ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago White Sox are considering a move from Guaranteed Rate Field, a report says — and possibly out of town

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
What’s the future for the Chicago White Sox at Guaranteed Rate Field?

According to a Crain’s Chicago Business report, the Sox are considering a move from the place they’ve called home since 1991 when the team’s lease expires six seasons from now.

No decision is imminent, according to the report, which lists a new stadium in the city or suburbs and relocating to Nashville, Tenn., among the possibilities.

The article also details that Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf might look to sell the Sox.

“We have not had any conversations about our lease situation, but with six years remaining, it is naturally nearing a time where discussions should begin to take place,” the Sox said in a statement Monday. “The conversations would be with the city, ISFA (Illinois Sports Facilities Authority) and the state and most likely would be about vision, opportunities and the future.”

The Sox moved into Guaranteed Rate Field, then named new Comiskey Park, after calling Comiskey Park home from 1910-90.

I liked Greenberg's opening:

"You can say a lot about the White Sox — they’re chronically mismanaged, consistently tone-deaf, frustratingly run, mostly oblivious to reality — but don’t ever say they lack devastating comedic timing.

Hours after a story broke about the organization grasping for leverage for a new stadium, the actual team immediately fell behind by five runs in the top of the first inning en route to a 14-2 loss to the Seattle Mariners."

Wanting to leave a stadium that is just a little over 30 years old...

People have lost their minds.
Sadly it’s becoming far more common. Hell look at the titans and their new 2 billion dollar stadium.

I’d actually love for them to move the stadium. If bears move I’d love it to be where soldier currently is. Will never happen but a man can dream.

Comisky is just an overall bad stadium. Hopefully jerry does right and sells the team and let’s new ownership come in and start fresh. Obviously want them to stay in Chicago, but if new ownership moves to Nashville so be it.

Reactions: theiacowtipper
I liked Greenberg's opening:

"You can say a lot about the White Sox — they’re chronically mismanaged, consistently tone-deaf, frustratingly run, mostly oblivious to reality — but don’t ever say they lack devastating comedic timing.

Hours after a story broke about the organization grasping for leverage for a new stadium, the actual team immediately fell behind by five runs in the top of the first inning en route to a 14-2 loss to the Seattle Mariners."
Luis Castillo threw 47 fastballs in a row and still shut them down.

• Sad
Reactions: ThorneStockton
Sadly it’s becoming far more common. Hell look at the titans and their new 2 billion dollar stadium.

I’d actually love for them to move the stadium. If bears move I’d love it to be where soldier currently is. Will never happen but a man can dream.

Comisky is just an overall bad stadium. Hopefully jerry does right and sells the team and let’s new ownership come in and start fresh. Obviously want them to stay in Chicago, but if new ownership moves to Nashville so be it.

I disagree that it's bad overall, it's just not real nice, or on the same level as the top parks.

There's no real bad views, the concourse is easy enough to get around, food and beverage is solid and transportation isn't bad with parking and CTA.

It just feels a little sterile like a concrete jungle on a highway, scant bars/restaurants around, and the knowledge that it could have been better, being built just a year or two before cool "retro" parks were built in cities like Baltimore and Cleveland.

If I had to guess they will be playing in the current stadium for the foreseeable future. I don't know who owns all the parking lots (probably the same state entity as the stadium) but maybe something creative could be done with some of those in terms of a quasi entertainment district.

Either way, there will be plenty of speculation and these types of stories for awhile.

Family and I almost had an eventful day when we refused to buy a "community newsletter" that some dipshit was pushing on people in the parking lot. He didn't like a simple "no thank you".

There's no real bad views

Disagree, the upper deck starts too far away, starts too high up, and it is too steep. The lower bowl is the opposite in that it's not steep enough end ends up putting people further from the field than it should.

Its saving grace is that no section of box seats is more than 8 seats wide in the lower bowl, which makes it easy to get in/out of your seat.

Disagree, the upper deck starts too far away, starts too high up, and it is too steep. The lower bowl is the opposite in that it's not steep enough end ends up putting people further from the field than it should.

Its saving grace is that no section of box seats is more than 8 seats wide in the lower bowl, which makes it easy to get in/out of your seat.

Fair points, I'll admit it has been many years since I've been on the upper deck, the 100 level is almost always real cheap or still accessible even if you only paid for the upper deck.

Its improved from when it first opened. The Location is great, so if they build a park there, they will likely build it where the Old Comisky was and then use the current site for parking.

There's a cross section here that displays what's wrong with that upper deck

Cool website and I'd say a pretty solid summary:

TL;DR? Here’s the long-form piece in a nutshell:

Just barely missing the retro-classic trend ushered in by Camden Yards (1992), the White Sox stadium (1991) usually falls near the very bottom of ballpark rankings. But as any ballpark enthusiast will tell you, Chicago’s South Side ballpark has gotten so much better after over 20 years of periodic renovations.

Yes, inside and out, little about GRF makes any pretense of being aesthetically attractive. With an enclosed, ad-plastered outfield facing away from Chicago’s skyline, GRF has little character and absolutely no visual sense of place. But compared to some busy, disjointed, gimmicky retro parks, there is a certain coherence and simplicity about its pleasing, symmetrical interior lines that just rubs me the right way.

GTF’s amenities and fan-friendly features compare pretty well: (a) good food, (b) top-5 ballpark for craft beer, (c) The Craft Kave, one of the best social spaces in baseball, (d) multiple lounges and bars littered around the main concourse, (e) statues adorn the outfield concourse, and (f) a kids’ area focused on baseball activities. And don’t forget the exploding scoreboard, now equipped with state-of-the-art tech to match its reputation.

However, GRF is still rife with flaws beyond the nondescript aesthetics, because there are plenty of structural issues that can’t be fixed. The upper deck is still high, steep, and far from the action. Cumbersome ramps are still required for vertical circulation; exploring the park is a chore. And it’s still a “parking lot stadium.”

Finally, while inconsistently enforced, the policy restricting upper deck ticket holders to that level, meaning they can’t access the amenities on the main concourse, is deplorable. And it was back in full force for 2021. There are ways to circumvent this rule, but it’s baseball’s single most fan-unfriendly policy.

But GTF doesn’t deserve to be associated with the two “bad” stadiums in Oakland and Tampa, which I see far too often. Compared to other fans’ ballpark rankings, #25 is a pretty solid showing for GRF.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Cowboy GIF

Reactions: QChawks
My hope before the soldier field renovation was for the Bears to build a new domed stadium right next to Sox Park.
That stadium would host year round events and between them both would spur a massive neighborhood nightlife district.
Still could happen. Best access location of any event venue in the city.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
At 30 years old Guaranteed Rate certainly isn't worn out, but it's just old enough to not match up well when measured against some of the slightly more recent stadium projects,.. It's sort of a big box store in world where everyone is now building destination venues....

I actually think, with the renovations over the years, it’s a really good venue and gameday experience. Maybe tied for second best in the Midwest, right with Minnesota and below Cincy. I don’t mind the steepness, but yes the upper deck starts too high, as @bhawk24bob says, though plenty of upper decks are worse and it feels both cozy and spacious under the roof. If they’re going to rebuild, the best idea would be a modern version of Old Comiskey. What a damn near perfect setting for baseball.

Need to catch up to Braves and Rangers.

They seem to build new ballparks every decade.
That new Rangers ballpark is insane. Air-conditioning throughout the entire facility. I remember going to August day games at the other park and it was like torture. Even worse at the original Arlington Stadium in the 70’s and 80’s. No protection from the sun.

Having said that, I went to a Tampa game last year and thinking how the Rays would love to have the Rangers old park just sitting empty.

And for the record, I actually like Comisky. Didn’t seem bad to me.

The old Comiskey was a great park,.. too bad the Sox didn't replace it after designers had woken up to the fact that they could do a new stadium with an old feel,.. think Busch Stadium.

That new Rangers ballpark is insane. Air-conditioning throughout the entire facility. I remember going to August day games at the other park and it was like torture. Even worse at the original Arlington Stadium in the 70’s and 80’s. No protection from the sun.

Having said that, I went to a Tampa game last year and thinking how the Rays would love to have the Rangers old park just sitting empty.

And for the record, I actually like Comisky. Didn’t seem bad to me.

My Dad lived for a time in DFW back in the 70's and 80's. We went to a few Rangers games where it had to be 120 in the parking lot before the game.

