ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Style Pizza

Greek style pizza is awesome, one of my favs! Hard to come by, but we have one in my area that I've been eating since I was a little kid.

348s.jpg

There's a place near my office that makes the greek style. I like it. Their gyro pizza is pretty tasty.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Speaking of Chicago pizza. There was a long time neighborhood bar called Higgins Tap on Racine about halfway in between Belmont and Addison. It was a MSU bar, but a really good place to hang out at. Some buddies and I were there watching March Madness one Friday night and we’d ordered some pizzas. One buddy was going on and on about how good the pizza was and I told him, “It’s f****** Tombstone”. We were a bit sloshed, but I knew me their signature cardboard packaging that Higgins would use to serve them on.
No, no, my friend told me. I kept repeating it was clearly a f****** Tombstone. Finally I walked him to the little kitchen area and showed him the Tombstone pizzas being unwrapped as they pulled them from the freezer. My buddy started berating the owner, Jim, over the outrageous mark up he was charging. “Jim, Jim, it’s Tombstone you cheap bastard”!
CSB.

agree about the cheese . am imo s pizza place opened up 35 minutes away from me , we tried it twice . it was edible but we a bunch of other pizza places bfore them . they shut down within 3 years .
I was out in St Louis a few yrs ago and got an Imos. The guy specifically asked me if i wanted provel or mozzarella. I said provel, since I wanted the original style. The guy just looked at me for a few seconds and then said ok. It was at that moment we both understood that I had done effed up.

Never had it but the pic below is legit. Sometimes chicago style gets way too puffy in the crust. Rosati's is like that for me, although I live their thin crust. The Zoey's looks nice and butter pie crusty but not too thick.

zoey-s-pizzera.jpg

I've had some of the stuff in Chicago and Zoey's stacks up very well. It's authentic and a great crust.

I've made it at home and come quite close to Zoey's crust wise. Key is to use AP flour, let it sit in the fridge overnight -- should have a beer like smell after it sits -- and don't work the crust too much. You want it crumbly. It's like making biscuit dough.

Go to pizzamaking.com for some baseline recipes. Chicago style crust at home is actually pretty easy to make.

Few other things:

- For cheese use whole milk mozzarella.
- San marzano tomatoes for the sauce. (can buy Centros in yellow can around here) Key is to cook it down slowly with a bit of fat and onion for flavor. At the end, after it has reduced for 3 hours or so, you add your seasoning and salt. Easy and the best red sauce you're going to make at home. When doing it for pizza cook it down longer so it's thicker and not too runny.
- Nothing better than a good cast-iron dish for pizza baking at home.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Prefer thin but Chicago is not bad. It's better than Detroit. Out of american pizza's I'd probably go in this order.

1. St Louis
2. New York
3. Quad Cities!
4. Chicago
5 California

10. Detroit

LOL at this list.

Not for Detroit being 10, but QC at 3 and STL at 1. Shows you have no taste

Reactions: Bro D
Zoey's in Marion is right up there.

Zoey's is good.

Tomaso's has gone down hill. I ordered a Chicago style and had it door dashed a couple months ago. It got delivered from the Hiawatha location. I swear they must think throwing sauce on top of the toppings makes a pizza "Chicago style". it was garbage. It has been about 15 years since I had Tomaso's and they seemed to have slipped a little back then.

The last time I was in Chicago my friend that lives out there asked us where we wanted to go. The friend I went out there with said "Giordannos". The buddy that lived out there said "screw that" and took us to Pequods. That pizza was really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rudolph
You spelled "Tomaso's" wrong.

Tomaso's is GAAAARRRRBAAAAAGE. throwing sauce on top of toppings doesn't make it "Chicago style". and that is pretty much exactly what I got. A super thick outer crust, toppings that barely hit halfway to the top of crust with sauce thrown on top. First time I had them in 15 years and they were slipping back then

LOL at this list.

Not for Detroit being 10, but QC at 3 and STL at 1. Shows you have no taste

That list is so bad I assumed it was a troll.

As I mentioned earlier, it’s not just the Provel cheese. St Louis style has literally the worst tomato sauce to go along with the worst cheese. And it’s too bad because I really like the Lavash like crust, but it’s impossible to enjoy the decent crust when everything else is flat out disgusting.

Love Chicago style for a change. In the Des Moines area, Giordano's, Rosatti's, and Felix and Oscar's are all great. F&O's is really under appreciated, been in the same spot for years and years. Wig & Pen is fantastic as well. I don't think I've had a bad Chicago style.

Ahhh, that reminds me, back when I started school at Iowa there was a Felix & Oscar's across the street from the Deadwood. I was a big fan of their pies but they were gone by the time I graduated.

Reactions: EasyHawk and Bro D
Tomaso's is GAAAARRRRBAAAAAGE. throwing sauce on top of toppings doesn't make it "Chicago style". and that is pretty much exactly what I got. A super thick outer crust, toppings that barely hit halfway to the top of crust with sauce thrown on top. First time I had them in 15 years and they were slipping back then

The Tomaso's order should have been Detroit style. That's their ace pick. I go back and forth between Zoey and them. Zoey Chicago is much better, but I like the sauce (and the Detroit) from Tomaso's.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I agree.

Anyone who knows me, knows that 1) I love travel more than anything but my wife and 2) when I travel I always try to grab the local bbq, the local pizza, the local seafood and then any other local specialties in that order. So I’ve tried countless pizzas throughout the country (and Canada and Europe) and there’s only two styles of pizzas I literally cannot stand. And that’s St Louis and Old Forge/Punxsutawney style pizzas.

I actually like the cracker/lavash style crust that they use in St Louis, it reminds me of a Pizza Hut thin style pizza. But there’s two things that absolutely ruin it and that’s 1) the incredibly gross and off putting Provel cheese and 2) the sickeningly sweet sauce that is essentially a five pound bag of sugar poured into a 28 ounce can of tomato paste and nothing else. I do know even a decent amount of St Louis natives hate the provel cheese and you can technically get it with mozzarella instead, but you’re still stuck with that disgusting sauce as well.

The Old Forge/Punxsutawney style is almost as bad. The crust is closer to a California style thin than the lavash/Pizza Hut Thin crust that they have in St Louis and they use real mozzarella, but they still have a disgusting Uber sweet sauce. It’s slightly more flavorful than St Louis so it’s like they dumped a bunch of Earnest and Julio Gallo box wine into a 5 lb bag of sugar and a 28 ounce can of tomato paste.

I'm with you on sweet pizza sauce. I'll take a spicy pizza sauce over a sweet sauce 10 out of 10 times.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Ahhh, that reminds me, back when I started school at Iowa there was a Felix & Oscar's across the street from the Deadwood. I was a big fan of their pies but they were gone by the time I graduated.
My favorite chicago style in IC (fitzpatrick's) also no longer exists. Loved me some fitzy's

Nm didn't see this. You also have an interesting array of pictures in that photo stream. From delicious pizza and apparently homemade bread, to some hot girls, to some disgusting looking test kits.
Haha. Yes the hot chick was my ex gf. When I was younger :)

Reactions: Tenacious E
Yep, I think it’s more of a NJ thing that worked its way into NYC before heading down to FL. But I’m not a real fan. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nowhere near the terribleness of St Louis and Old Forge/Punxsutawney styles. But I’d rather have a Trenton Tomato Pie or NYC thin crust over the Grandma style pies.

And I do see an advantage to doing Grandma style pies if you’re a home cook. Just like the deep dish styles, you can easily do it in a regular home oven while the New Haven, NYC, Trenton Tomato Pies, California style etc... need you to use the oven cleaning setting or a real purpose built pizza oven to hit the 750+ degrees you need to get amazing quality versions of those styles. 550 ain’t cutting it for quality thin crust pizzas.

Had a Grandma style at 310 Bowery in NY. It was great. Got the tip from a Portnoy pizza review.

IMG_8571.jpg

She's somewhere in Prague I believe. Funny thing is people don't realize how underrated the Czech Republic is for the ladies. And the bonus is most drink beer :)
A friend of mine told me that on certain adult websites the Czechs are well represented. Or so I've heard.

Anyone have a link for a good NYC dough recipe? My lady friend likes floppy dough pizzas!

Anyone have a link for a good NYC dough recipe? My lady friend likes floppy dough pizzas!

This

But ignore the fact that the author prefers AP flour. Bread flour is what makes pizza doughs taste 200x better.

So follow all the steps in the recipe I attached but use a good quality bread flour. Do NOT use AP flour. AP flour is good for frying and that’s about it. You want double zero flour for pasta, bread flour for pizza, naan, pita, and all other breads, and cake flour for most pastries.

I miss Rocky Rococo's. There are some in Wisconsin but I regret the day it left downtown Iowa City---when downtown actually had places to eat.
697792b17176b9ebdce2be64b3aed784.jpg

Hot damn! I saw this picture and knew immediately what it was before reading your comment. LOVED me some Rocky Rococo's back in the day. Sadly, the one in Cedar Falls closed while I was still in college. Incredible pizza.

Hot damn! I saw this picture and knew immediately what it was before reading your comment. LOVED me some Rocky Rococo's back in the day. Sadly, the one in Cedar Falls closed while I was still in college. Incredible pizza.
I was trying to think what category of pizza this would fall into. It's been over 30 years since I had it but my recollection is a buttery/yeasty pan style crust with a sauce that was on the sweeter side. Looks the most like detroit style I suppose.

I was trying to think what category of pizza this would fall into. It's been over 30 years since I had it but my recollection is a buttery/yeasty pan style crust with a sauce that was on the sweeter side. Looks the most like detroit style I suppose.

I think that is a pretty accurate description. Their sausage and pepperoni were very good!

This

But ignore the fact that the author prefers AP flour. Bread flour is what makes pizza doughs taste 200x better.

So follow all the steps in the recipe I attached but use a good quality bread flour. Do NOT use AP flour. AP flour is good for frying and that’s about it. You want double zero flour for pasta, bread flour for pizza, naan, pita, and all other breads, and cake flour for most pastries.
Thank you for the tip. Is there much diff between 00 and cake flour? Don't both refer to their "fineness." Would you use bread flour for brick oven pizza also? Does it blister well?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT