ADVERTISEMENT

Child labor makes a comeback in Alabama

mnole03

HR Legend
Mar 20, 2005
A Reuters investigation found children as young as 12 in a metal stamping plant.

One former worker at SMART, an adult migrant who left for another auto industry job last year, said there were around 50 underage workers between the different plant shifts, adding that he knew some of them personally. Another former adult worker at SMART, a U.S. citizen who also left the plant last year, said she worked alongside about a dozen minors on her shift.

• Love
Reactions: Moral
I don't see the problem here.

Since the GOP won't pass any legislation to help out all those unwanted fetuses post-birth, SOME major company has to "step up" and "provide them job opportunities" to "pick themselves up by their bootstraps"...

👀 👀 👀

The Kia and Hyundai plants along the Ala/Ga border have a history of poor working conditions and injuries, with stamping being a particularly dangerous task.

Cause kids in other countries have been doing it for years. Somebody gotta pay for all those Oregon uniforms y’all.

....and Indiana........er......."Indinia"

E-eBslsXEAYvCte

#GradeSchoolersCanBePoorSpellers

The Kia and Hyundai plants along the Ala/Ga border have a history of poor working conditions and injuries, with stamping being a particularly dangerous task.
Shortage of folks who want those jobs as a result?

Shortage of folks who want those jobs as a result?
There is a shortage of workers for many jobs.
Those plants are sited there for multiple reasons. Access transport hubs, cheap labor, lesser safety oversight, etc…

There is a shortage of workers for many jobs.
Those plants are sited there for multiple reasons. Access transport hubs, cheap labor, lesser safety oversight, etc…
They’re non union I believe but they located them in areas where good jobs are welcomed by state and local governments.

Trumpanzees won't be happy until we roll back the clock to the mid-1800s or earlier.
After you’ve fed your face at Jollibee and then joined the protest in Tampa maybe you can explain - or prove - your silly statement?

After you’ve fed your face at Jollibee and then joined the protest in Tampa maybe you can explain - or prove - your silly statement?
Perhaps he is thinking about that crazy new band - Sam Alito and the Original Intents.

Reactions: Tom Paris
They’re non union I believe but they located them in areas where good jobs are welcomed by state and local governments.
What does a “good job” suggest to you, if 12 year olds qualify? Stamping out car parts is pretty dang intense for skilled, mature workers.
My old man worked for child labor protection in his time. Why in this day and time is child labor in a very production oriented situation called a “good job”?
They have no Union protection. They are pushed for production. The pay is hardly better than fast food. The state is allowing the manufacturer freedom to hire at will. The benefits package is laughable,.. what does pension mean they ask?
All is good, no need to be concerned about these kids. After all, they are good jobs.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
What does a “good job” suggest to you, if 12 year olds qualify? Stamping out car parts is pretty dang intense for skilled, mature workers.
My old man worked for child labor protection in his time. Why in this day and time is child labor in a very production oriented situation called a “good job”?
They have no Union protection. They are pushed for production. The pay is hardly better than fast food. The state is allowing the manufacturer freedom to hire at will. The benefits package is laughable,.. what does pension mean they ask?
All is good, no need to be concerned about these kids. After all, they are good jobs.

This shit wouldn't happen anywhere in the US, if the upper managers and execs went to jail for ~decade long prison sentences for it.

Were that the law, they would have routine verification to ensure NO plant under their control had any of this. There'd be regular audits to ensure compliance.

Where oh where you friggin dimwit did I say kids should take those jobs? TWO SEPARATE THINGS.
God Almighty I detest deliberate stupidity.

Reactions: billanole
A Reuters investigation found children as young as 12 in a metal stamping plant.

One former worker at SMART, an adult migrant who left for another auto industry job last year, said there were around 50 underage workers between the different plant shifts, adding that he knew some of them personally. Another former adult worker at SMART, a U.S. citizen who also left the plant last year, said she worked alongside about a dozen minors on her shift.

Unregulated Capitalism at it's finest. This is the world they want, as long "my" things are cheap.

This shit wouldn't happen anywhere in the US, if the upper managers and execs went to jail for ~decade long prison sentences for it.

Were that the law, they would have routine verification to ensure NO plant under their control had any of this. There'd be regular audits to ensure compliance.
Hyundai is shocked, SHOCKED, to find child labor being used at it's subsidiary.

Wierd. Your post is weird.
You post about good jobs.
OK.
The entire reason that companies have located to those areas in the first place is that people are so glad to have a “good job” they look past these things and NO it’s not right.
Stating that is not WEIRD. It’s an unfortunate fact and it’s also no excuse for allowing such things to occur. The people who hired these children need to be in jail.

Hopefully a journalist gets close enough to Kay Ivey to ask her about this kind of stuff going on in Alabama. She'll probably waive around a handgun and talk about the peril caused by TG groomers, but it would be nice if she was put on the spot.

The entire reason that companies have located to those areas in the first place is that people are so glad to have a “good job” they look past these things and NO it’s not right.
Stating that is not WEIRD. It’s an unfortunate fact and it’s also no excuse for allowing such things to occur. The people who hired these children need to be in jail.
Yup. No reason to site jobs where a union will complain about things. Plus, you can suppress wages. It's a win / win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT