returner and he's not doing that at Purdue. Obviously he'll get his shot at the NFL but I think he'd be better off by showcasing his return skills.

And a Purdue loss to a not so good Syracuse team. Congrats on the numbers Charlie...sorry about the second straight loss to a mediocre team.

Jones is averaging more yards per game than our entire offense. The fact that we couldn’t figure out how to use this guy is insane.

Also side note, the ESPN announcers today really made it sound like Purdue tampered to get him.
And a Purdue loss to a not so good Syracuse team. Congrats on the numbers Charlie...sorry about the second straight loss to a mediocre team.
Penn State mediocre? Hmmmmmm. Purdue’s losses to teams combined 6-0.

Again, way to not utilize what we have
I think they DID utilize Jones - that's why you and others are upset he left. If you're asking why didn't they utilize him too much, well that's because he was again the 4th best guy on a 10-win team. You get what you earn.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
I think they DID utilize Jones - that's why you and others are upset he left. If you're asking why didn't they utilize him too much, well that's because he was again the 4th best guy on a 10-win team. You get what you earn.
Then what was wrong with the offense last year

Do you really think Arland Bruce and Nico Ragaini are bigger downfield threats than Charlie Jones? No way, imo.

The guy can take the top off the defense, and for one reason or another we failed to utilize that last year.

It speaks to systemic issues with our offense.

The problem wasn't not knowing how to use Jones, but not having a QB who could get him (or anyone else) the ball consistently.

It's also worth noting that as a super senior, Charlie has had a lot of time to refine his skills. He's the same age as ISM and Brandon Smith.
The performance of Charlie Jones at Purdue is a total indictment of KF & BF. And to think, he could not climb above second team after Spring Practice even with Keegan Johnson out. Good business decision by Charlie. Hope the Hawks defeat Purdue, but also hope Charlie rubs it in the nose of KF & BF. Those two could have the best 4 WRs in the country and would be clueless on how to get them the ball. The ineptness of scheming to get the ball to playmakers by BF is beyond comprehension. And to think you have a 3 year starter at QB.

Do you really think Arland Bruce and Nico Ragaini are bigger downfield threats than Charlie Jones? No way, imo.

The guy can take the top off the defense, and for one reason or another we failed to utilize that last year.

It speaks to systemic issues with our offense.
I have never met a coach, and was a college athlete in a different sport at Iowa, that would purposefully and willfully play an inferior player before a superior player, for NO good reason. It's never good when a contributor leaves the program, but let's keep it in check. He was a contributor, not a game changer!

I loved the Padilla/Jones connection for the short time that it lasted. You don't have to have the body of Calvin Johnson to be a successful NFL receiver. You just need to be agile, fast, and have great hands. Charlie finds a way to separate and catches everything that hits his hands. If Cole Beasley can spend 10 years in the league, Charlie can make some money too. It's a shame that Brian couldn't use him and Petras couldn't find him. Dude is always open for easy yards.

I don't disagree with you on that point. I still say he is a loser because he abandoned his teammates in late May after spring practice. That's like divorcing your pregnant wife at 8 months because you found a new hot chick in a different city. It's all about the timing ... he should have transferred after the first semester.
Ummm....Picture of hot chick??

Jones is better than any receiver we currently have on our team. KF and Brian are clueless as how to utilize talent. Gee why do we have the worst offense in FBS? We have no deep threat, and don’t say Brecht is because we threw a couple deep balls against the worst team in all of football. From here on out we will be playing in a phone booth because our QB sucks, and our receivers are average at best, and likely wouldn’t see the field for other teams. Last but not least KF still thinks it’s 1985, and Brian looks like he’s holding in the dump of a lifetime in the sidelines.

• Haha
Reactions: blhawk
I have never met a coach, and was a college athlete in a different sport at Iowa, that would purposefully and willfully play an inferior player before a superior player, for NO good reason. It's never good when a contributor leaves the program, but let's keep it in check. He was a contributor, not a game changer!
He was a contributor because dumb and dumber didn’t utilize him. I recall a pretty big kickoff return to spark us against Illinois in Kinnick last year, kind of changed the game didn’t it? Also had a pretty big catch on a deep ball against Minnesota in Kinnick as well.

Jones is better than any receiver we currently have on our team. KF and Brian are clueless as how to utilize talent. Gee why do we have the worst offense in FBS? We have no deep threat, and don’t say Brecht is because we threw a couple deep balls against the worst team in all of football. From here on out we will be playing in a phone booth because our QB sucks, and our receivers are average at best, and likely wouldn’t see the field for other teams. Last but not least KF still thinks it’s 1985, and Brian looks like he’s holding in the dump of a lifetime in the sidelines.
He gone. Who cares. His team is 1-2. Act like douches and it causes them to lose.

Reactions: iowaathletes
A game changer changes a game you would lose in to one you win. Like Chuck Sizzle did for us against Illinois, and to a lesser extent Minnesota. He is definitely a game changer. So both of our game changers from last year have either transferred or have been hurt all year.

He was a contributor because dumb and dumber didn’t utilize him. I recall a pretty big kickoff return to spark us against Illinois in Kinnick last year, kind of changed the game didn’t it? Also had a pretty big catch on a deep ball against Minnesota in Kinnick as well.

Jones actually had two big catches on deep passes against Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT