ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot has greeted those arriving with open arms then sends them away to the suburbs

I mean, I get the courtesy of it, but is the mayor notified anytime people stay in hotels? What is required of the mayor for this? You all are acting like these people are carriers of a disease more contagious than Covid. They are just people, and they are probably safer to be around than half the Americans you are surrounded by.
I think that is simplifying it a little too much. These are 64 people who likely speak very little to 0 English with no jobs. There is no background knowledge of who they are or where exactly they are from. I would be somewhat concerned if I were the mayor. Are their kids going to show up for school today? Do some of them need medical treatments? Where are they going to get fed at? How long is the hotel supposed to house them? I mean, it's something that would be nice to somewhat prepare for. Right?

I think that is simplifying it a little too much. These are 64 people who likely speak very little to 0 English with no jobs. There is no background knowledge of who they are or where exactly they are from. I would be somewhat concerned if I were the mayor. Are their kids going to show up for school today? Do some of them need medical treatments? Where are they going to get fed at? How long is the hotel supposed to house them? I mean, it's something that would be nice to somewhat prepare for. Right?
Guess Abbott should have arranged all those things then since he shipped them up there in the first place. But none of those things are impossible to correct within the first day. At least they get to be some place comfortable while all those details are worked out.

Pffft. Ok, if this is the talking point you are going to be using then you might as well just stop.

So now you are saying that having people stay in a hotel is some huge burden on the community? Well, I guess we should just ban hotels in every city or else people might actually stay in them!

If you want to score political points by being a sanctuary city, actually be a sanctuary city. It has nothing to do with being a burden on Burr Ridge, because it's not one. But Burr Ridge, to my knowledge, is not advertising itself as a sanctuary city; Chicago is.

So here is what Chicago now has - a Mayor that in addition to all of her other failings, of which the list is long and seemingly neverending, now will push immigrants out of its border.

I'm sure this will (not) score her any political points in her re-election

If you want to score political points by being a sanctuary city, actually be a sanctuary city. It has nothing to do with being a burden on Burr Ridge, because it's not one. But Burr Ridge, to my knowledge, is not advertising itself as a sanctuary city; Chicago is.

So here is what Chicago now has - a Mayor that in addition to all of her other failings, of which the list is long and seemingly neverending, now will push immigrants out of its border.

I'm sure this will (not) score her any political points in her re-election
The amount of pretzel twisting here to try and make this some massive ordeal is amazing. Maybe if the right put this much effort to actually develop a policy they would have something to run on this fall.

But again, the issue you have is how someone is dealing with a problem, not the person who created the problem in the first place.

I also don't get the hate for Lightfoot in general. Maybe there are legit reasons. It just seems to me she hasn't done anything different than anyone else would do. She told the CPS teacher's union to GTFO. It caused two strikes, but for some reason the people on the right hate her even more for that. It's almost like it really doesn't matter what policy decisions she makes and there's something else that people hate. Oh, and an increase in crime isn't unique to Chicago and it isn't nearly as bad in Chicago as certain people would like you to believe. Chicago doesn't even rank in the top 25 cities for violent crimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: nelly02
Guess Abbott should have arranged all those things then since he shipped them up there in the first place. But none of those things are impossible to correct within the first day. At least they get to be some place comfortable while all those details are worked out.
I would assume that they have notified the sanctuary city governments when they are needed for overflow and letting them know how many are on the way. That seems to be the case as there seems to be people there to greet them when they show up. I don't know how else they would know they are coming.

The amount of pretzel twisting here to try and make this some massive ordeal is amazing. Maybe if the right put this much effort to actually develop a policy they would have something to run on this fall.

But again, the issue you have is how someone is dealing with a problem, not the person who created the problem in the first place.

I also don't get the hate for Lightfoot in general. Maybe there are legit reasons. It just seems to me she hasn't done anything different than anyone else would do. She told the CPS teacher's union to GTFO. It caused two strikes, but for some reason the people on the right hate her even more for that. It's almost like it really doesn't matter what policy decisions she makes and there's something else that people hate. Oh, and an increase in crime isn't unique to Chicago and it isn't nearly as bad in Chicago as certain people would like you to believe. Chicago doesn't even rank in the top 25 cities for violent crimes.

I get the hate for lightfoot, she brought in a totally incompetent Chief of Police and has helped him institute policies that have increased crime tremendously. She has also refused to criticize our terrible States Attorney. You can say chicago isn't among the 25 worst but crime is still awful

Reactions: schraderj
I get the hate for lightfoot, she brought in a totally incompetent Chief of Police and has helped him institute policies that have increased crime tremendously. She has also refused to criticize our terrible States Attorney. You can say chicago isn't among the 25 worst but crime is still awful
Rises in crime are due to 40 years of income inequality increasing policies from Republicans. Any time you have massive income inequality, like we do now, crime increases. It really is convenient for Republicans. Institute policies that increase income inequality and then blame the resulting rise in crime on Democrats. If crime were only increasing in Chicago, you might have a point, but crime is increasing nationwide which speaks to a larger issue, one a single city can't fix. If the crime really concerns you, then you should support policies that reduce income inequality because making people not poor is probably the fastest way to reduce crime without making your home a police state.

4eb02807ecad041778000040

main-qimg-e07640b412f3cc551759f281bb062737.webp

income-inequality-vs-crime-rate-graph.jpg

Rises in crime are due to 40 years of income inequality increasing policies from Republicans. Any time you have massive income inequality, like we do now, crime increases. It really is convenient for Republicans. Institute policies that increase income inequality and then blame the resulting rise in crime on Democrats. If crime were only increasing in Chicago, you might have a point, but crime is increasing nationwide which speaks to a larger issue, one a single city can't fix. If the crime really concerns you, then you should support policies that reduce income inequality because making people not poor is probably the fastest way to reduce crime without making your home a police state.

4eb02807ecad041778000040

main-qimg-e07640b412f3cc551759f281bb062737.webp

income-inequality-vs-crime-rate-graph.jpg

crime isnt rising in chicago because of democrats or income inequality, which has always been an issue here, its rising because of stupid policy decisions by idiotic local leaders.

crime isnt rising in chicago because of democrats or income inequality, which has always been an issue here, its rising because of stupid policy decisions by idiotic local leaders.
You are going to have to do better than "Nuh-uh, that's not what I want to believe" as your response.

You are going to have to do better than "Nuh-uh, that's not what I want to believe" as your response.

Well i talk to cops and people who work in the states attorneys office on a regular basis and ill take their word for it. When you dont punish criminals they keep acting like criminals because theres no reason to stop. And you might as well keep pushing the boundaries to see what you can get away with.

Bio's a caricature of somebody that parrots talking points from a suburb or rural area about how to address urban issues

I would assume that they have notified the sanctuary city governments when they are needed for overflow and letting them know how many are on the way. That seems to be the case as there seems to be people there to greet them when they show up. I don't know how else they would know they are coming.
I don't know how it happened so I'm not going to speculate on that. Obviously they were aware of it before the buses showed up though.

Bio's a caricature of somebody that parrots talking points from a suburb or rural area about how to address urban issues
I accept your admission of defeat on this issue since you seem to be unable to even address the actual data provided in this debate and just went to the personal attacks. Better luck next time, Bob.

I accept your admission of defeat on this issue since you seem to be unable to even address the actual data provided in this debate and just went to the personal attacks. Better luck next time, Bob.

Did income inequality begin at the advent of electing a Chief Judge, SA, Cook County Board President, and Mayor that instituted restorative justice policies? That might give you a hint that correlation <> causation

Did income inequality begin at the advent of electing a Chief Judge, SA, Cook County Board President, and Mayor that instituted restorative justice policies? That might give you a hint that correlation <> causation
Show me some evidence that has had any impact on this. You keep saying that as if it is true, but you have shown nothing that it is actually true. I shouldn't have to ask you multiple times to present evidence of a claim. For crying out loud, my own kids do this better.

