ADVERTISEMENT

Chili and Cinnamon Rolls

McLovin32

HB Legend
Feb 1, 2008
So I had never had this combination until this weekend. Always thought it sounded.....well for lack of better words, ****ing gross. But I tried it Friday night and turns out it’s pretty tasty. I was told that it’s super weird my high school didn’t serve it when I was younger.

I’ve always been a chili and corn bread guy. That’s normal to me. Chili and cinnamon rolls seemed weird. Apparently it’s an “Iowa thing” but I haven’t done my research. Anyways, is it weird that I’m 33 and just had it for the first time? I’ve lived in Iowa since I was 7.

Reactions: Scott559
Well I’m 61, have lived in Iowa all my life, and only just heard of chili and cinnamon rolls a couple of months ago.

Reactions: ping72
Grew up in Iowa and have been eating chili and cinnamon rolls since I was 7. Anything else seems weird to me. We had it for school lunch at least twice a month.

Apparently cinnamon bread and cheez whiz is a thing in some areas. I always thought that was a WTF combo.

This was an Iowa school lunch thing for sure.

What puzzles me is that this is at least the fourth time I’ve seen/heard it mentioned this year, and I haven’t heard anything about it since I graduated HS in 1996. I wonder why it’s trending.

From SE Iowa, it was one of the lunches we looked forward to. The cinnamon rolls were huge and awesome, fresh baked, they still make them today.

They served this at school, but I always considered them separate items. As in you eat your chili and then you have desert. Are you supposed to dunk the roll in the chili?

They served this at school, but I always considered them separate items. As in you eat your chili and then you have desert. Are you supposed to dunk the roll in the chili?

Now I’m doubting myself and trying to remember if we were served cinnamon rolls on chili days. Maybe?? If so, I also never correlated the main dish and the dessert as a pairing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT