ADVERTISEMENT

Cheap Eyeglasses

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
So I got an eye exam yesterday and my local shop just had a lot of 'trendy' frames in the shop. They all looked like things I wore back in the 80's. Lot's of "ironic" engineer type frames that you made fun of your dad for wearing 30 years ago. Lady tried to sell me some big Sally Jessy Raphael type frames. All I wanted were more lightweight rimless frames. They don't carry those anymore, they're not hip enough. I'm 53. Anyway, she's ordering some for me to look at next week that look more like my old pair.
So when I got home I went online and googled around and Forbes had a list of best sites to order inexpensive glasses. I just ordered a pair of progressives for $135. The frames were about $35, the lenses $89 and then some other add on crap. Even if they suck I'll have a back up pair. I picked a pair with the same measurements from my old pair so I know they'll fit.

When the lady calls from the optometrist's shop and I go in to buy a "good pair" I'll spend three times that much. Insurance will cover most of it, but it's still a huge rip off. I used EyeBuyDirect this time. I've used Zinni in the past but I didn't like any of their frames.

CSB

I'm the only one in my family that doesn't wear glasses, and it does aggravate me a little bit when they drop $350 on frames because "that's what they had." If you want to spend $350 get three pairs.

It's a well established scam/monopoly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT