ADVERTISEMENT

China Warns U.S. of 'Full-Scale Confrontation,' Talks Taiwan, Ukraine in Call

Apr 18, 2021
Buckhead GA
China has warned the U.S. that the two leading powers would be heading for all-out conflict if Washington pursues a purely competitive agenda toward Beijing, during a call in which top diplomats discussed the flashpoints of Taiwan and Ukraine.

U.S. officials have expressed disappointment, however, in China's response to Russia's actions toward Ukraine as Beijing and Moscow only tightened their "comprehensive strategic partnership of coordination for the new era."

In a joint statement following Xi and Putin's summit at the beginning of the Winter Olympic Games in Beijing earlier this month, the two countries vowed to work even more closely together on foreign policy, among other sectors, and it was said that "the Chinese side is sympathetic to and supports the proposals put forward by the Russian Federation to create long-term legally binding security guarantees in Europe."

"We did note with alarm China's tacit approval of Putin's activities here in the region," Austin said at the time. "So I'm not sure that we can make any kind of a direct inference from what you just raised, but certainly, those are things that we'll continue to watch going forward."

US Navy to Army and Air Force - "You take care of Putin, we'll defend Taiwan. " (Hoping it does not come to that obviously.)

Reactions: cigaretteman
Haha Chiner. All talk no do. First pick up your frozen stiffs from Galwan. Nutsack, you are in full flow. Where is your anal partner @Nat Algren

China is the only world power that could be a problem for the US. Bi is right. Don't need Taiwan/China heating up right now.

US Navy to Army and Air Force - "You take care of Putin, we'll defend Taiwan. " (Hoping it does not come to that obviously.)
There are 700,000 Americans that take blood pressure medicine every day. We have a two-week supply.
Who takes care of them when the balloon goes up?

@BlackNGoldBleeder we can revist the Trump vs Biden conversation if we end up with troops on the ground fighting Russia but if we somehow end up in a war against China there isn't a conversation to be had.
China already unleashed the covid on the world and zero accountability has been demanded of them by the U.S., I highly doubt they would be called out for taking back Taiwan.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
@BlackNGoldBleeder we can revist the Trump vs Biden conversation if we end up with troops on the ground fighting Russia but if we somehow end up in a war against China there isn't a conversation to be had.
This is what I was afraid of. A chain reaction that would encourage China to get froggy.

How do you see Trump navigating through this if he were still poongrabber in chief?

This is what I was afraid of. A chain reaction that would encourage China to get froggy.

How do you see Trump navigating through this if he were still poongrabber in chief?
This has been the plan for Russia all along. No way he moves without China's approval.

I think what we are seeing is cards being played after the lead card. I don't think Putin would be as aggressive if Trump were still around and China would not have that hand to follow. I don't think Trump would steer clear of this due to his great ability to lead, I think the world knows that you dont **** with crazy and he was crazy. I will say I am far less concerned of a large scale war with Biden than Trump. Biden will handle it as a war, Trump would have possibly destroyed the world if given the green light.

As simple as this is, everyone knows, you dont **** with crazy.

Well, it's becoming very clear to me that the reason Putin doesn't fear sanctions is that China is going to play no part in them and will be more than happy to supply them with whatever they need. It looks like using southeast Asia as our manufacturing center is going to finally really bite us in the ass. (And no, I'm not cheering for that to happen. It's just a fire we've been playing with for decades and it finally seems like it could really burn us).

Well, it's becoming very clear to me that the reason Putin doesn't fear sanctions is that China is going to play no part in them and will be more than happy to supply them with whatever they need. It looks like using southeast Asia as our manufacturing center is going to finally really bite us in the ass. (And no, I'm not cheering for that to happen. It's just a fire we've been playing with for decades and it finally seems like it could really burn us).
Been saying that all along. The stern talking to Biden gave them was a ****ing joke. China already told Russia they would back Russia if there was even the smallest reason to do so.

I mean, how long would it take to completely restructure our economy to be able to manufacture stuff here again? Can we even get both parties to agree that we need to do that? We were able to convert our entire economy during WWII in a couple years. Can we do that again?

Reactions: Moral and IACub
Been saying that all along. The stern talking to Biden gave them was a ****ing joke. China already told Russia they would back Russia if there was even the smallest reason to do so.
I was worried about that too, but it was a step that needed to be taken imo. Sometimes, you need to actually see them do what we think they will do before you can move on to the next step. Especially when there is no way to prevent them from taking that step. Sadly, China holds the power right now since they control all of our manufacturing. Now, the real test is to see what Biden does next. I have to think they understood what was going to happen and they had a next step ready to go. We'll see soon I guess.

I mean, how long would it take to completely restructure our economy to be able to manufacture stuff here again? Can we even get both parties to agree that we need to do that? We were able to convert our entire economy during WWII in a couple years. Can we do that again?
Great question. I don't even know what "manufacturing" we would be able to get into that is profitable enough to pay a living wage. China is China because it isn't afraid to starve its poor.

Last edited:
Reactions: IACub and BioHawk
Well…this would not be an ideal outcome….but make no mistake about it….The USA would defend Taiwan. This isn’t the Ukraine…Taiwan is a long standing defense pact.

so….are we doing this?

We can’t get teenagers to flip burgers and you want to talk “manufacturing stuff?”

Well…this would not be an ideal outcome….but make no mistake about it….The USA would defend Taiwan. This isn’t the Ukraine…Taiwan is a long standing defense pact.
so….are we doing this?
Jimmy Carter withdrew the U.S. from the Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty, and that took effect in 1980.

Taiwan Relations Act doesn’t specify the U.S. goes to war for Taiwan. There isn’t anything analogous to NATO’s article 5 for Taiwan.

Probably not. But we could shift things to our hemisphere for sure. Production in Mexico and Brazil to start. Start using smaller countries to do what China has done and build their economies. Places like Guatemala. Won't be easy but needs to happen. Jump off in a big way with Puerto Rico and build things out there to make them really strong. They are part of us after all.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye

so….are we doing this?
We will defend Taiwan because if it falls Japan, Korea, and Australia would be incredibly vulnerable. We aren't going to concede Taiwan.

Biden of course is demonstrating what real weakness looks like in a President. Three more years of this is incredibly dangerous

Reactions: SIXERS24
Not possible. We don't have enough bodies to fill all the open jobs we have now.

What we need to do is for out corporations to pull manufacturing out of China and diversify it amongst friendly countries as well as bring as much as possible home. India, Mexico and South America, etc. Being so dependent on China is a national security issue.

Stress Test for a Fading Superpower

And as we went crusading for a new world order, Vladimir Putin’s Russia gradually recovered from its crushing Cold War defeat, and China began to move out of America’s shadow to become the most powerful rival modern America had ever faced.
Because America entered both world wars of the 20th century last, while all the other great powers bled one another, and because we outlasted the Soviet Empire in the Cold War, America emerged, in the term of President George H.W. Bush, as “the last superpower.”

We had it all. We were the “indispensable nation.” We saw further into the future. We could impose our “benevolent global hegemony” on all mankind. And so it was that we set out to create a “new world order,” plunging into successive wars in Iraq, the Balkans, Afghanistan, Iraq again, Syria, Libya, Yemen.

So doing, we bled ourselves, distracted ourselves, exhausted ourselves and sundered ourselves, until half the country was echoing George McGovern’s 1972 campaign slogan: “Come home, America.”

And as we went crusading for a new world order, Vladimir Putin’s Russia gradually recovered from its crushing Cold War defeat, and China began to move out of America’s shadow to become the most powerful rival modern America had ever faced.

Now, U.S. hegemony is being everywhere challenged — in Eastern Europe, the Near East, Southeast Asia, East Asia. And the challenges arise from autocrats united in their resolve to reduce the power and the presence of the United States in their part of the world.
All of America’s adversaries have something in common: They want us out of their neighborhood.

After President Joe Biden’s humiliating withdrawal from Afghanistan, Ukraine is the site of the latest challenge, triggered by Russia’s deployment of some 100,000 troops on Ukraine’s borders.

Given that he caused this crisis, Putin is unlikely to withdraw all his forces without visible assurances that Ukraine never becomes a member of NATO. And, given that no NATO ally or neighbor of Ukraine has shown a disposition to fight Russia for Ukraine, Putin is likely ultimately to prevail.

Neither Georgia nor Ukraine will soon be invited to join NATO, no matter the “open door” policy of the alliance.

And as Putin is committed to creating a sphere of influence where no next-door neighbor is a NATO ally, we are probably only at the beginning of a series of crises over the exclusion of nations from the alliance.

A second member of the global anti-American front is Iran.

The U.S. and Iran are said to be close to renewing the nuclear deal from which former President Donald Trump walked away. Yet, the persistent threat from Iran and its radical allies like the Houthi rebels in Yemen, Shia militia in Syria and Iraq, and Hezbollah in Lebanon is likely to complicate any U.S. effort to extricate ourselves from a Middle East that has consumed so much of our attention and resources since 9/11.

In East Asia, China has begun anew sending military aircraft into the Air Defense Identification Zone of Taiwan, and it has never relinquished its claim to that island of 24 million and former U.S. ally. After the Ukraine crisis is resolved, Taiwan is likely to soon be back on the front burner.

If we would not fight Russia on behalf of Ukraine, why would we go to war with China to defend the independence of Taiwan, when, 50 years ago this month, President Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger declared Taiwan to be “a part of China”?

North Korea has resumed testing its cruise and ballistic missiles. And Pyongyang is not going to hold off forever the testing of nuclear weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles.
The question here is how far off is the next confrontation. And, as there is no U.S. national disposition to fight for Ukraine, it is hard to believe that, 70 years after sending 350,000 troops to South Korea, we would send an army of that size to again fight the North.

Bottom line: The balance of power is constantly shifting. And in this new century, it has been shifting in favor of America’s adversaries, all of whom wish to see us diminished.

Where former President George W. Bush warned of an “axis of evil” that included Iraq, Iran and North Korea, its successor today includes Russia, China, Iran and North Korea, a far more formidable axis. Moreover, America’s relative power and willingness to use it is far diminished from what it was in George Bush’s day.

The new correlation of forces:
North Korea has become a full-fledged nuclear power with intercontinental ballistic missiles that can hit the USA. Russia’s armed forces are more imposing than they were two decades ago. China has swept past every rival power to the United States, while America’s allies are less powerful and less united behind it.

Meanwhile, America has run up a national debt larger than the entire U.S. economy. Its trade deficits are at record levels. Its borders are being overrun by migrants from all over the world. And its disposition to intervene, engage and fight for democracy has rarely been lower.
The global stress test of the last superpower is on, and it is not likely we will pass it with a grade as high as the one we had earned by the Cold War’s end.

Link

ADVERTISEMENT