I don't think the Braves used Turner Field for 20 years before they built and moved into Truist Park 5-6 years ago.
I think they were right at 20 years when they left, but yeah, they weren’t sticking around downtown for long. At least Turner Field is still being used, I guess.

Hell, I read something just today that Milwaukee is making noises ("beginning the relocation process") about getting out of Milwaukee because Miller Park (or whatever it's called nowadays) needs close to a half billion in upgrades and are expecting the locals to foot the bill.

I wonder what cities are going to whore themselves out for these ballparks...

Hell, I read something just today that Milwaukee is making noises ("beginning the relocation process") about getting out of Milwaukee because Miller Park (or whatever it's called nowadays) needs close to a half billion in upgrades and are expecting the locals to foot the bill.

Seems like its Nashville at the moment, but I really wonder what cities would do it. I dont think it brings as much as they claim it does. I dont trust their studies.

Saw that too. I have a secondary interest in the Brewers as my NL team. I’d hate to see the Brewers go. But if the White Sox leave the Chicago area, I’m done with MLB for good. After the strike season, it took until 2005 for me to even pay any attention. And I didn’t return to being truly invested like those days until about 2018 or 2019. I’ll go back to following MLS exclusively in the Summers.

Their stadium is the worst I’ve ever been to, after the old Busch Stadium.

Wanting to leave a stadium that is just a little over 30 years old...

People have lost their minds.
I agree but the crazy thing is it's now one of the oldest stadiums in MLB. I couldn't believe it when I saw that a couple of weeks ago. When the A's leave after this year, Comiskey (I will always call it that) will be the 7th oldest stadium in MLB. That's nuts.

I disagree that it's bad overall, it's just not real nice, or on the same level as the top parks.

There's no real bad views, the concourse is easy enough to get around, food and beverage is solid and transportation isn't bad with parking and CTA.

It just feels a little sterile like a concrete jungle on a highway, scant bars/restaurants around, and the knowledge that it could have been better, being built just a year or two before cool "retro" parks were built in cities like Baltimore and Cleveland.

If I had to guess they will be playing in the current stadium for the foreseeable future. I don't know who owns all the parking lots (probably the same state entity as the stadium) but maybe something creative could be done with some of those in terms of a quasi entertainment district.

Either way, there will be plenty of speculation and these types of stories for awhile.
I like the park. It's not nearly as bad as some people say. I like it better than the Brewers' stadium and people rave about that.

Turn the page, Jerry...finally.
He has been the most loyal owner in sports..to a fault.
Jerry Krause and Kenny Williams benefited from world titles for too long.

I like the park. It's not nearly as bad as some people say. I like it better than the Brewers' stadium and people rave about that.

Here's the thing though.

New stadiums (say...last 10 years) are so far above and beyond what was built even in the 90's.

These parks from that era...Baltimore, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Chi Sox, D-Backs, etc (I know I'm missing others) - my bet is even though from a playing perspective they're still perfectly fine stadiums - you have to remember that these were built before things like the internet and smart phones became as giant as they are now.

They aren't "old", but they are probably badly out of date by comparison. They more or less followed the old school ways of building a "baseball only stadium" but probably aren't really upgradeable at a reasonable price - which means from a value perspective, in owners' and MLB's minds it's much better to put that money towards something that will project further into the future from a lifespan aspect.

If you think about it - Milwaukee, Cleveland, Baltimore, White Sox, Arizona - they're all smaller, cozier ballparks. Probably all built on a strict budget given the markets at those times.

They weren't building their own "New Yankee Stadium" palaces. They didn't have $2B to throw around. Chances are, there wasn't a whole lot of "life span/life expansion" capabilities built in.

Here's the chilling part. On deck are Detroit, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Washington, San Francisco, Denver, Seattle, Houston...IIRC every one of them built in the 2000's. And my bet is most all of them followed the exact same blueprint. How soon until all those are considered "old"?

And I haven't even mentioned the Dodgers, Boston, the Cubs, and Kansas City yet.

I think it's funny they've talked expansion the past couple years. Hell, reality might set in and contraction is what happens. The ol' "hold your city for ransom" trick probably ain't gonna work like it used to any more because there aren't 10 cities begging for MLB franchises.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Farm Bureau Ballpark for tonight's major league baseball game between the Portland Mariners and your Iowa Royals!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT