ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago one of the top 20 safest cities in the world

Originally posted by SalAunese:
Misleading because most of the violent crime seems to be centered on a few locations

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/homicides
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Also misleading, because many crimes don't even officially get reported anymore due to lack of police resources to quickly respond. As an example, check out the excellent blog "Crime in Wrigleyville and Boystown", which is documenting how much that neighborhood had changed for the worse. When fewer police on the streets and available to take calls, people don't wait around as long for the response times. If there is no police report, there is no "crime", even though crime did indeed occur. There are times (it will happen this summer for sure) where the whole district goes to RAP (radio assignment pending) status, and depending on what the nature of the call is, police may not respond to it for HOURS. Literally, HOURS. You think people wait around to tell the story of how Pootie Tang punched somebody and took their iphone when they have jobs and life to get on with?

Originally posted by Pepperman:
Misleading because most of the violent crime seems to be centered on a few locations

Also misleading, because many crimes don't even officially get reported anymore due to lack of police resources to quickly respond. As an example, check out the excellent blog "Crime in Wrigleyville and Boystown", which is documenting how much that neighborhood had changed for the worse. When fewer police on the streets and available to take calls, people don't wait around as long for the response times. If there is no police report, there is no "crime", even though crime did indeed occur. There are times (it will happen this summer for sure) where the whole district goes to RAP (radio assignment pending) status, and depending on what the nature of the call is, police may not respond to it for HOURS. Literally, HOURS. You think people wait around to tell the story of how Pootie Tang punched somebody and took their iphone when they have jobs and life to get on with?
So this doesn't happen in other cities? Only in Chicago can police not respond in time to a call?

I live on the north edge of Wrigleyville. It's plenty safe.

Also, racist much? Pootie Tang?

Oh, look, it is Slieb and he wants to have an internet fight.

If you truly do live in Wrigleyville, you might want to educate yourself a bit more about the neighborhood. I don't know where certain wards start or stop, so you may be a ways from this mess. See link...

As for your comment about my views of who commits crimes in the context of snatching iphones in the neighborhood referenced, I'll just let facts get in the way.

http://www.cwbchicago.com/

If you truly do live in Wrigleyville, you might want to educate yourself a bit more about the neighborhood. I don't know where certain wards start or stop, so you may be a ways from this mess. See link...

As for your comment about my views of who commits crimes in the context of snatching iphones in the neighborhood referenced, I'll just let facts get in the way.
How about the entire post with about 90 entries about white people getting in fights and doing crazy shit on St. Patrick's day? In that entire post there were like 3 posts about black people being involved, and that's in a city that is 45% white and 33% black. Lakeview itself is 80% white and only 4% black. Saying "pootie tang" when referencing a phone snatching is racist. You're using the term in a derogatory manner.

Sure, there are concerning things in that blog. Sure, I'd like it if the police were better up here. But it's not a dangerous place. I live on the north edge of Lakeview, nearly in Uptown, which is quite a bit more rough. This type of stuff happens all over big cities. I was at the Belmont stop not more than an hour before that top story happened. I have never seen anything remotely dangerous or sketchy happen at any stop. But, I've only been here 19 months, so maybe I've just been lucky.

Here's my view.
IMG_3515%2B%281%29.JPG

Try reading that blog for well over a year straight, and then you MIGHT get it. But I don't think so.

And yes, Pootie Tang is "racist" when used in this context. Edited to use quotes because obviously this is a fake person's name.

This post was edited on 3/17 12:02 PM by Pepperman

Try reading that blog for well over a year straight, and then you MIGHT get it. But I don't think so.

And yes, Pootie Tang is "racist" when used in this context. Edited to use quotes because obviously this is a fake person's name.

This post was edited on 3/17 12:02 PM by Pepperman
I've lived in Lakeview for 8 months (and Streeterville for 12 months before). I don't need to read a blog.

I'm not saying the place is perfect. I'm simply saying that Chicago is not an inherently dangerous place. Further, Wrigleyville/Lakeview is one of the very safest parts of Chicago.

There is no doubt that things could be improved. But you can say that about everywhere. Simply because things could be improved does not mean Chicago is unsafe.

Pootie Tang? Snatch? I'm picking up the clues, you need to get lucky. Seeing as this is St. Pat's day, I'll play the good Catholic and help you get some gold.

8b93954esh-girls-12.jpg

2010.jpg

41cmUrUcw%2BL.jpg

costume-men-aaa8-4481green_2.jpg

Chicago is pretty safe from tsunami's and hurricanes, do they count?

The biggest crime committed in Chicago........
In 1960 when JFK's father phoned Mayor
Daley and told him to get more votes
so his son could win the state of Illinois
and the Presidential election.

Originally posted by slieb85:

So this doesn't happen in other cities? Only in Chicago can police not respond in time to a call?

Wasn't there a movie called "Pootie Tang" with a mostly black cast? That makes it NOT racist. Stop trying so hard.

Yep. Here it is. Stars Chris Rock and Lance Crouther. 2001. Here's a summary:

Pootie Tang, the musician/actor/folk hero of the ghetto, is chronicled from his early childhood to his battles against the evil Corporate America, who try to steal his magic belt and make him sell out by endorsing addictive products to his people. Pootie must learn to find himself and defeat the evil corporation for all the young black children of America, supatime.

Link

Originally posted by IMCC965:

Wasn't there a movie called "Pootie Tang" with a mostly black cast? That makes it NOT racist. Stop trying so hard.

Yep. Here it is. Stars Chris Rock and Lance Crouther. 2001. Here's a summary:

Pootie Tang, the musician/actor/folk hero of the ghetto, is chronicled from his early childhood to his battles against the evil Corporate America, who try to steal his magic belt and make him sell out by endorsing addictive products to his people. Pootie must learn to find himself and defeat the evil corporation for all the young black children of America, supatime.
So, what you're saying, is that he's equating a random, unidentified black person as:

Just because the term has been applied to a black character doesn't mean it isn't racism when you universally apply it to random, unidentified black people.

To put it another way, if someone saw you on a basketball court and yelled out "Billy Hoyle" at you, that would be racist. They would be equating you to another person of your race, based solely on the color of your skin.

Hope this lesson in racism 101 is helpful to you.

Wasn't there a movie called "Pootie Tang" with a mostly black cast? That makes it NOT racist.
That's like arguing the n word isn't racist cause 2Pac uses it.

Originally posted by ANYCHawk:

Wasn't there a movie called "Pootie Tang" with a mostly black cast? That makes it NOT racist.
That's like arguing the n word isn't racist cause 2Pac uses it.
Ugh that movie was terrible. It shows no tang at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT