ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago tips...

SeaPA

HR Heisman
Dec 17, 2002
So I'll be in Chicago this weekend, staying kinda near Millenium Park. Couple of questions:
* From there, what's the best place to go to for a Chicago Pizzacasserole?
* Where would be a good place to watch the World Cup games?

So I'll be in Chicago this weekend, staying kinda near Millenium Park. Couple of questions:
* From there, what's the best place to go to for a Chicago Pizzacasserole?
* Where would be a good place to watch the World Cup games?

Lou Malnati's on Michigan. Get the butter crust on the pizzacasserole.

World cup? Pick any sportsbar in the area. It will be good. Mother Hubbards is right up the road from stuffing your face with Lou's.

Lou Malnati's, though I usually go to the River North location. Full stop. Also, go to breakfast at Wildberry.

If you're interested in an off the path cultural experience, make a brief stop at the Dreihaus Museum. Immaculately restored Gilded Age home a couple of blocks off the mag-mile ,with an interesting current exhibit on preservationist Richard Nickel's documentation of the work of Louis B Sullivan.

How can you go to Chicago? Don’t you know, you’re going to get shot?

Lou’s would be my suggestion.

Reactions: Finance85
Soccer specific as opposed to just sports bar: Cleo's on Chicago for more divey. The Globe further north but great.

New, and "nicer" the Albion Manner, bonus for being just a couple blocks from Pequods, one of the better pizza joints.

I concur Malnati's pizza (#1) is better than Geno's (#3) and Uno/Due (#2) in that vicinity. Pequod's is the best, but it's a bit of a trip from that area of town.

Reactions: Torg
Putting-On-Bulletproof-Vest-BulletSafe_9a1bd03f-a75a-4e07-9a55-b148f539243c_1800x.jpg

Reactions: CAhawki
I'm headed to Bears vs Eagles on Sunday. FLY EAGLES FLY!!

We're heading over with another couple who have season tickets so we'll lean on them for all the "spots"

Reactions: TailgateTom
How can you go to Chicago? Don’t you know, you’re going to get shot?

Lou’s would be my suggestion.
FWIW, mrs. A and i went earlier in november. It was sort of interesting in that there was some buzz but the level of activity and energy was somewhat lower than pre-covid. In any event, I didn't feel materially less safe, though in retrospect i saw very few cops out and about. The usual component of untreated psychopathy that you would expect for a major city

FWIW, mrs. A and i went earlier in november. It was sort of interesting in that there was some buzz but the level of activity and energy was somewhat lower than pre-covid. In any event, I didn't feel materially less safe, though in retrospect i saw very few cops out and about. The usual component of untreated psychopathy that you would expect for a major city
I was in Chicago over the summer. Didn’t feel unsafe at all.

Lou Malnati's, though I usually go to the River North location. Full stop. Also, go to breakfast at Wildberry.

If you're interested in an off the path cultural experience, make a brief stop at the Dreihaus Museum. Immaculately restored Gilded Age home a couple of blocks off the mag-mile ,with an interesting current exhibit on preservationist Richard Nickel's documentation of the work of Louis B Sullivan.
I can second Wildberry.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Ahem…
rules-without-them-wed-live-with-animals.gif

Also, as stated, any restaurant with a large tv will be showing soccer matches. Food, you can hit Lou Mal’s or the RoseBud should be near there as they have good pizza and Italian.

Soccer specific as opposed to just sports bar: Cleo's on Chicago for more divey. The Globe further north but great.

New, and "nicer" the Albion Manner, bonus for being just a couple blocks from Pequods, one of the better pizza joints.

I'm not in Chicago that much but I went to the Globe Pub a few years ago for lunch. Definitely seems like that would be a fun spot for the World Cup

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Hard to go wrong with Lou Mal for the pizza. On a side note, the wife and I went to breakfast at the original house of pancakes. Used to think that a pancake was a pancake. Oh my goodness.

FYI, the last time I was at Lou's the pie was about an hour wait after ordering.
I think you can preorder on the app for dine in and skip some of the wait. I know they take orders in the waiting room to get started if there's a wait.

Reactions: OrlandNole
Deep dish is a personal preference, Due's is mine because I like a milder sauce. If you're looking to be punched with flavor from the sauce, there's (or at least there was pre-pandemic) a Beggar's just southwest of union station that is in the same line as Malnati's but better imo.

Not sure if Kingston Mines is still around but it's legendary. Lots of great pubs around too.
Yup.. great irish pub just down the street

Last time I went was a few years ago after a bhawks game. Had to check the name but last one i saw was the JW williams band with laretha weathersby on vocals. Fantastic. They had this asian dude named yoshi playing an upside down guitar... he was absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to go back sometime

Reactions: jasonrann
For pizza it’s Dag’s or Gino’s East. For deep dish it’s still Giordano’s— which mind you that Chicago Giordano’s is not the same as chain Giordano’s.

And for Italian pasta it’s Pasta Palazzo.
Assuming your not from Chicago?

Also if you want a real pie and not deep sm dish, hit Vito and Nicks

Another nice place by MP is Tavern at the Park..

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Everytime chicago pizza talk turns into pizza snob youre not from chicago real chicago not real chicago commercial chicago blah blah blah. Giordanos, lous or ginos deep dish are all effing fantastic

Reactions: Torg
Assuming your not from Chicago?

Also if you want a real pie and not deep sm dish, hit Vito and Nicks

Another nice place by MP is Tavern at the Park..
I lived there for a number of years. D’Agastino’s is the best…. Or was when I lived there.

Couple of very beautiful places to see just south of Randolph and west of Michigan:

The Old Chicago Public Library. Wiki Old Library Now called the Chicago Cultural Center. Back in the 70s they wanted to tear it down and build a skyscraper. My mother helped with the effort to save it.
1024px-Preston_Bradley_Hall_and_Tiffany_Glass_Dome_-_Chicago_Cultural_Center.jpg
1920px-Chicago_Cultural_Center_-_Grand_Room_Rotunda_Stained_Glass_Dome.jpg
1920px-Chicago_Cultural_Center_-_Grand_Room_Rotunda_Stained_Glass_Dome.jpg

Also well worth a visit, my favorite piece of free public art: The Four Seasons mosaic block by Alexander Calder.
https://www.marcchagall.net/four-seasons.jsp
four-seasons.jpg

It's at Monroe and Dearborn. Magical.

Everytime chicago pizza talk turns into pizza snob youre not from chicago real chicago not real chicago commercial chicago blah blah blah. Giordanos, lous or ginos deep dish are all effing fantastic
No one from Chicago goes there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT