ADVERTISEMENT

China just cancelled orders for soybeans from USA...

Not a big problem. China is getting them from Canada and Brazil instead of us. So now we just sell our soybeans to Japan and the Netherlands and other countries who won't be able to buy as many from Canada and Brazil because China is buying all of them.

By pulling out of the U.S. and buying from other sources China is paying 8% more to make sure that farmers in the USA will make less. They knew who to target.

Not a big problem. China is getting them from Canada and Brazil instead of us. So now we just sell our soybeans to Japan and the Netherlands and other countries who won't be able to buy as many from Canada and Brazil because China is buying all of them.
That's a whole lot of things that have to come together to make that happen. In theory... sounds good. In reality... highly doubt that goes according to plan.

This spur of the moment tariff/trade war Trump is threatening doesn't appear to be a very well thought out plan. It was a knee jerk reaction.

Maybe our distinguished Ambassador to Yina will clear this up.:p:p:p:p

Last edited:
That's a whole lot of things that have to come together to make that happen. In theory... sounds good. In reality... highly doubt that goes according to plan.

This spur of the moment tariff/trade war Trump is threatening doesn't appear to be a very well thought out plan. It was a knee jerk reaction.
There are obviously some logistics that would need to be worked out but I don't think they are insurmountable, especially given that we're already selling soybeans to those countries anyway. Also, for reasons I don't understand we buy about half a million metric tonnes of soybeans from Canada annually. Presumably if Canada is selling more soybeans to China then we just won't buy as much from them and we can replace that amount with our domestic supply.

Joni and Chuck are getting abused by Trump. Lower ethanol standards, and weakening soybean markets. In return Chuck rubber stamps 99 percent of Trump’s judicial nominees and Joni defends the train wreck that is Scott Pruitt.

Throw in ambassador Terry.

“How stupid are the people in Iowa?” - The President

Reactions: h-hawk

Heard an interview a week or two ago from an economist that calculates the impact of decisions like these. Brazil wins bigly, everyone else in the world loses considerably.

Heard an interview a week or two ago from an economist that calculates the impact of decisions like these. Brazil wins bigly, everyone else in the world loses considerably.
Maybe it helps Caterpillar and John Deere. Brazil is going to need more heavy equipment if they want to raze enough rainforest to supply all of China's soy sauce.

Maybe it helps Caterpillar and John Deere. Brazil is going to need more heavy equipment if they want to raze enough rainforest to supply all of China's soy sauce.

Soybeans don’t grow in the (former) rainforest. They grow them in a very different part of the country.

JD is only about 14% of tractor sales in Brazil. They go for MF, Valtra and New Holland.

But you’re free to continue making sh!t up if you’d like.

Reactions: srams21 and MitchL
You guys do realize that a cancellation of a shipment of beans has happened many times before, several times by China before this tariff talk, right?
They are the biggest purchaser of beans, and probably some of the biggest market speculators around. They'll cancel a shipment, price will go down, and we'll see a couple million tons bought by "unknown".
Did you watch exports after the original soybean tariff announcement? Guess who bought a few million metric tons of soybeans after beans lost .25 on the board? "Unknown" purchaser.

Before you spew headlines like this, make sure you actually know what you're talking about. Cancelled shipments suck, no doubt, but it isn't exactly uncommon.

You guys do realize that a cancellation of a shipment of beans has happened many times before, several times by China before this tariff talk, right?
They are the biggest purchaser of beans, and probably some of the biggest market speculators around. They'll cancel a shipment, price will go down, and we'll see a couple million tons bought by "unknown".
Did you watch exports after the original soybean tariff announcement? Guess who bought a few million metric tons of soybeans after beans lost .25 on the board? "Unknown" purchaser.

Before you spew headlines like this, make sure you actually know what you're talking about. Cancelled shipments suck, no doubt, but it isn't exactly uncommon.

That’s pretty standard operating for the Chinese. Grain traders absolutely hate them

Soybeans don’t grow in the (former) rainforest. They grow them in a very different part of the country.

JD is only about 14% of tractor sales in Brazil. They go for MF, Valtra and New Holland.

But you’re free to continue making sh!t up if you’d like.
It was sarcasm. Relax.

Reactions: ping72
Trade wars are good, and easy to win!

I would rather be on the US side of this than Chinas side if we go full blown.

The US will largely see price increases on things they don’t really need. There are exceptions but for the most part we don’t need the imports.

China on the other hand would have millions of people out of work.

Without the draw of US sales their factories will be idle.

Tired of the chicken little crap

That’s pretty standard operating for the Chinese. Grain traders absolutely hate them

Absolutely, but don't tell our resident Lefties that, I mean, who would want to have knowledge of what they post about when assuming they know so much is sooo much easier.

Reactions: SIXERS24
People will have to eat something.

It’s a world commodity. I assume Brazil didn’t just dump their harvest into the ocean before China started buying.

Actions have consequences.

Next time people should think before pulling the "R" lever.

Because the Dems are pro-farmer. Go have a transgender walk into the local Co-Op, use the unisex bathroom, then ask the farmers how they feel about the current Democrat platform.

Trump's trade henchmen, Mnuchin, Lighthizer, Navarro, are now in Beijing trying to negotiate a deal related to the 301 conflict. If you think they have US agricultural interests at the front of their priority list while they are over there, you would be wrong. Maybe the cancellation is a shot across the bow while they are over there, maybe its not. But the fact is, the mere threat of the 25% tariff is already having an effect on US exports, and that will translate to what really matters, the US price.

(Reuters) - U.S. soybean sales to China ground to a halt after Beijing threatened tariffs on imports, the CEO of agricultural trader Bunge Ltd said on Wednesday, the latest sign of mounting trade tensions upsetting the global flow of commodities.

Countries such as Brazil and Canada are increasing soybean sales to China following Beijing’s threat last month to impose a 25 percent tariff on imports of U.S. soybeans, Chief Executive Soren Schroder said in an interview. U.S. farmers rely on China as the top buyer of soybeans, but at a current price of about $420 per ton, that translates to a potential tax of more than $100 per ton on shipments.

“Nobody’s willing to take the risk of committing to U.S. soybeans to China in the current context, knowing that there could be a $100 penalty from one day to the other, and no way of managing that risk,” Schroder said after the company reported a quarterly loss.

Soybeans were the United States’ most valuable agricultural export last year to China, which bought $12 billion of the crop.

So . . . our farmers got less money?

And China (er, Unknown) got the beans it wanted?

For less money.

Winning.

If you are China.

I would rather be on the US side of this than Chinas side if we go full blown.

The US will largely see price increases on things they don’t really need. There are exceptions but for the most part we don’t need the imports.

China on the other hand would have millions of people out of work.

Without the draw of US sales their factories will be idle.

Tired of the chicken little crap
Both countries lose in a trade war and that is why they are stupid.

Absolutely, but don't tell our resident Lefties that, I mean, who would want to have knowledge of what they post about when assuming they know so much is sooo much easier.
What you don't seem to comprehend is that even the hint of an export problem will affect farmer/rancher buying decisions. Reducing or eliminating big ticket purchases like Ford trucks and John Deere tractors/combines will be the first thing that happens.

The trickle down effect will be felt as well.

But carry on with your belief that this administration has a well thought out plan.

If all trade wars are bad can I assume all trade deals are perfect from day one?

Why have trade deals if any conflict is always bad?

I don’t think you can have a blanket statement like that without a bunch of false assumptions.

Trump's trade henchmen, Mnuchin, Lighthizer, Navarro, are now in Beijing trying to negotiate a deal related to the 301 conflict. If you think they have US agricultural interests at the front of their priority list while they are over there, you would be wrong. Maybe the cancellation is a shot across the bow while they are over there, maybe its not. But the fact is, the mere threat of the 25% tariff is already having an effect on US exports, and that will translate to what really matters, the US price.

(Reuters) - U.S. soybean sales to China ground to a halt after Beijing threatened tariffs on imports, the CEO of agricultural trader Bunge Ltd said on Wednesday, the latest sign of mounting trade tensions upsetting the global flow of commodities.

Countries such as Brazil and Canada are increasing soybean sales to China following Beijing’s threat last month to impose a 25 percent tariff on imports of U.S. soybeans, Chief Executive Soren Schroder said in an interview. U.S. farmers rely on China as the top buyer of soybeans, but at a current price of about $420 per ton, that translates to a potential tax of more than $100 per ton on shipments.

“Nobody’s willing to take the risk of committing to U.S. soybeans to China in the current context, knowing that there could be a $100 penalty from one day to the other, and no way of managing that risk,” Schroder said after the company reported a quarterly loss.

Soybeans were the United States’ most valuable agricultural export last year to China, which bought $12 billion of the crop.

Yep, have read the article. It still doesn't change the fact that a tariff still isn't in place, and soybean shipment cancellations are nothing new. It hurts the market, but it hurt the market 10 years ago, 15 years ago, etc. Just because they cancelled a shipment now doesn't mean it directly correlates with tariff talk. Do some research, I promise you'll find many cancelled soybean shipments from destinations including China, but other countries as well. Again, it's nothing new.

So . . . our farmers got less money?

And China (er, Unknown) got the beans it wanted?

For less money.

Winning.

If you are China.

Same as above, China can, and has before, manipulated the market to benefit themselves. They'll cancel a shipment or two of beans, the traders will over react, which will drop the market. Once the market has dropped, an order will be placed.

What you don't seem to comprehend is that even the hint of an export problem will affect farmer/rancher buying decisions. Reducing or eliminating big ticket purchases like Ford trucks and John Deere tractors/combines will be the first thing that happens.

The trickle down effect will be felt as well.

But carry on with your belief that this administration has a well thought out plan.

MitchL, I live in the rural north central part of Iowa, I work with farmers daily, ag lenders, FSA office, and I spend my PTO in a tractor helping our family farming operation. Believe me, I comprehend what happened, and I know it effects our farmers, and how it trickles down in the local economies. Markets over react to things less severe than a bean shipment all of the time, and have you looked at the bean market today following this announcement? What is it, limit down? No? Old crop and new crop are a penny off of yesterday's close. Might it change as the day goes on, sure, but you'd think there'd be some huge market reaction, the way some of you are talking.

**Edit to add - I don't have a belief that the administration has a well thought out plan. I didn't mutter those words once. However, I'm responding to this thread because some dipshit who knows nothing about farming, marketing, and how our exports work comes to make a big stink about a China soybean cancellation like it's something new, when it isn't.

Plus, where do you all think China is going to get their soybeans from? Brazil? That is their next best bet, right? Do you know how their ports work? How bad their roads are? How often (yearly) they have trucker strikes? How long it takes them to get a shipment loaded and actually out of port? China is playing the game, putting fear into the market. If they source all their beans from Brazil, cool, sucks for us. But, what are the other countries who used to source their beans from Brazil going to do? Go hungry? Nope, they'll find the next available market, and who will have the beans they need? Us. Global demand didn't change because China whispered about a possible tariff on soybeans.

ADVERTISEMENT