ADVERTISEMENT

Charter bus stolen during baseball game

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
he Carroll Kuemper baseball team lost their charter bus for a short time last night.

The vehicle, a white 2000 motor coach bus, was stolen from the parking lot of 915 N. 21st St. just before 9:30 p.m., according to a press release from the Council Bluffs Police Department.
The driver, identified as Jamar Hill, was taken into custody without incident. He was charged on accusations of first degree theft and driving while disqualified.
The bus had been chartered by Carroll Kuemper for a baseball game being played at Council Bluffs Thomas Jefferson's Baseball Field. The bus was returned to the correct driver.

Those damn Catholics are at it again. What it is it with these religious nuts, leaving the keys in the motor coach so Jamar would take the fall? Off with their heads! LOL!

Now that takes some serious stones, although he was probably just high. I'll just take this charter bus, no one will notice!!

Reactions: cigaretteman
seinfeld-kramer.gif

1st rule when driving a school (or charter) bus on any trip is never leave the bus without the keys.

It would seem like common sense...

I'd also like to know which charter company the driver, you know...no longer drives for.
You know how hard it is to hire bus drivers? That mofo got a stern, "don't do that again, now go pick up the kids at this school" 😀

Probably their first time in the big city. They will learn from this.

I kinda doubt it.

Being a school bus driver, I go on trips galore, all over eastern Iowa. Many trips are events with multiple schools attending. So, I've met several charter drivers thru the years.

Many of those drivers drive all over the Midwest, from small town Iowa to Big City Anywhere. The hours can be horribly long and you literally could have a trip from anywhere to anywhere nowadays.

Lots schools need drivers, from the smallest to the biggest districts.

They must be easy to steal. I often see them parked with another vehicle parked to block the door from opening.

I kinda doubt it.

Being a school bus driver, I go on trips galore, all over eastern Iowa. Many trips are events with multiple schools attending. So, I've met several charter drivers thru the years.

Many of those drivers drive all over the Midwest, from small town Iowa to Big City Anywhere. The hours can be horribly long and you literally could have a trip from anywhere to anywhere nowadays.

Lots schools need drivers, from the smallest to the biggest districts.
I always see the buses during games, running the whole time, with the drivers inside.
Why don't they ever just turn off the bus, lock it up, and come into the game? Are there some kind of rules that the driver needs to stay with the bus, and keep it running, at all times? Always seemed weird to me.

I always see the buses during games, running the whole time, with the drivers inside.
Why don't they ever just turn off the bus, lock it up, and come into the game? Are there some kind of rules that the driver needs to stay with the bus, and keep it running, at all times? Always seemed weird to me.

That's what I do. I bet I watched 30 or so games this summer...so many that I brought my fancy GCI rocker chair with me on trips. I actually got to know a bunch of the parents across several squads I was watching the teams that often.

During summer, there's no reason to run the engine unless you got an AC equipped bus (and choose to not attend the event in any fashion). Winter though, I have had some trips where I ran the bus roughly half the time just to keep it somewhat warm when the kids return.

But I have a saying when it comes to school bus drivers. 40 drivers, 40 different ways of doing things. Most school drivers are retired, and you simply cannot ever tell them anything when it comes to doing their job. And most drivers are "I drive the bus, period" types who make zero attempt at all to interact with the kids/events on the trips.

I'm on a field trip as I type. Non sports...bunch of K-2 graders. I'll go check them out in a bit. I can hear them screaming as I type so they're no doubt having a blast 🤪

ADVERTISEMENT