Last edited:
They consented.
Who is "they". I'm assuming you mean the illegals. Their consent is irrelevant.

A federal law does exist that makes it a crime to transport or attempt to transport a noncitizen within the U.S., but it's meant to cover narrower situations than the one you are describing. The law is found within the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.), at Section 274(a)(1)(A)(ii).

In order to convict someone under this section of the law, the prosecutors would need to show that:
  • the defendant transported or attempted to transport a noncitizen within the U.S.
  • the noncitizen was in the U.S. in violation of U.S. law (as would be the case with any undocumented person)
  • the defendant was aware that the noncitizen was in the U.S. unlawfully and acted in reckless disregard of this fact, and
  • the defendant acted willfully in furtherance of the noncitizen's legal violation.

Who is "they". I'm assuming you mean the illegals. Their consent is irrelevant.

A federal law does exist that makes it a crime to transport or attempt to transport a noncitizen within the U.S., but it's meant to cover narrower situations than the one you are describing. The law is found within the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.), at Section 274(a)(1)(A)(ii).

In order to convict someone under this section of the law, the prosecutors would need to show that:
  • the defendant transported or attempted to transport a noncitizen within the U.S.
  • the noncitizen was in the U.S. in violation of U.S. law (as would be the case with any undocumented person)
  • the defendant was aware that the noncitizen was in the U.S. unlawfully and acted in reckless disregard of this fact, and
  • the defendant acted willfully in furtherance of the noncitizen's legal violation.

????

Haven't these folks been processed and allowed to stay in the country by the Biden Administration?

At that point, they can certainly consent.

Don't worry our genius VP said the southern border is secure with no illegal immigrants crossing.

I just saw a Cindy Axne ad where she said we need to secure the border.

Dems need to coordinate the propaganda a little better.

Show me some evidence that has had any impact on this. You keep saying that as if it is true, but you have shown nothing that it is actually true. I shouldn't have to ask you multiple times to present evidence of a claim. For crying out loud, my own kids do this better.

Chicago's Decades of Segregation Feed South and West Side Hardships​

Shruti Singh, Isis Almeida

8-10 minutes

The roots of Chicago's modern-day challenges with crime, joblessness and inequality lie in decades-old divides that separate Black residents from White residents, and a prosperous downtown from neighborhoods to the south and west that have long struggled economically.
About 400,000 Black Chicagoans have left the city since 1980, including many middle-class families driven away by the historic legacy of racist real estate practices that kept them from moving into certain neighborhoods, the decline of the manufacturing industry and loss of jobs, and the more recent eruption of gun violence that shattered lives.
Read more:
Chicago faces deep-seated ills in shadow of Citadel-Boeing defections

Despite being roughly 29% Black and 29% Hispanic, the city is one of the most segregated in America. Its Black and Hispanic residents are concentrated primarily in neighborhoods on its south and west sides where unemployment rates are higher and average lifespans lower than in other parts of the city. The unemployment rate in Englewood, a predominately Black South Side neighborhood, for example, is 23.5% compared with 2% in the wealthier, predominantly White neighborhood of Lakeview, according to the latest statistics.
“I see segregation as the single most detrimental factor to everything that is wrong with this city,” said Stacy Davis Gates, president of the Chicago Teachers Union.

A Tale of Two Chicagos​

Chicago’s long history of segregation has led to vast differences in crime and unemployment in its heavily Black and Hispanic south and west sides as compared with predominantly White neighborhoods in the northern part of the city.

Sources: ESRI via World Business Chicago, Chicago Police Department data as of Sept 5.

Segregation still feeds into the city's uptick in crime, school closings, food deserts, departures of Black families lacking affordable housing, and the massive investments in downtown at the expense of the South Side and West Side, Davis Gates said. Education resources, unemployment levels and other hardships need to be examined when talking about crime statistics, she said.
Davis and others point to a long history of investments in downtown Chicago that largely bypassed the city’s historically Black and Hispanic neighborhoods. During the pandemic those divides were exacerbated and became more apparent as many communities that historically already had the most disadvantages also were hardest hit by Covid-19.

Many of these same neighborhoods continue to face the highest levels of joblessness, poverty and inadequate housing, according to a
study
by the Great Cities Institute at the University of Illinois Chicago.
“These places of concentrated disadvantages are where unemployment is most concentrated and crime is most concentrated, and there is an interplay,” said Matthew Wilson, associate director for economic and workforce development at the institute. “They play off each other to create the inequities we see in the city.”

‘Our History’​

Since the 1990s, past mayors have funded projects like the $490 million Millennium Park to project the image of Chicago as a world-class city, but those investments did little to promote inclusiveness or equity. “Being a global city accentuates the gap between the rich and poor. That's true of all cities, but it shows up here,” said Dick Simpson, a professor of politics at the University of Illinois Chicago and former city alderman. “Our economic, social and political history in many ways embodies the rest of America, and in many ways is on stark display.’’
Areas in and around the city’s center, including Lakeview, Lincoln Park and the Loop scored the best on the Great Cities Institute’s index, which ranks economic hardship. Lakeview’s per capita income hovers around $74,000, while Lincoln Park and the Loop’s top $90,000, according to a snapshot of data compiled by the state of Illinois from 2016 through 2020.
Predominately Black neighborhoods on the city’s south and west sides, including Riverdale, Englewood and West Garfield Park fared the worst on the index. Per capita incomes in those three neighborhoods being $15,000 or less, according to state data.
Chicago police shooting

Police officers investigate the scene of a shooting in Chicago, on July 21, 2020.
Photographer: Kamil Krzaczynski/AFP/Getty Images
Between 2011 and 2017, Chicago’s majority-White neighborhoods received nearly five times as much private investment per household compared to majority-Black neighborhoods, and nearly three times more private investment per household than majority-Latino neighborhoods, according to a recent Urban Institute report.

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is trying to reverse the trends with her Invest South/West economic development program, announced in 2019. Investment commitments in the program could reach $2 billion by year-end, according to projections. About $1.4 billion has been committed so far and plans include bringing investments for grocery stores, health care, business incubators and transportation services to 10 neighborhoods.
“Continuing to ignore the Black community, the Brown community has been such a detriment to Chicago business, and has an impact — a domino impact — that I think the city started to see that you couldn't continue to do business as usual,” said Juan Gabriel Moreno, one of the architects behind the $8.5 billion O’Hare International Airport expansion, who is also moving his headquarters to the West Side as part of Invest South/West.

‘Reverse Migration’​

Former US Education Secretary Arne Duncan, who co-founded the anti-gun violence organization Chicago CRED (Create Real Economic Destiny), said that because violence has been largely concentrated in the Black community the city has seen a massive reverse migration of Black residents back to the South. “Families worry about their sons being killed,” he said.
“So, you got this massive reverse migration of the Black middle-class that hollows out neighborhoods and you lose those jobs and that stability, and that tax base and those community leaders, and that's funding for schools, so everything else suffers,” said Duncan, a Chicago native and resident.
Some of the problems started with the crumbling of the nation’s manufacturing industry, which hit Chicago particularly hard after the 1960s, according to a Great Cities Institute study which examined employment trends among the city’s 16-to-24-year-olds. Jobless Black and Latino youth turned to retail and service work while their White counterparts were able to find employment in higher-paying professional and related jobs downtown, according to the study.
in_trust_tout
As government leaders seek solutions, they need to remember that cities benefit not just from rich residents but people from all socio-economic levels, said Mary Pattillo, chair of the Department of African American Studies at Northwestern University. The poor pay sales taxes, renters contribute toward landlords' property levies and those with lower incomes hold various types of jobs needed throughout society, she said.

“We need to really be clear about who is valuable to cities,” Pattillo said. “Low-income folks and people of color are valuable to cities. So, we shouldn't take the idea that losing that population to gain a richer population is the best way to plan a city.”
Chicago has the infrastructure needed to recover from the pandemic, but it must invest its resources wisely to care for its most vulnerable residents, attract out-of-town companies and moreover cultivate its own businesses, said State Representative La Shawn K. Ford, who represents the west side and lives in the hard-hit Austin neighborhood.

The focus should be on schools and jobs, he said. West Side and South Side neighborhoods need high-quality schools, which will spur demand for vacant lots for housing for working-class families, Ford said. Then those families will attract businesses that create jobs to meet their needs, he added.
“If I have a job and I am able to get paid and I can take care of my family, that's dignity,” said Ford. “The crime goes away because guess what, I can get a job in my own community.”
— With assistance by Dave Merrill

Chicago's Decades of Segregation Feed South and West Side Hardships​

Shruti Singh, Isis Almeida

8-10 minutes

The roots of Chicago's modern-day challenges with crime, joblessness and inequality lie in decades-old divides that separate Black residents from White residents, and a prosperous downtown from neighborhoods to the south and west that have long struggled economically.
About 400,000 Black Chicagoans have left the city since 1980, including many middle-class families driven away by the historic legacy of racist real estate practices that kept them from moving into certain neighborhoods, the decline of the manufacturing industry and loss of jobs, and the more recent eruption of gun violence that shattered lives.
Read more:
Chicago faces deep-seated ills in shadow of Citadel-Boeing defections

Despite being roughly 29% Black and 29% Hispanic, the city is one of the most segregated in America. Its Black and Hispanic residents are concentrated primarily in neighborhoods on its south and west sides where unemployment rates are higher and average lifespans lower than in other parts of the city. The unemployment rate in Englewood, a predominately Black South Side neighborhood, for example, is 23.5% compared with 2% in the wealthier, predominantly White neighborhood of Lakeview, according to the latest statistics.
“I see segregation as the single most detrimental factor to everything that is wrong with this city,” said Stacy Davis Gates, president of the Chicago Teachers Union.

A Tale of Two Chicagos​

Chicago’s long history of segregation has led to vast differences in crime and unemployment in its heavily Black and Hispanic south and west sides as compared with predominantly White neighborhoods in the northern part of the city.

Sources: ESRI via World Business Chicago, Chicago Police Department data as of Sept 5.

Segregation still feeds into the city's uptick in crime, school closings, food deserts, departures of Black families lacking affordable housing, and the massive investments in downtown at the expense of the South Side and West Side, Davis Gates said. Education resources, unemployment levels and other hardships need to be examined when talking about crime statistics, she said.
Davis and others point to a long history of investments in downtown Chicago that largely bypassed the city’s historically Black and Hispanic neighborhoods. During the pandemic those divides were exacerbated and became more apparent as many communities that historically already had the most disadvantages also were hardest hit by Covid-19.

Many of these same neighborhoods continue to face the highest levels of joblessness, poverty and inadequate housing, according to a
study
by the Great Cities Institute at the University of Illinois Chicago.
“These places of concentrated disadvantages are where unemployment is most concentrated and crime is most concentrated, and there is an interplay,” said Matthew Wilson, associate director for economic and workforce development at the institute. “They play off each other to create the inequities we see in the city.”

‘Our History’​

Since the 1990s, past mayors have funded projects like the $490 million Millennium Park to project the image of Chicago as a world-class city, but those investments did little to promote inclusiveness or equity. “Being a global city accentuates the gap between the rich and poor. That's true of all cities, but it shows up here,” said Dick Simpson, a professor of politics at the University of Illinois Chicago and former city alderman. “Our economic, social and political history in many ways embodies the rest of America, and in many ways is on stark display.’’
Areas in and around the city’s center, including Lakeview, Lincoln Park and the Loop scored the best on the Great Cities Institute’s index, which ranks economic hardship. Lakeview’s per capita income hovers around $74,000, while Lincoln Park and the Loop’s top $90,000, according to a snapshot of data compiled by the state of Illinois from 2016 through 2020.
Predominately Black neighborhoods on the city’s south and west sides, including Riverdale, Englewood and West Garfield Park fared the worst on the index. Per capita incomes in those three neighborhoods being $15,000 or less, according to state data.
Chicago police shooting

Police officers investigate the scene of a shooting in Chicago, on July 21, 2020.
Photographer: Kamil Krzaczynski/AFP/Getty Images
Between 2011 and 2017, Chicago’s majority-White neighborhoods received nearly five times as much private investment per household compared to majority-Black neighborhoods, and nearly three times more private investment per household than majority-Latino neighborhoods, according to a recent Urban Institute report.

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot is trying to reverse the trends with her Invest South/West economic development program, announced in 2019. Investment commitments in the program could reach $2 billion by year-end, according to projections. About $1.4 billion has been committed so far and plans include bringing investments for grocery stores, health care, business incubators and transportation services to 10 neighborhoods.
“Continuing to ignore the Black community, the Brown community has been such a detriment to Chicago business, and has an impact — a domino impact — that I think the city started to see that you couldn't continue to do business as usual,” said Juan Gabriel Moreno, one of the architects behind the $8.5 billion O’Hare International Airport expansion, who is also moving his headquarters to the West Side as part of Invest South/West.

‘Reverse Migration’​

Former US Education Secretary Arne Duncan, who co-founded the anti-gun violence organization Chicago CRED (Create Real Economic Destiny), said that because violence has been largely concentrated in the Black community the city has seen a massive reverse migration of Black residents back to the South. “Families worry about their sons being killed,” he said.
“So, you got this massive reverse migration of the Black middle-class that hollows out neighborhoods and you lose those jobs and that stability, and that tax base and those community leaders, and that's funding for schools, so everything else suffers,” said Duncan, a Chicago native and resident.
Some of the problems started with the crumbling of the nation’s manufacturing industry, which hit Chicago particularly hard after the 1960s, according to a Great Cities Institute study which examined employment trends among the city’s 16-to-24-year-olds. Jobless Black and Latino youth turned to retail and service work while their White counterparts were able to find employment in higher-paying professional and related jobs downtown, according to the study.
in_trust_tout
As government leaders seek solutions, they need to remember that cities benefit not just from rich residents but people from all socio-economic levels, said Mary Pattillo, chair of the Department of African American Studies at Northwestern University. The poor pay sales taxes, renters contribute toward landlords' property levies and those with lower incomes hold various types of jobs needed throughout society, she said.

“We need to really be clear about who is valuable to cities,” Pattillo said. “Low-income folks and people of color are valuable to cities. So, we shouldn't take the idea that losing that population to gain a richer population is the best way to plan a city.”
Chicago has the infrastructure needed to recover from the pandemic, but it must invest its resources wisely to care for its most vulnerable residents, attract out-of-town companies and moreover cultivate its own businesses, said State Representative La Shawn K. Ford, who represents the west side and lives in the hard-hit Austin neighborhood.

The focus should be on schools and jobs, he said. West Side and South Side neighborhoods need high-quality schools, which will spur demand for vacant lots for housing for working-class families, Ford said. Then those families will attract businesses that create jobs to meet their needs, he added.
“If I have a job and I am able to get paid and I can take care of my family, that's dignity,” said Ford. “The crime goes away because guess what, I can get a job in my own community.”
— With assistance by Dave Merrill
Agreed. Decades of racial segregation and red lining have increased income inequality. This falls in line with regressive tax policies from the state and national level. It isn't one thing that created this. It is also why there isn't one simple solution to it either.

I don't know what the solution is but I do know that it isn't simple or easy. I also know that doing evidence backed methods rather than random crap that sounds good but has no scientific support is an approach we should be taking. This article is a bit dated, but something like it might be a good place to start. Unfortunately, getting government types to listen to research is getting harder and harder and harder these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT