ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati Reds to meet in 2022 Field of Dreams game

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Major League Baseball is returning to its specially constructed diamond in Dyersville in 2022. This time, it's bringing another team from Chicago and the other team from the infamous 1919 World Series.

The Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati Reds will meet on Aug. 11, 2022 in an MLB game near the field from the 1989 movie "Field of Dreams." A baseball source with knowledge of the situation confirmed the news to the Des Moines Register Monday night. NBC Chicago first reported the news of the teams playing.

It'll be the second time two major league teams come to Dyersville for a regular season game on a Thursday night. The Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees met for a nationally televised thriller last Thursday. The game featured a touching tribute beforehand with actor Kevin Costner walking out of the cornfield and onto the field. He was followed by players from both teams.

That will certainly be a tough act to follow, but MLB plans to try it by bringing in the White Sox's crosstown rivals in the Cubs to play the Reds. The Reds were the winning team in the 1919 World Series against the White Sox. Eight members of the White Sox team that series received lifetime bans for throwing the series.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I know that the original ball field is open for visitors, although I suspect it is quite busy there now in the afterglow of the MLB game last week. Does anyone know if one were to visit the park if you are able to access the field where the MLB game was played too?

As a Cubs fan this is awesome….and also sucks because the cubbies will be SO bad next year it’s going to be an embarrassment

Reactions: cigaretteman
The Cubs will be putting out a AAA class team next year and get rewarded with the most watched regular season game on television. Manfred is a moran.
Not sure. The Cubs are not the national draw the NYY are. And the Reds are even less than the CWS.

The "newness" will be gone, too.

I would have went for a Cardinals vs Red Sox matchup if it was my decision cause I think those MLB divisions match up next year.

Nevermind, in June when they are scheduled to play...the corn wouldn't have been tall enough for the theatrics.

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I can hardly wait to watch Joey Votto go 4 for 4 with 2 home runs and 5 RBI's in that game.

Reactions: Im4Iowa
Reds? WTF. Cubs without the Cardinals in the other dugout is like watching Ali fight Gerry Cooney instead of Joe Frazier...:mad:

The Cardinals being Ali, of course... 🐦 🐦 🐦 🐦 🐦 🐦
Maybe the fans should protest by walking out & whining like pussies. Kind of like how some people did at a Norm McDonald show.

I guess I would have liked to see Cub vs Cards play that game or White Sox - Reds repeat of 1919 World Series matchup

The Cubs will be putting out a AAA class team next year and get rewarded with the most watched regular season game on television. Manfred is a moran.

As a Cubs fan this is awesome….and also sucks because the cubbies will be SO bad next year it’s going to be an embarrassment
I would imagine that this will be one of the most exciting off-seasons ever for the Cubs. They have a lot of money to spend in a year with a lot of top shelf talent available. They won't be world beaters, but I have to believe they'll attempt to be competitive.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I know that the original ball field is open for visitors, although I suspect it is quite busy there now in the afterglow of the MLB game last week. Does anyone know if one were to visit the park if you are able to access the field where the MLB game was played too?
No, they won’t let anyone near it. They started tearing down everything yesterday and they’ll rebuild it next summer.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
No, they won’t let anyone near it. They started tearing down everything yesterday and they’ll rebuild it next summer.
Rumor is that MLB wants to buy the entire property including all of the cornfields around it. Some of the stands and ammenities are temporary, so they will have to be removed, but they will most likely be replaced with permanent structures in the near future.

Makes sense. MLB can run it like the museum that it has become. People can tour the house, walk through the corn, and play on the original field. Maybe let people sit in the stands or walk out on the new field during the fall months.

Since this game will be played after the trade deadline you might be correct.

Talked to Ricketts at the game for a few minutes. Very nice and approachable. He guaranteed another WS within 102 more years. Awesome atmosphere and vibe. Just need some competitive teams and/or some super stars playing in it going fwd.

Fran and Connor McCaffrey were also there. Connor was rocking a Brooklyn Dodgers Jackie Robinson jersey.

Talked to Ricketts at the game for a few minutes. Very nice and approachable. He guaranteed another WS within 102 more years. Awesome atmosphere and vibe. Just need some competitive teams and/or some super stars playing in it going fwd.

Fran and Connor McCaffrey were also there. Connor was rocking a Brooklyn Dodgers Jackie Robinson jersey.

Reactions: rivalhawks
ADVERTISEMENT