ADVERTISEMENT

Cheney joins Dems on Jan. 6 probe, defying McCarthy threat

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Speaker Nancy Pelosi has chosen GOP Rep. Liz Cheney to join the Democrat-led investigation of the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, a rare cross-aisle elevation of one of Donald Trump's most prominent conservative critics.

The select committee on the insurrection will be led by Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), who had previously crafted a bipartisan plan to establish an outside commission to lead the probe into the Jan. 6 violence. After Senate Republicans blocked the investigation, leading Pelosi and her Democrats to establish their own panel, which won just two Republicans on the floor on Wednesday.

Cheney, one of only two GOP votes for the select panel, has already seen her leadership credentials revoked after she publicly blamed Trump for inciting violence at the Capitol. Now, she could face more repercussions for accepting Pelosi’s appointment, with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy privately warning some GOP members that they could lose their committee assignments if they serve on the panel at Pelosi’s request, according to multiple Republican sources.
Click to shrink...
McCarthy said Thursday he is "not making any threats" about committee placement but added that he knows of no cases where a Republican “would get their assignments from the speaker."

“I was shocked that she would accept something from Speaker Pelosi,” he said of Cheney, adding she might be closer to Pelosi “than us.”

Cheney was unfazed following a meeting in Pelosi's office with the other select panel members. She signaled she had not talked with McCarthy or been told she would lose her committee assignment.

"It’s very clear to me, as I’ve said, my oath and my duty is above partisanship and I expect Leader McCarthy to have the same view,” she said.
Click to shrink...
"What happened on January 6th can never happen again," Cheney said in a statement confirming she would accept Pelosi's offer. "Those who are responsible for the attack need to be held accountable and this select committee will fulfill that responsibility in a professional, expeditious, and non-partisan manner."

Glad Cheney is on the panel, as she wants to get the truth and seems to be holding onto a lot of anger, which is a good thing.

Sadly the title of the article is not accurate, as she didn't deny the threat because those cowards already took her committee assignment.

No they took her leadership post. She's still on the Armed Serviced Committee.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Liz is playing the long game. She thinks that she will be Speaker some day, and that Kevin is going to take a hard fall when Trump is finally ousted from the GOP. She also seems to be one of the rare Republicans who cares about the country, and the Constitution.

McCarthy wants MAGA to beat up more cops and destroy more buildings

McCarthy doesn't want to support this investigation but I understand that he has commissioned Devin Nunes to investigate Tucker Carlson's claim that the "deep state" has been spying on him. lol

jfc

GQP's priorities are all messed up. They have gone completely insane and don't know how to govern, just circle the wagons when needed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrew...r-carlsons-nsa-spying-claims/?sh=1216f5d92d05

Reactions: TheCainer
I'm good with this. If it ends up being a partisan sham, then people will believe her when she says it. If not, then we'll know it was not a sham.

Is it partisan to conclude that Trump played a role in instigating the insurrection? Is it partisan to conclude that Trump voters were the individuals who stormed the Capitol building and assaulted peace officers? Is is partisan to conclude that members of Congress played a role in supporting those instigators?

If truth = partisan, we’re not in a real good place.

Reactions: TheCainer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT