ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Style Pizza

Detroit style pizza > Chicago style pizza if you’re into casseroles rather than good quality Neapolitan, NYC, Trenton, New Haven and/or California style actual pizzas. I bought a specific pan to make the Detroit style at home as other than Little Caesar’s we don’t have a restaurant in Tally that does Detroit Style and Little Ceasars is a Little to low in quality of ingredients for me to want on a regular basis (Their bacon wrapped Detroit style covered in more bacon and pepperoni special that pops up every now and then notwithstanding). So my wife and I do make Detroit style about once a month at home now, as well as Stromboli’s, calzones, NYC style thin crust, California style pizza and grilled campfire pizza.
The Detroit style is what Little Caesar's ripped off for it's pan pizza if I can remember. Rectangular pan right? Or something similar.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Neither

qJiNUEv.gif

For the pizza casseroles, my personal preference is: Calzones with sauce on the inside and tons of ricotta > ordinary calzones with a little ricotta and no sauce on the inside > Philadelphia style Strombolis > Detroit Style Pizza > “Greek” Deep Dish Pizza from Tarpon Springs and Tampa FL As well as Boston MA > Pizza Hut Pan Pizzas > Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.

The Detroit style is what Little Caesar's ripped off for it's pan pizza if I can remember. Rectangular pan right? Or something similar.

Yep.

This isn’t a picture of mine but it always looks similar to this.

Buddys-cheese-pizza.jpg

20170216-detroit-style-pizza-51.jpg

For Detroit style, you cook it in square car parts pans (not used for that purpose but seasoned with burned grapeseed or avocado oil to act like a cast iron grill). You don’t make a crust, you actually just coat the bottom and sides of the pan with some olive oil or butter and place a relatively thick but light and airy focaccia style dough inside spreading it out to the sides of the pan. Then you do a thick layer of cheese that on the sides carmelizes against the pan and the carmelized cheese becomes your side “crust”. The focaccia style dough then essentially fries in the olive oil and butter. So it’s not at all healthy for you as it’s essentially a thick light and airy fried bread with a thick carmelized cheese on sides and gooey cheese on the top where it’s protected by tomato sauce. The bread doesn’t get soggy as the cheese insulated everything from the tomato sauce and any toppings that might leak water or oil as it cooks. So like most Chicago thick style and Trenton NJ Tomato Pies it’s bread then cheese then toppings and sauce.

Last edited:

Give Detroit Style and/or Boston or Tampa “Greek” style pizza’s a try. Then you’ll see what Chicago deep dish style is usually missing (the fluffy interior and the fried dough exterior, most Chicago Deep dish pizzas are just a thick pretty hard dough that’s pretty pale in color). Not all, there’s one or two that makes lighter crusts and fries them in oil as well like Louisa’s Pizza and Pasta. But if all I know is Detroit style or Greek style pizza versus Chicago, I’m going with the former every time.

(And for the record in case someone thinks I’m bashing the city of Chicago itself, I do like a lot of the thin style from there although I’ve heard it’s more accurate to call it Milwaukee or Wisconsin thin than Chicago thin. On that argument, I have no horse I’m betting on).

Last edited:
Love Chicago style for a change. In the Des Moines area, Giordano's, Rosatti's, and Felix and Oscar's are all great. F&O's is really under appreciated, been in the same spot for years and years. Wig & Pen is fantastic as well. I don't think I've had a bad Chicago style.

Detroit style pizza > Chicago style pizza if you’re into casseroles rather than good quality Neapolitan, NYC, Trenton, New Haven and/or California style actual pizzas. I bought a specific pan to make the Detroit style at home as other than Little Caesar’s we don’t have a restaurant in Tally that does Detroit Style and Little Ceasars is a Little to low in quality of ingredients for me to want on a regular basis (Their bacon wrapped Detroit style covered in more bacon and pepperoni special that pops up every now and then notwithstanding). So my wife and I do make Detroit style about once a month at home now, as well as Stromboli’s, calzones, NYC style thin crust, California style pizza and grilled campfire pizza.
Being a Hawkeye originally from Michigan, this is my favorite, then New Haven (or “Grand Haven” style in Michigan), and then Chicago. In Eastern Iowa, the best for each I have found is...

Detroit - Roscoe’s (Cedar Rapids)

Chicago - Wig and Pen (Iowa City)

New Haven - (tie) Need Pizza (Cedar Rapids)
Geno’s (Preston)

FYI, Chicago style lovers: I was thrilled to discover Gino’s East pizza from Chicago makes a small frozen pizza for Aldi stores. Tried it on the “slow bake” instructions and it tasted nearly exactly like a fresh one from the restaurant.

Give Detroit Style and/or Boston or Tampa “Greek” style pizza’s a try. Then you’ll see what Chicago deep dish style is usually missing (the fluffy interior and the fried dough exterior, most Chicago Deep dish pizzas are just a thick pretty hard dough that’s pretty pale in color). Not all, there’s one or two that makes lighter crusts and fries them in oil as well like Louisa’s Pizza and Pasta. But if all I know is Detroit style or Greek style pizza versus Chicago, I’m going with the former every time.

(And for the record in case someone thinks I’m bashing the city of Chicago itself, I do like a lot of the thin style from there although I’ve heard it’s more accurate to call it Milwaukee or Wisconsin thin than Chicago thin. On that argument, I have no horse I’m betting on).
Greek style pizza is awesome, one of my favs! Hard to come by, but we have one in my area that I've been eating since I was a little kid.

348s.jpg

Anyone ever had Grandma style pizza? It's probably my favorite. I only saw it out on Long Island for years until recently. It's becoming more popular at the various NY style pizzerias here in FL (there's a ton due to all the NY transplants. I have at least 5 in my small beach town of 10k people.)

I asked the owner of my place nearby if he makes it, and you shoulda seen the look on his face, looked like he was about to cry he was so happy I had even heard of it. And yes he did make one special for me.

I actually make them myself now a few times a month. Its very easy. Just place dough on a baking sheet, place moz cheese to cover, then ladle the sauce in diagonal strips over the cheese. Top with fresh basil. Simple and delicious.

grandma-pizza.jpg

Grandma-Pizza-delectabelle.com-recipe-oven-fresh.jpg

IMG_3227.JPG

St. Louis pizza is the spawn of the devil. They can keep their fromunda cheese.

I agree.

Anyone who knows me, knows that 1) I love travel more than anything but my wife and 2) when I travel I always try to grab the local bbq, the local pizza, the local seafood and then any other local specialties in that order. So I’ve tried countless pizzas throughout the country (and Canada and Europe) and there’s only two styles of pizzas I literally cannot stand. And that’s St Louis and Old Forge/Punxsutawney style pizzas.

I actually like the cracker/lavash style crust that they use in St Louis, it reminds me of a Pizza Hut thin style pizza. But there’s two things that absolutely ruin it and that’s 1) the incredibly gross and off putting Provel cheese and 2) the sickeningly sweet sauce that is essentially a five pound bag of sugar poured into a 28 ounce can of tomato paste and nothing else. I do know even a decent amount of St Louis natives hate the provel cheese and you can technically get it with mozzarella instead, but you’re still stuck with that disgusting sauce as well.

The Old Forge/Punxsutawney style is almost as bad. The crust is closer to a California style thin than the lavash/Pizza Hut Thin crust that they have in St Louis and they use real mozzarella, but they still have a disgusting Uber sweet sauce. It’s slightly more flavorful than St Louis so it’s like they dumped a bunch of Earnest and Julio Gallo box wine into a 5 lb bag of sugar and a 28 ounce can of tomato paste.

Anyone ever had Grandma style pizza? It's probably my favorite. I only saw it out on Long Island for years until recently. It's becoming more popular at the various NY style pizzerias here in FL (there's a ton due to all the NY transplants. I have at least 5 in my small beach town of 10k people.)

I asked the owner of my place nearby if he makes it, and you shoulda seen the look on his face, looked like he was about to cry he was so happy I had even heard of it. And yes he did make one special for me.

I actually make them myself now a few times a month. Its very easy. Just place dough on a baking sheet, place moz cheese to cover, then ladle the sauce in diagonal strips over the cheese. Top with fresh basil. Simple and delicious.

grandma-pizza.jpg

IMG_3227.JPG

Yep, I think it’s more of a NJ thing that worked its way into NYC before heading down to FL. But I’m not a real fan. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nowhere near the terribleness of St Louis and Old Forge/Punxsutawney styles. But I’d rather have a Trenton Tomato Pie or NYC thin crust over the Grandma style pies.

And I do see an advantage to doing Grandma style pies if you’re a home cook. Just like the deep dish styles, you can easily do it in a regular home oven while the New Haven, NYC, Trenton Tomato Pies, California style etc... need you to use the oven cleaning setting or a real purpose built pizza oven to hit the 750+ degrees you need to get amazing quality versions of those styles. 550 ain’t cutting it for quality thin crust pizzas.

Last edited:
Greek style pizza is awesome, one of my favs! Hard to come by, but we have one in my area that I've been eating since I was a little kid.

348s.jpg

My very first job was working at an ABC Pizza (a chain of “Greek” style pizzas from Tampa by way of Tarpon Springs for the Iowans who don’t know about it) so I’ve always loved the style. It wasn’t until I visited Mystic CT and Boston that I realized it wasn’t just a Florida thing, but a Florida and New England hidden delicacy.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers

grandma-pizza.jpg

IMG_3227.JPG
Looks like a variation on “tavern style” - which is what I think was referred to earlier in this thread as Milwaukee/Wisconsin style.

I agree.

Anyone who knows me, knows that 1) I love travel more than anything but my wife and 2) when I travel I always try to grab the local bbq, the local pizza, the local seafood and then any other local specialties in that order. So I’ve tried countless pizzas throughout the country (and Canada and Europe) and there’s only two styles of pizzas I literally cannot stand. And that’s St Louis and Old Forge/Punxsutawney style pizzas.

I actually like the cracker/lavash style crust that they use in St Louis, it reminds me of a Pizza Hut thin style pizza. But there’s two things that absolutely ruin it and that’s 1) the incredibly gross and off putting Provel cheese and 2) the sickeningly sweet sauce that is essentially a five pound bag of sugar poured into a 28 ounce can of tomato paste and nothing else. I do know even a decent amount of St Louis natives hate the provel cheese and you can technically get it with mozzarella instead, but you’re still stuck with that disgusting sauce as well.

The Old Forge/Punxsutawney style is almost as bad. The crust is closer to a California style thin than the lavash/Pizza Hut Thin crust that they have in St Louis and they use real mozzarella, but they still have a disgusting Uber sweet sauce. It’s slightly more flavorful than St Louis so it’s like they dumped a bunch of Earnest and Julio Gallo box wine into a 5 lb bag of sugar and a 28 ounce can of tomato paste.
You have not yet had the distinct pleasure of trying the fastest-growing, soon-to-be-world-famous Quad Cities Style pizza yet, though, have you?

You have not yet had the distinct pleasure of trying the fastest-growing, soon-to-be-world-famous Quad Cities Style pizza yet, though, have you?

I haven’t. I’ve only been in Iowa for parts of two days on a drive through to get to the College World Series and did try Casey’s pizza (which I give a C for Ceptable but I understand it’s not technically quad cities but its own thing), a Maid-Rite (which was terrible) and a pork tenderloin from Smitty’s which was quite good.

I love the flavor of Tomaso's Chicago and Detroit. I just wish they would not be so skimpy with the toppings. But either works for me.

I want to get back over to Zoey's to try theirs. It has been about 20 years, and living across their street for a decade when they first opened - I ate it literally a hundred of times and just never have gone back once I moved to the south side of CR.

Maybe next weekend...

If you must play the "it's a casserole" card, I must play the "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet" card

I haven’t. I’ve only been in Iowa for parts of two days on a drive through to get to the College World Series and did try Casey’s pizza (which I give a C for Ceptable but I understand it’s not technically quad cities but its own thing), a Maid-Rite (which was terrible) and a pork tenderloin from Smitty’s which was quite good.
People don’t really love Casey’s - it’s just kind of a joke since for pizza made at a gas station, it’s pretty above average.

Here is a story about QC Style from Food & Wine magazine:

Looks like a variation on “tavern style” - which is what I think was referred to earlier in this thread as Milwaukee/Wisconsin style.
I don't think so. I've had "bar or tavern style" pizza before and it's usually a lot thinner and crisper. Greek style has a thicker dough, but not too thick. It's crispy but soft (if that makes sense), and the crust comes up the sides. The bottom is firm, but not crunchy. It has a heavy dose of cheese to balance the crust, but not at the deep dish level. It's usually served on a raised, metal tray at the table; and when you lift of a slice, there has to be a mandatory visible trace of greasy goodness underneath.

I make mine in a cast iron pan. I also have a pizza stone for it, but the pan works better. Spinach, Onion and Mushroom to keep the grease down. I also love using Scamorza Cheese if you can find it since it is lower in moisture, melts well and has a really nice flavor.

Yep.

This isn’t a picture of mine but it always looks similar to this.

Buddys-cheese-pizza.jpg

20170216-detroit-style-pizza-51.jpg

For Detroit style, you cook it in square car parts pans (not used for that purpose but seasoned with burned grapeseed or avocado oil to act like a cast iron grill). You don’t make a crust, you actually just coat the bottom and sides of the pan with some olive oil or butter and place a relatively thick but light and airy focaccia style dough inside spreading it out to the sides of the pan. Then you do a thick layer of cheese that on the sides carmelizes against the pan and the carmelized cheese becomes your side “crust”. The focaccia style dough then essentially fries in the olive oil and butter. So it’s not at all healthy for you as it’s essentially a thick light and airy fried bread with a thick carmelized cheese on sides and gooey cheese on the top where it’s protected by tomato sauce. The bread doesn’t get soggy as the cheese insulated everything from the tomato sauce and any toppings that might leak water or oil as it cooks. So like most Chicago thick style and Trenton NJ Tomato Pies it’s bread then cheese then toppings and sauce.
Have you tried Jet's Pizza? Pretty sure that's Detroit style.

Made the deep dish chi pie tonight. It took a lot more effort than I'd bargained for but it proved quite popular. That said, it'll be another year before I try this again.

Have you tried Jet's Pizza? Pretty sure that's Detroit style.

I haven’t yet, but at looking at their menu they definitely have what looks like real Detroit style. I’ll have to let my sister know as there is one in her area and I’ll check it out when I visit her sometime.

Wes
I don't think so. I've had "bar or tavern style" pizza before and it's usually a lot thinner and crisper. Greek style has a thicker dough, but not too thick. It's crispy but soft (if that makes sense), and the crust comes up the sides. The bottom is firm, but not crunchy. It has a heavy dose of cheese to balance the crust, but not at the deep dish level. It's usually served on a raised, metal tray at the table; and when you lift of a slice, there has to be a mandatory visible trace of greasy goodness underneath.

Yeah, Greek style pizza is essentially a slightly thinner Detroit style crust (so a fluffy focaccia style dough that is fried in olive oil) but rather than have the cheese make contact with the sides of the pan to make a carmelized cheese “crust”, the Greek style is tossed like a normal pizza and has an actual raised crust of dough. It also uses mainly mozzarella with a little Parmesan unlike Detroit which uses Wisconsin brick or a combo of mozzarella and Both Monterey Jack and mild cheddar at a 2:1:1 ratio.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT